X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your web browsing history is ...

available for review for searching done with Google by visiting
    https://www.google.com/history/

You have the option to delete some or all of your history, and to "pause" its collection.

I didn't know about this collection of my searches until a few minutes ago. Did you?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Your web browsing history is ...

link wants me to login. Do you have to have a google account? or am I missing something?
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      available for review for searching done with Google by visiting
      https://www.google.com/history/

You have the option to delete some or all of your history, and to "pause" its collection.
      I have a feeling this is separate from your regular browsing history.
      From the site:
      Web History relies on Google Toolbar to associate the web pages you visit with your Google Account.
      GG: I didn't know about this collection of my searches until a few minutes ago. Did you?
      It used to be that Google kept your browsing history hor 100 years, until people complained about it. So they compromised and reduced it to 99 years and everybody is happy. /sarcasm Hehe, seriously, isn't it something like 2 years? Or is it 18 months and used to be 2 years? Whatever it is, it is longer than anybody else. Google says it is essential to their business. Anyway, it does look like their "Web History" is a specific service and separate from your regular search information that they gather.

@tanderson: I don't use most Google services on principle, but I do find their "analytics" handy once in a blue moon. I just signed in with that login and it worked. So, although using some of their major services may not be a good idea, just having an account is pretty harmless I think.

Comment

Here is the "about" for everyone to see:

About Web History: Basics

* Gmail
        * Blogger
        * Buzz
        * Orkut
        * Google Reader
        * Google Bookmarks
        * » More

Print

Web History offers you more relevant search results and recommendations based on your web activity, providing you with a more personalized experience on Google.

When you create a Google Account at http://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount, you're given the option to enable Web History with your account.

With Web History, you can:

* View and search across webpages you've visited in the past, including Google searches. Now you don't have to hunt for things you've seen and liked in the past!
        * Find trends on your web activity, such as your most visited sites and top searches.
        * Get more personalized search results based on what you've searched for and which sites you've visited.
        * See personalized query suggestions in Google Suggest based on what you've searched for and which sites you've visited.
        * Filter search results by pages you've visited before using the Search options panel.

Your Web History is stored on Google servers, so you can view and manage it from any computer by signing into your Google Account. We store information related to the pages you visit, such as the URL, but don't store a snapshot of the page itself in your account.

To access your Web History, visit http://www.google.com/history

Learn how to pause your web history or remove items from your Web History.

Note: Depending upon whether or not you're signed in to a Google Account when you search, the information we use for customizing your experience will be different:

Signed-in personalization: When you're signed in, Google personalizes your search experience based on your Web History. If you don't want to receive personalized results while you're signed in, you can turn off Web History and remove it from your Google Account. You can also view and remove individual items from your Web History.

Signed-out personalization: When you're not signed in, Google customizes your search experience based on past search information linked to your browser, using a cookie. Google stores up to 180 days of signed-out search activity linked to your browser's cookie, including queries and results you click. Learn more.
        Presumably the Web History link won't show my links. LOL At the moment it does and it is interesting because it shows all the times I've logged in to Analytics and what I've searched for on the site. Very little and very boring! However I guess if one is logged in all the time, now one can keep a history file on their computer as well as your own.

What's that smell?

Comment

I looked at the oldest search of mine that Google saved. It was from December, 2008.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Mine goes back to June of 2007, which is when I think I established my google account.

Comment

I think there's another guy who agrees with all of you, too...

[img width=400 height=313]http://www.muypro.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/correol_spam.jpg[/img]
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
              Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I have a google account and my web history was off be default. Maybe they changed this sometime in the past?

Please Read Me

Comment

Does it have anything to do with Google's new privacy policies?
                  Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                  Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                  Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
                  X