This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Kubuntu!

Hey, guys. I'm completely new to this forum and I thought I'd say 'Hi" and 'Thanx!"

I've been a Windows user for 5 years, since XP was king and Vista was scorned (still is, I think).

Anyways, I got tired of all the rebooting and mess that Windows did and decided to run Ubuntu after hearing a friend rave about it. Well, my friend apparently didn't have the same kind of computer as mine, a Dell Inspiron 531, and I had a hard time with flash and my graphics driver. I had video freeze for 10 or 15 seconds at a time while watching a show. I thought I finally had it with Linux. Everytime I ever tried a distro, I couldn't get something to work and it was no different with the newest version of Ubuntu.

But as I researched my problems, I noticed the Kubuntu didn't seem to have the same issues. So I thought, "Well, one more distro." I couldn't be more pleased. Everything just works. I can watch and convert videos, play videos online and everything.

My only mild complaint I had with Kubuntu was the software manager didn't list all available programs like Ubuntu's did. I had to type in a program to see if it was available or run 'get apt' through the terminal, which was only mildly irritating. I found all the programs I needed, one way or the other and I'm happy. It was my only hassle with Kubuntu.

It's nice to have an OS that doesn't need constant rebooting or anti-virus. I really don't have the time or the patience anymore to babysit a computer like Windows so Kubuntu is also a time saver and a half.

Anyways, I just thought I'd say thanks to all of you that helped create this wonderful OS and wish all of you the best.

Thanks again!

-Charles

Re: I love Kubuntu!

Originally posted by charles052
    My only mild complaint I had with Kubuntu was the software manager didn't list all available programs like Ubuntu's did. I had to type in a program to see if it was available or run 'get apt' through the terminal, which was only mildly irritating. I found all the programs I needed, one way or the other and I'm happy. It was my only hassle with Kubuntu.
    Welcome to KFN! Always nice to here another success story.

As to Kubuntus package manger - KPackageKit - it sucks. Really. Install Synaptic and you'll be a lot happier.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Charles,

You have made a smart decision. I love Kubuntu, too. I'm also new on this forum and used mostly Windows, but it is incomparable.
      I tried also Debian 5, but unfortunately the wireless connection didn't work on my laptop and I don't have time to investigate the problem. Kubuntu 10.4 works out of the box on my laptop and I'm 100% satisfied with it. I can use even Windows applications in wine and work very well.
      For package management you can try 'aptitude'. It works on every system of the Debian family.

Best regards

Comment

I understand how you feel completely. I just installed Kubuntu and have had small issues but not enough to make me talk about them. The positive outweighs the negative by far so I presume you will be a Kubuntu user for life just like me. I recently installed Kubuntu with the option to erase the entire hard disk (Which my W7 was on), and i thought the heck with it. I have no regrets, plus if i really 'need' windows its not that hard. KDE just rocks to put it simply. I hope you enjoy Kubuntu as much as we all do here

Comment

What I'm needing to know in the near future is how do I secure my Kubuntu installation. I know there are no serious viruses, if any, that are a threat to me, and no one has easy access to my computer or password. But what about firewalls and hackers? Is there anything I need to do to make sure my files are safe from unauthorized access other than to encrypt them with a password? A password that could possibly be cracked if someone should somehow download the file?

I've never understood the firewall in Linux. I've installed a firewall builder, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I haven't got time to really mess with it right now, anyways. Perhaps in a couple more weeks I can do the research and build a very nice firewall.

I don't really know.

Comment

I installed firestarter. I believe that's what I'm looking for.

Comment

Working...
            X