This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[notspam] build a < $200 linux pc

Fascinating read and the system is pretty upgradeable.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2366841,00.asp

I disagree with their choice of a 64-bit OS as I think in this instance a 32-bit OS would have performed better but the foundation appears to be fairly solid.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: [notspam] build a &lt; $200 linux pc

I read that. Interesting.

Around 2002 I built my own desktop using components from various Internet supply houses. I really didn't end up saving any money but I got a machine that did exactly what I wanted within a price I could afford to pay.

Also, I've looked around for component parts to build my own laptop, but haven't found anything. Most "build your own" links are really just PC vendor customization pages. Part of the problem is that there is no standardization of components for laptops the way there is for desktops. There is no "standard" case, no standard slots, no standard displays, etc...
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Probably could be done for < $100 these days.

Isn't that the plan in India? They are rolling out a $35 Linux-based tablet PC.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I believe the India computer is a laptop or perhaps even a tablet, but it will be cheap.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I read that. Interesting.

Around 2002 I built my own desktop using components from various Internet supply houses. I really didn't end up saving any money but I got a machine that did exactly what I wanted within a price I could afford to pay.

Also, I've looked around for component parts to build my own laptop, but haven't found anything. Most "build your own" links are really just PC vendor customization pages. Part of the problem is that there is no standardization of components for laptops the way there is for desktops. There is no "standard" case, no standard slots, no standard displays, etc...
          This is a good point. I go to computer swap meets and see tons of discarded laptops in various conditions. It would be nice to have the ability to build your own laptop without having to re-invent the case, motherboard, etc.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks for the link wizard. That was an interesting read.

I wonder though, what familiarity the writer has with Linux.

And since we knew we were going to install Linux, the RAM became less of a concern.
            That is a strange statement to me. Perhaps they are not familiar with Windows. That would be me, but unlikely to be someone writing for a tech magazine. Being poor I have lots of experience trying to get some use out of old computers. The fact is that Windows is much more memory efficient that Linux. In fact all those old machine which run 95 or 98 just fine, can barely support a functional Linux distro. Try installing Linux with 8MB of RAM and see where you get. Anyway, 1GB is not really a bad amount and the machine does look very functional.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
              ...The fact is that Windows is much more memory efficient that Linux. In fact all those old machine which run 95 or 98 just fine, can barely support a functional Linux distro. Try installing Linux with 8MB of RAM and see where you get.
              Actually back in 1995 Linux would run just fine on 8mb
              -- anais nin

Comment

I recently installed Puppy 4.3.1 on a 12 year old Toshiba laptop with a keyboard joystick "mouse" that the owner was giving up on because Win95 was bug infested and running too slow, and it wasn't powerful enough for VISTA or Win7. He says it's now faster than it ever was.

Comment

wizard10000: Actually back in 1995 Linux would run just fine on 8mb
                  Hehe, ya I guess I'm mixing things up a bit here.

@GG: Me too. I'm just working on reusing a Toshiba 490XCDT (1998), but haven't decided on what exactly it's going to run. DSL runs well off the CD. I was hoping for FreeBSD with Fluxbox, but so far the graphics adapter is fighting me - but the battle isn't over yet. lol We'll see.

Comment

The Toshiba I converted was limited to 800x600 by the graphic chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                      @GG: Me too. I'm just working on reusing a Toshiba 490XCDT (1998), but haven't decided on what exactly it's going to run. DSL runs well off the CD. I was hoping for FreeBSD with Fluxbox, but so far the graphics adapter is fighting me - but the battle isn't over yet. lol We'll see.
                      I used to use Vector Linux on old, weird hardware - it was the only distribution I found that supported all the hardware on my outlaws' old IBM Thinkpad, which was about the same vintage as your Toshiba. They've got both a lightweight and a full distribution.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion wizard. I'm actually a Vectorlinux fan from a long way back. I especially suggest it to people who like something looking like a normal desktop - either the low resource (STD) version or their office package. Vectorlinux rocks on old stuff!

In this case it is for my wife and it would probably be better if it was Debian based so she can use it as usual because she's not that interested in computers. After Kubuntu 10.04 wouldn't install on her computer she's now using Fluxbox (on Ubuntu) and loving it, so I thought that FreeBSD/fluxbox would be suitable. After all, FreeBSD works a lot like Debian with the package management and I'm starting to really like it.

Anyway, I guess minimal (or old?) hardware is a suitable topic in this thread eh? So. Where I got to is that FreeBSD is just not going to go on that machine. I've spent hours and X11 is refusing to run on that S3 VIRGE graphics adaptor. I give up. As we speak, I'm installing Ubuntu server 10.04 and it is chugging away. (been a while now, lol) I don't have too high hopes but thought it would be worth knowing if it would work. If it doesn't, then next up is a minimal Debian install. I'm actually looking forward to that and just now downloading a 140MB netinstall iso.

Comment

@ Ole Juul

GG swears by puppy linux - you might want to give that a try. My vote is for DSL (damn small linux) which still runs on a 2.24 kernel. For those with new and fast hardware there is 2.6 kernel version out as well. If either of those don't fly you ought to get a crank to get the machine running
                          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

@ Ole Juul

Have you seen "Linux on the Toshiba Satellite Pro 490XCDT" ? - http://www.antlinux.com/Toshiba490XCDT/
                            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks toad. Yes, I've got a copy right here. Tried it and it ran fine off the disk. From what people say it is a well conceived distro. Regarding DSL, my disk is old, so if I do decide to use it, I'll look up your suggestion of of a 2.6 kernel version. Thanks for that heads up.

However, no offence to puppy lovers, but I just can't live with their "artwork". I imagine it can be removed, but I'd rather just have a plain OS and then add the rather elegant Fluxbox to that. I probably have a strange brain, but I couldn't immediately figure out how to use Puppy. Ubuntu without a GUI is comfortable because I'm familiar with it now, but I find FreeBSD particularly intuitive which is why I tried so hard to use it here.

PS: Ubuntu server is at 74% loading "language" where it's been for the last hour. I'm off to bed so hopefully it'll be done by morning. (noon)

Comment

Working...
                              X