Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe there is hope for us geriatrics yet!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe there is hope for us geriatrics yet!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0708122609.htm
    ScienceDaily (July 8, 2010) — Scientists have discovered a compound that restores the capacity to form new memories in aging rats...
    "It takes a long time -- two to four weeks -- from the birth of a new neuron until it becomes functional," McKnight said. "Most of them die along the way." P7C3 essentially seems to give newborn neurons better odds.

Notably, they say that two other drugs (Dimebon and Serono compounds) -- both of which bear structural similarities to P7C3 -also encourage the growth of new neurons. It's tempting to think that all three compounds work in the same way.

The researchers pinpointed a derivative of P7C3, called A20, which is even more protective than the parent compound. They also produced evidence suggesting that two other neuroprotective compounds eyed as possible Alzheimer's cures may work through the same mechanism as P7C3. The A20 derivative proved 300 times more potent than one of these compounds currently in clinical trials for Alzheimer's disease. This suggested that even more potent neuroprotective agents could potentially be discovered using the same methods. Following up on these leads, the researchers are now searching for the molecular target of P7C3 -- key to discovering the underlying neuroprotective mechanism.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Maybe there is hope for us geriatrics yet!

As they say, there are two things you lose as you grow old. The first is your memory, and I can't remember what the second is.

Comment

Couldn't read it. For some strange reason text is getting smaller and smaller over the last years.

Comment

I heard a well know mathematician explain what he called the three stages of ageing:
        - first you forget your theorems.
        - second you forget to zip up.
        - third you forget to zip down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
          I heard a well know mathematician explain what he called the three stages of ageing:
          - first you forget your theorems.
          - second you forget to zip up.
          - third you forget to zip down.
          Uh oh ... I'm in the second stage!

So far my wife is preventing embarrassments when we go places, but I hope she is ready for stage three
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X