X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is quite interesting

Originally posted by vinnywright
    @GreyGeek
    sence you oferd it up hears a Nmap of your IP ........

Device type: general purpose|switch|WAP|media device|firewall|broadband router
    Running: Cobalt Linux 2.0.X, HP embedded, Linksys embedded, Netgear embedded, Teltronics embedded, WatchGuard embedded, ZyXEL ZyNOS 3.X
    Exactly, thank you for the nmap. It adds evidence to GreyGeeks deception.
    Don't blame me for being smarter than you, that's your parent's fault.

Comment

and as for identety theft...............LOL......hear have mine.

Charles V Wright ......AKA vinnywright,VINNY
      1808 southview RD
      lexington NC 27292

336-596-8333
      charles.v.wright@gmail.com

keep in mind if your sucsesfull in pretending to be me you will shortley be swampt in BILLS at (my)new adress and will receve NO credit frome ENEYONE ......trust me on that.

thars no bank acct.'s no savings and no stature for ya.

that sead if eney of ya are in the naborhood come see us.

and have a glass of tee or a beer if your frendley ....or......a round with my pitbull and shotgun if you arnt

VINNY

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I had to get up off the floor and stop laughing long enough to say .....

THANKS VINNY!

If I'm ever down toward Lexington, we'll do the beer thing (and leave the pitbull in the dog house).

Comment

and as for identety theft...............LOL......hear have mine.
        I fear for you, my friend. This makes me cringe.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by zlow
          @GreyGeek

Running: Cobalt Linux 2.0.X, HP embedded, Linksys embedded, Netgear embedded, Teltronics embedded, WatchGuard embedded, ZyXEL ZyNOS 3.X
          I dont see how it proves eney diseption on the grey one's part .........it is as would be expected if you have a roughter?

I would get simaler resalts with your IP I would expecet.

eneyway lets lay off the GreyGeek he is a good guy or has ben to me.....and is intiteld to his opinuns and views just as the rest of us.................well I gess that includs you'r thinking he's trying to deseve some one

@Telengard ........I have no fear........like I sead thars nothing to get.......and with some efort it would be prity easey to prove the me in timbuckto wasent the me in lexington.

@dibl ........sertentley just use the phone# and give a call .........or not it will be fine
          wear prity frendley around hear.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@GreyGeek

I dont see how it proves eney diseption on the grey one's part .........it is as would be expected if you have a roughter?

I would get simaler resalts with your IP I would expecet.

eneyway lets lay off the GreyGeek he is a good guy or has ben to me.....and is intiteld to his opinuns and views just as the rest of us.................well I gess that includs you'r thinking he's trying to deseve some one

@Telengard ........I have no fear........like I sead thars nothing to get.......and with some efort it would be prity easey to prove the me in timbuckto wasent the me in lexington.

@dibl ........sertentley just use the phone# and give a call .........or not it will be fine
            wear prity frendley around hear.

VINNY

LOL! Have you been drinkin? GreyGeek said "here is my IP, hack my Linux computer" but the IP is a firewall located in a different city and is not his Linux computer as he implied. That is a classic case of deception. The IP was probably picked off of some other post here in the forum or he took his real IP and switched some of the numbers around. I'm a little surprised he didn't offer up "127.0.0.1".

Comment

@GreyGeek

My deception? I'm laughing so hard I can't catch my breath...

I checked my IP again in the Kubuntuforum logs and it is and has been 24.223.246.44 since January 14th, which any other moderator can verify. I checked just now to be sure it is still the same. It is. I did a trace of my own IP and here is its location:
              http://en.utrace.de/ip-address/24.223.246.44
              You do know where Lincoln, NE is, don't you, zlow?

vinny@desktop:~$ sudo nmap -A -P0 24.223.246.44
              [sudo] password for vinny:

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-07-13 12:03 EDT
              All 1000 scanned ports on user-0cdvthc.cable.mindspring.com (24.223.246.44) are closed
              Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details

TRACEROUTE (using port 3269/tcp)
              HOP RTT ADDRESS
              1 2.26 user-0cdvthc.cable.mindspring.com (24.223.246.44)

OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
              Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 100.20 seconds
              vinny@desktop:~$
              Good job, Vinny! I see you gave zlow a hint!

nmap hit the right wireless router. It took only 2 minutes to find out it couldn't find out anything important! As you know, and zlow will learn, reading the ISP side firmware chip isn't the same as breaking into the client side and accessing the attached computer.

Mindspring.com is part of my ISP's network (Earthlink.net). But, it got confused on the OS my wireless router is running. It's Linux, not Netgear's, not HP, not the others. It scanned only the first 2^10 ports out of 2^16 ports, because those are the only ones that can respond to incoming ACKs, but all were closed. IF I had not given you my IP, and you were just scanning random IP numbers my ports would have been "stealth" and you wouldn't even know my box was online because it does not respond to any probes and its presence would have to have been deduced from the analysis of packets received by servers up line. It is a rare hacker who can do that. Were you persistent you would have to breach two different kinds firewalls. It takes a rare hacker to do that, too, especially when every port probe returns ... nothing.

