X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [notspam] build a &lt; $200 linux pc

Originally posted by arochester
    @ Ole Juul

Have you seen "Linux on the Toshiba Satellite Pro 490XCDT" ? - http://www.antlinux.com/Toshiba490XCDT/
    Yes, many times. I kept running into that one in my many hours of searching. Thanks though! Unfortunately the most interesting part is the config file and his link is broken. I've fiddeled with the file a lot so probably that's not the problem. I believe the driver runs buggy on this machine. At least that is what it looks like from the old bug reports.

Edit: @wizzard: Sorry, I seem to be hijacking your thread!

Comment

@ Ole Juul

If you feel comfortable with a BSD like make up and want to have a bare bones system on which you can build exactly what you want I can only recommend Arch.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for the idea toad. I've heard you mention this several times and, being the conservative type that I am, just haven't been inspired to go there yet. However, if it does what you say, then perhaps I should. Based on your recommendation, I'll definitely have a look. I tried it once a long time ago, but I was just not ready yet to deal with much. Perhaps I am now.

One thing I really like in an OS though is stability. Some of the utilities that I run on my DOS machine were written in 1987! And they (thank goodness!) haven't been "maintained" or altered in any way since then. Anyway, take it from me, I'm a lunatic.

Edit: I'm downloading the Arch Core Image now. I guess tomorrow is going to be a busy day. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
          ...no offence to puppy lovers, but I just can't live with their "artwork". I imagine it can be removed, but I'd rather just have a plain OS and then add the rather elegant Fluxbox to that. I probably have a strange brain, but I couldn't immediately figure out how to use Puppy. Ubuntu without a GUI is comfortable because I'm familiar with it now, but I find FreeBSD particularly intuitive which is why I tried so hard to use it here.
          My problem with Puppy is it's a single-user system and everything's done as root. I understand somebody's made a multiuser version now, but I'm not particularly tickled with Puppy's security model. At least I have to feed Kubuntu a password in order to screw up my system
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
            Originally posted by Ole Juul
            ...no offence to puppy lovers, but I just can't live with their "artwork". I imagine it can be removed, but I'd rather just have a plain OS and then add the rather elegant Fluxbox to that. I probably have a strange brain, but I couldn't immediately figure out how to use Puppy. Ubuntu without a GUI is comfortable because I'm familiar with it now, but I find FreeBSD particularly intuitive which is why I tried so hard to use it here.
            My problem with Puppy is it's a single-user system and everything's done as root. I understand somebody's made a multiuser version now, but I'm not particularly tickled with Puppy's security model. At least I have to feed Kubuntu a password in order to screw up my system
            Wizard10000, you being serious about puppy? I find that hard a hard pill to swallow! WHO on earth would want to have a system like that as default? Must download puppy and put it on a virtual machine to find out
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
              Wizard10000, you being serious about puppy? I find that hard a hard pill to swallow! WHO on earth would want to have a system like that as default? Must download puppy and put it on a virtual machine to find out
              Read it and weep

http://puppylinux.org/news/puplets/p...1multiuseriso/
              -- anais nin

Comment

Cheers! What a load of utter tripe

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                  Cheers! What a load of utter tripe
                  Yup. It's the reason I almost never recommend Puppy, especially to someone who doesn't have a lot of Linux experience.

cheers -
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Puppy generally isn't used on modern or even recent (less than 6-7 years old) laptops or desktops, or shouldn't be.

It is for putting Linux on hardware that is too old (like 486 CPUs), slow (400MHz CPUs), and with limited resources (128MB RAM and 10 GB HDs, to run modern distros with all their features.

Boxes running Puppy are really machines hackers would want to use because almost any heavy spamming would show up immediately in reduced browser performance .... especially if, as many of these machines are, it is connected via a dial up because the owner can't afford cable.

Puppy recently released a version of based on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...1/lupu-511.iso) but customized to run on the old machines.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sorry, no offence, it just seems a really silly, silly, silly idea (to me). However, I'm sure it serves its purpose.

Comment

None taken.

I personally don't run Puppy for a variety of reasons, one being that the experience takes you back to a Linux of 6 or 8 years ago, and because it is set up to run as root. Also, it has a limited repository. If necessary one can create a user account by creating or copying a bash script in /etc/skel which would prompt for the password, start the xterm and load a desktop using the user's /home/whatevername account.

But, for folks on a tight budget (NINJA) who need to be able to browse and email, which is almost mandatory in the US today if you want to apply for or find a job, shop, bank, etc...

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X