X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gratitude

Good morning.
    New to Kubuntu, and new to the community.

I began searching for and trying linux when tasked with updating the terminals at work. I did not want to propose the cost of updating all the hardware to meet Windows 7 and none of us at the office are very pleased with MS in general. If everyone at the office would have to learn their way around a new system anyway, I wanted to find one that didnt require us to stay enslaved to a marketing com.. i mean software company.

I 've been using Ubuntu 9.04 since last winter sometime, and 10.04 since it released. I wasnt quite satisfied with it (i guess it felt... kind of clunky..).

this week I downloaded and tried openSUSE 11.3. I was rather disappointed with the instability. (intel graphics driver issues that caused frequent system freezes, my touch-pad didn't work right at all -- no tap, scroll, and sometimes wouldn't move the cursor smoothly) . It may have just been me, and perhaps I did not give it a fighting chance, but the package manager... YaST iirc.. was hard to work with, when selecting packages and applying changes, for one reason or another several dependency packages failed. ..
    All in all, I'm sure its a fine OS, just not what I was looking for when planning to migrate less than savvy users from years of XP pro use to a totally new environment.

Then I looked at Kubuntu (which I should have done long ago) because it dawned on me that the reason I tried openSUSE was because of the nice looking UI of the KDE 4.#.

Well, yesterday I went ahead and downloaded Kubuntu, and this is exactly what I was looking for.
    No graphic issues, touch pad works, I can even use my Fn + Screenbrightness keys now (that wouldnt even work in Ubuntu). I am VERY pleased with this system, and lost sleep last night playing with it.

Well, I apologize for my lack of writing skills, just wanted to express gratitude to the Kubuntu... people, and to this community. I think its fantastic!

see you around
    "Life would be alot more fun if it had save points..."

Re: Gratitude

Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious... which version did you install? Lucid Lynx or Maverick? And, what hardware did you install it on?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, motoburn

I've tried openSuse 11.3 as well and also found it seriously lacking in terms of quality.
      Their package manager is very poorly done. You must be connected to the internet to use it at all, otherwise it doesn't work properly, it's *very* slow downloading the upgrade lists (which it does at every startup) etc.

Kubuntu Lucid is certainly a great deal better there.

If you should have any questions, just ask here.
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Always nice to see a new member. Nicer still when they have positive things to say.

If you decide to stick with us, I'm sure you will find that KFN is a gold mine of information and support. KFN is one of the best Kubuntu Linux resources on the 'Net you will find. We are a relatively small community (the number of truly active members is small), but the amount of information available here is priceless.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Always nice to see a new member. Nicer still when they have positive things to say.

If you decide to stick with us, I'm sure you will find that KFN is a gold mine of information and support. KFN is one of the best Kubuntu Linux resources on the 'Net you will find. We are a relatively small community (the number of truly active members is small), but the amount of information available here is priceless.
          Couldn't have said better! +1

Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Welcome to the forum!
            Thanks
            I'm curious... which version did you install? Lucid Lynx or Maverick? And, what hardware did you install it on?
            Code:
            moto@lenovo-g550:~$ lsb_release -a
            No LSB modules are available.
            Distributor ID: Ubuntu
            Description:  Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
            Release:    10.04
            Codename:    lucid

============= CPUs =============
            moto@lenovo-g550:~$ grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo #show CPU(s) info
            model name   : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU    T4400 @ 2.20GHz
            model name   : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU    T4400 @ 2.20GHz
            ============= MEM =============
            3904 MiB
            I know there is a better command to find that data, and have used it once before, but cant for the life of me find the thread I found it in...

I have a basic Lenovo G550 came with Win7 home... which was entirely useless to me.

Thank you Yuri sss, SnowHog, and Moon Rise for the welcome. I think I will stick around for a while
            &quot;Life would be alot more fun if it had save points...&quot;

Comment

"lsb_release -a" gives me the same output, but I am not running Ubuntu (except under the covers), like you I am running Kubuntu 10.4 with KDE 4.5.

And, like you, I too am VERY GRATEFUL Canonical and Mark Shuttlesworth (or his Millions ), and to the Kubuntu dev team, and folks like Rog131, Jonathan, Kubicle and others who work gratis to make Kubuntu even better. And to folks like Dibl and Snowhog and others who make this a GREAT forum. One of the best I've ever been a part of. Even folks who run Windows come here to ask questions.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I do like this forum, I'm a member of a few.. vbdotnet vb.net a few java/mysql forums. I've been enjoying some good reads in this forum, and particularly enjoying a refreshing 'family' like exchange between the members. thumbs up to this board!

Comment

"lsb_release -a" gives me the same output, but I am not running Ubuntu (except under the covers), like you I am running Kubuntu 10.4 with KDE 4.5.
                  The OP is running Kubuntu 10.04.1. lsb_release identifies the 'core' of the OS release, which is the Ubuntu kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    The OP is running Kubuntu 10.04.1. lsb_release identifies the 'core' of the OS release, which is the Ubuntu kernel.
                    You can use kde4-config -v to get the Qt and Kde version (4.7.0 and 4.5.0 for me).
                    For the kernel version, you can use uname -r (2.6.35-14-generic for me).
                    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

hmm.. mine are older versions than yours, and I have updated with
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      are your versions in beta?

Code:
                      moto@lenovo-g550:~$ kde4-config -v
                      Qt: 4.6.2
                      KDE Development Platform: 4.4.2 (KDE 4.4.2)
                      kde4-config: 1.0
                      moto@lenovo-g550:~$ uname -r
                      2.6.32-24-generic

Comment

That means you recently installed Lucid on your hdd and only updated your linux kernel once or twice at most. You still can get KDE 4.4.5 which I consider it to be pretty stable or 4.5.0 as yuri sss but it's not as stable as 4.4.5 for some people (like me).
                        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

In order to be able to upgrade to KDE 4.4.5, you need to add the kubuntu-ppa/ppa repository. Open Software Sources (K Menu > System > Software Sources), click on the Other Software tab, click on Add... and then copy/paste the following:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

Click Add Source and then click Close. You will be told that your package sources needs to be refreshed. Accept that.

Comment

will I miss out on anything important if I leave it as is? I'm a bit nervous about messing with it atm because everything is running so nicely..

Comment

Originally posted by motoburn
                              will I miss out on anything important if I leave it as is? I'm a bit nervous about messing with it atm because everything is running so nicely..
                              Not really, if everything is working great for you and you don't have an itch to stay on bleeding edge, you don't have to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X