Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing around with linux just got me a job!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing around with linux just got me a job!

I'm not sure if my linux experience was the key or if they were thinking that if I could handle a linux desktop I could handle anything: a couple weeks ago interviewed for an IT job, as soon as I mentioned my linux experience, the interviewer said "OK, let me send a recommendation to hire you to the boss."

A week later I was in Orlando training on the system I'm responsible for!

I told my wife being a geek did turn out to be worth something

Please Read Me

Re: Playing around with linux just got me a job!

That's good news indeed. Good luck on your new job.

Comment

That's really nice, good luck friend

Comment

Excellent -- congratulations and good luck with the new job!

Comment

Thanks guys - I just was excited and wanted to share the good news!

Interestingly - it involves operating and maintaining 23 computers on a mixed OS system. The main processing and server units are linux and the display and control units are XP.

One of my functions involves transferring files to and from the company server via a thumb drive. The first rule was to only connect the thumb drive to the linux server to prevent virus's getting to the windows machines!

Too bad they can't see their way to moving away from windows all-together...

Please Read Me

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome news oshunluvr!
              Gotta beat my graveyard "skilled laborer--slaves got treated better--but I can't afford to go without one" job!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                One of my functions involves transferring files to and from the company server via a thumb drive. The first rule was to only connect the thumb drive to the linux server to prevent virus's getting to the windows machines!
                Congratulations! So, what is your title?
                Don't blame me for being smarter than you, that's your parent's fault.

Comment

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The actual title is "Field Service Representative". The company is called Adacel - we make, install and service aviation simulators. I work at the Los Angeles installation - used to train Air Traffic Controllers from LAX, Burbank, Long Beach, and Orange County airport towers.

I am a retired Air Traffic Controller, but my job is maintaining the equipment and keeping the complicated software running properly.

I even have an office and company laptop! It's a Dell D830 w/ 4gb ram and supports dual displays at 1920x1200 resolution. The only thing it needs to upgrade is a nice fast, fat SSD

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X