This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What plasmoids do you use and like?

I'd thought I have some more input on good(or bad?) plasmoids, so as topic say, what plasmoids do you use and which are your favourites/must-haves ? which one do you hope will improve and/or be implemented? Which don't you like and/or had trouble with?

Apart from the defaults (task manager, Icon tray, start menu)
    my plasmoids in use are...

• system monitor - for general overview
    • Now playing - stop n' skip songs
    • Dictionary - education and spelling
    • Additional digital clock
    • Extra panel - with commonly used apps, instead of Daisy/Fancy-tasks
    • Shut down - not sure why, hardly use that one
    • Lancelot - I usually have that instead of the default Kmenu,
    • Converter - hardly use it but it saves time when I don't have to access websites

Like to see ...
    • Daisy/Fancy tasks - I really wish one of these would work on my system, either I miss a feature, or it makes the desktop crash randomly, and/or graphical glitches - Gnomes Task menus seem to work better with nice features but I'd like to stay K - mmmkay
    • Dictionary - more languages (are there possibly out there?)
    • K-menu - to be more like Lancelot, mouse-over feature and generally more features
    • Folder View - I'd like to see expandable folders like the classical program menu

Maybe there are other with input and something they'd like to share (I know there's a feedback section on KDE forum, yet I'd like to hear what you use/recommend/like to see? maybe some will be implemented soon, or great and stable on KDE-looks?
    Maybe this is the wrong forum part? please move it then

[img width=400 height=225]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_lockaEOgKQo/TDcMWEQipLI/AAAAAAAAAM0/WwCFHzS5uhg/sk%C3%A4rmdump1.png[/img]
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: What plasmoids do you use and like?

I always install Luna and quick launch for no good reason!
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I use Lancelot (because I like it better than Kmenu), Xeyes (so I can find my cursor), Notes (so I can remember what I'm supposed to do), and Kweather (which is one of three or four alternative weather applets, because my office doesn't have a window) and Playwolf (for Amarok). I've never tried Daisy.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
        I use Lancelot (because I like it better than Kmenu)
        Could not agree more. Lancelot is a beautiful addition. I've been using it exclusively for quite some time. The only widget I have running (other than Folder View) on the desktop is Weather Forecast.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've used Lancelot quite a bit but lately had to remove it because of some weird graphical corruption. Never could figure it out and KMenu hasn't done this yet. I might try Lancelot again after a few updates I've seen go across my system that has greatly improved other areas. Luna, YAWP and Quick Launch are the other three I like and use.

Comment

Lancelot
            Smooth-tasks taskbar

thats about it most of the rest crash or aren't anything I need.
            Used the clock for a while on the desktop but it flaked out on reboot.
            Tried weather but it wasn't as reliable as poking my head outside.

Comment

I've just got the latest version of daisy from this ppa

https://launchpad.net/~neversfelde/+archive/ppa

It looks rather interesting . That is also the minitube ppa. Youtubers have got to try that one (although it's not a plasmoid!)

The plasmoids I use regularly are the 3 day weather applet and quick access launchers. They are real timesavers.

Comment

I just switched to KDE from GNOME and so far I'm liking it. I'm already running Simple Countdown (to take the place of the Countdown Screenlet), analog and digital clocks (I like an analog clock but there are times I want an easier to read time and date), Bubblemon, System Monitor (CPU) and Shutup. I definitely have to look into Daisy one of these days.

Minitube flat out rocks. Anytime I do a reinstall of my system Minitube is one of the first things to get reinstalled.

I have a question if anyone can answer it. Is there a way to put plasmoids on the Fancy Panel? As a former AWN user I really miss having a clock, system monitor and terminal right on my panel for easy access.
                My Blog: I&#39;m Just an Avatar<br />Follow me on Twitter @BostonPeng<br /><br />I wish I had been told moving from GNOME to KDE involved THIS much of a learning curve. I&#39;m not complaining, I just wish I knew beforehand.

Comment

I'm, at a win box right now so this might not be 100%. Right click on desktop and unlock widgets, then right click on panel and select panel options. Then IIRC select panel settings. You'll then see an add widgets option. Any that you add via this means should be added to the panel.

If where the system puts it is wrong for you select panel settings again and hover the cursor over the newly installed widget. You should see a cross-hair at which point drag the widget where you want it.

After you have done, in case you didn't know, right click on the desktops and lock widgets.

HTH

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that out. I haven't locked my widgets yet because I'm not completely satisfied with what I have on my desktop or where they are, plus I keep having to relocate some of my widgets each time I restart for some odd reason, but I'll give that a shot as well. Just as soon as I make a note of where the unlock option is. 8)
                    My Blog: I&#39;m Just an Avatar<br />Follow me on Twitter @BostonPeng<br /><br />I wish I had been told moving from GNOME to KDE involved THIS much of a learning curve. I&#39;m not complaining, I just wish I knew beforehand.

Comment

The option will be available when you simply right click on the panel.

The ability to lock the widgets is necessary IMHO because otherwise deletion of stuff like panels is only a click away

Comment

Working...
                      X