This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Democracy Money can Buy

It's always been a bit of a jibe that America is Republic and not a Democracy. Also one hears it said that "America has the best democracy money can buy."

Well, I suppose America will soon find out:-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_639202.html

Re: Best Democracy Money can Buy

Those Americans who managed to stay awake during their high school civics class will remember that our federal government is classified as a representative democracy. (Bearing in mind that one of the 3 branches is not elected at all, but is appointed by the Executive and approved by the Senate).

As for money -- well, maybe the Republicans are plotting a 2010 comeback after being outspent by the Democrats in 2008: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/06/...6041244502589/

But, sadly, no one has made an impressive offer for my vote.

So far ....

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

But, sadly, no one has made an impressive offer for my vote.

So far ....

What? It's not like your representatives aren't trying to buy your vote.

IF I recall correctly, you are in Iowa (?). If so, then your elected representatives love their jobs so much that they have sponsored 629 earmarks totaling $675,572,386 to bribe you to vote for them. With 3,007,856 people that figures out to $225 for each man, woman and child. What are you going to buy with your share? And, will you return that bunch to office
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm in Ohio. Our guy John Boehner doesn't believe in earmarks -- must be some congenital defect or something. I don't know how he got into politics in the first place.

Comment

I'm in Ohio. Our guy John Boehner doesn't believe in earmarks -- must be some congenital defect or something. I don't know how he got into politics in the first place.
          Ah, I can understand your disappointment!

Your politicians created only 1,051 earmarks that totaled only $1,098,851,542. Poor chap. Your share comes to only $88.

How can they expect anyone to vote for them if they are going to pay only $88 per vote?

Boenner must think there are a lot of honest voters in Ohio. Apparently he's right. Getting elected and re-elected without bribing voters is getting rare indeed.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I don't know how he got into politics in the first place.
            It has to be that all year tan.
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson

It has to be that all year tan.

Yeahhhhhhhhh -- but it's a CHEAP tan!

Comment

... classified as a representative democracy...
                That is pure class, a representative democracy!

Other heady word creations that come to mind: monetary money, feline cat, wheeled car, pizzzey pizza (okay, cancel the last one).
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                  ... classified as a representative democracy...
                  That is pure class, a representative democracy!

Other heady word creations that come to mind: monetary money, feline cat, wheeled car, pizzzey pizza (okay, cancel the last one).
                  Pure class? That's nothing. Canada is classified as a Constipational Mononarchy. Which means the don't give a s***

Comment

Ole Juul, steady on. It is a well known fact that Monarchs do not suffer from such debilitating things such as bowel movements. How then can they be constipated

Anyway, wikipedia has since told me that a democracy != democracy. From what I gather they come in two flavours - the representative and the direct. afaic they are still missing the "bought" version.
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Then start calling it the "plutodemocracy" hehehe.
                      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
                      X