I agree with you, Vinny, and have never put financial data on my computers. I got that paranoia from running Windows, and it is a habit I have chosen not to break after I moved to Linux. That doesn't mean that I don't keep my check book and do online banking with my Linux box. I do. In fact, it is the ONLY OS that I feel safe in using to do such activities. (I recently switched a lady over to Linux AFTER her Windows XP was compromised with a Trojan keyboard logger and her account passwords were stolen. She had shrugged at switching to Linux even though her husband asked me to put Linux on his box several years ago. The keyboard logger convinced her, especially after two Windows MSCEs couldn't remove it. It was in the MBR.) But NO information on my computer, or my wife's computer, can be used by bad guys to steal our bank info or personal IDs. I only use a bank debit card and keep only a limited amount of money in that account to limit loss if some merchant has been hacked and my debit card info is stolen, like what happened with about 250,000 CJMax shoppers a couple years ago.

Well, it's been a fun discussion and exchange of ideas and beliefs. Nothing personal, zlow. I know I couldn't change your mind and you can't change mine. Wisdom knows her own children. Good luck. I'm signing off of this thread.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@Vinny: You're right, that stuff is just a matter of public record. Thanks for the invite! I like friendly people.

@ Telengard: Fear is not good for me so I try to avoid it. I've know people who spend their life hiding and they suffer much from it.

Regarding IPs. There are routers all over the place nowadays. I'm not completely sure, but I think there are at least 3 between my advertised IP and my computer. If you look up my IP it sometimes says Hope (100 miles to the west) and sometimes it says some other town 200 miles to the east. I find it a bit insulting, but I guess it's actually a good thing. IP is just not useful for physical location any more but I guess it works in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                  @Vinny: You're right, that stuff is just a matter of public record. Thanks for the invite! I like friendly people.

Originally posted by Ole Juul

Regarding IPs. There are routers all over the place nowadays. I'm not completely sure, but I think there are at least 3 between my advertised IP and my computer. If you look up my IP it sometimes says Hope (100 miles to the west) and sometimes it says some other town 200 miles to the east. I find it a bit insulting, but I guess it's actually a good thing. IP is just not useful for physical location any more but I guess it works in some cases.
                  ya mine/nabors reports right but one of my frends reports some wayse away as well.....go figure.

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    My deception? I'm laughing so hard I can't catch my breath...

I checked my IP again in the Kubuntuforum logs and it is and has been 24.223.246.44 since January 14th, which any other moderator can verify. I checked just now to be sure it is still the same. It is. I did a trace of my own IP and here is its location:
                    http://en.utrace.de/ip-address/24.223.246.44
                    You do know where Lincoln, NE is, don't you, zlow?
                    I'll admit that my source did not accurately determine the location of your IP. If you go back and click the link you will see it shows you in the wrong state.
                    Good job, Vinny! I see you gave zlow a hint!
                    Like I don't know how to use nmap. Vinny doesn't, he only scanned the first 1000 ports and not all 65535 of them.

nmap hit the right wireless router. It took only 2 minutes to find out it couldn't find out anything important! As you know, and zlow will learn, reading the ISP side firmware chip isn't the same as breaking into the client side and accessing the attached computer.

Mindspring.com is part of my ISP's network (Earthlink.net). But, it got confused on the OS my wireless router is running. It's Linux, not Netgear's, not HP, not the others. It scanned only the first 2^10 ports out of 2^16 ports, because those are the only ones that can respond to incoming ACKs, but all were closed. IF I had not given you my IP, and you were just scanning random IP numbers my ports would have been "stealth" and you wouldn't even know my box was online because it does not respond to any probes and its presence would have to have been deduced from the analysis of packets received by servers up line. It is a rare hacker who can do that. Were you persistent you would have to breach two different kinds firewalls. It takes a rare hacker to do that, too, especially when every port probe returns ... nothing.
                    This isn't what you said, you deceived me by leading me to believe that your KDE desktop was connected directly to the internet. You even implied there was no added security protection. This was a lie.

I am running a standard Kubuntu 10.4 installation with no special security enhancements. Here is my IP address: 24.223.246.44. You have my permission to have a go at it. If, as you claim, a Linux desktop is as weak and easy as Windows is, it should be easy for you.
                    Of course you are signing off of the thread, you know your argument is wrong.

Thank you though for the laughs.

Comment

This isn't what you said, you deceived me by leading me to believe that your KDE desktop was connected directly to the internet. You even implied there was no added security protection. This was a lie.
                      I tried to close this discussion gracefully but you keep resorting to name calling to bolster your argument.

You ASSUME too much and put words into peoples mouths to make your case. I never said or implied I was connected "directly" to the Internet and I never deceived you, or even tried to. You do that yourself with no help required. I simply gave you my IP address and told you to have a go at it and prove that Linux is as insecure as you claim it is. You simple failed to even locate my router and would have had nothing were it not for Vinney, then you claim he doesn't know how to use nmap.

There is NO ADDED security to my Linux setup. I am on a Sony VAIO VGN-FW140/E notebook laptop running a stock Kubuntu 10.4 with no changes in its default, installed, security setup and I am connected to a STOCK wireless router with WEP encryption. THAT, zlow, should show you how secure a stock Kubuntu install is. But, somehow, I doubt it will.

Son, I retired two years ago after 40 years of programming in a wide variety of environments and machines and I was doing BBS, Compuserve and Internet searches while you were in diapers. Go vent your Linux FUD on someone else.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sorry, the fun is over. Locking this one. The discussion is no longer casual.

Comment

Working...
                        X