X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knew Dell would do this (or forced?)...

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/06/17/...nux-statement/

Re: Knew Dell would do this (or forced?)...

Hehe.

“6) Ubuntu is safer than Microsoft® Windows® The vast majority of viruses and spyware written by hackers are not designed to target and attack Linux.”
    I can see how M$ likely construed, and in no uncertain terms informed Dell that, such a statement was tantamount to saying "Windows isn't safe" and that keeping that statement 'as is' would result in Dell being sued by M$, or some thing to that effect. :P And as M$ does have more money than God (), Dell felt that was a battle they didn't want to engage in.

The 'reworded' statement:
    “6) Ubuntu is secure According to industry reports, Ubuntu is unaffected by the vast majority of viruses and spyware.”
    I'm sure that even this modified statement caused some consternation with M$, and it is yet to be seen if even this one will be modified again.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

“6) Ubuntu is secure According to industry reports, Ubuntu is unaffected by the vast majority of viruses and spyware.”
      But it is a true statement regardless, but yes I'm sure M$ would have something to say about that as well.

Comment

The only surprise to me was that it wasn't taken down sooner.

the 2 most likely scenarios:

1. One or more of Dells marketing people overstepped the mark and are now out of work or

2. Dell has achieved a reduction in Windows 7 Licensing fees.

Given that everything surrounding MS has to be shrouded in secrecy, we will never know. However, despite what I read on the website, I think I will see pigs fly before I see Dell Machine with decent spec with ubuntu pre-installed, in Europe anyway.

Comment

Whilst on the subject of Dell here is what we get in the UK.

Just for fun, click on the "shop for ubuntu laptops" link.

http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator

Huh! Yeah, funny -- looks like MS has fixed the problem there.

Comment

2. Dell has achieved a reduction in Windows 7 Licensing fees.
              Either MS folded and gave them the reduced fees OR MS called their bluff and told them to change the statement or try to sell their hardware without Win7. Considering that DELL's Linux offerings have only been a token selection (3 or 4 machines with limited selections of peripherals) it appears to me MS threatened the nuclear option and DELL blinked.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Advantages of UBUNTU
                • They can be more reliable and more flexible than Microsoft programs
                • Updates and fixes can be developed quicker and cost less
                • Experts can customise the program – so it does exactly what you want
                The EU has a lot more clout, given that the courts there have more moxy and aren't afraid to take on M$. In the EU, M$ has to play by their rules, where here in the US, unfortunately, the courts (tend to) side with M$. :P

Comment

Whilst on the subject of Dell here is what we get in the UK.

From that page clicking on the green "Shop for Ubuntu Laptops" gives a list of thirty seven boxes with Windows installed. Examining the first one I find no option or way to change the OS to Ubuntu. Is THAT "shopping for Ubuntu"? >
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

And scrolling down to Operating Systems (on the left), Linux isn't identified. :P

Comment

I flipped through several others, including the "Studio 17", and NONE of them had Ubuntu pre-installed or even an option to select it.

It is obvious to me that the EU Dell site is just another con, like the USA site. Part of Dell's tactic to negotiate fees with Microsoft.

News is coming out that Dell has been knowingly shipping defective computers to customers. I was aware of problems with Dell at work so I contacted the IT boss. He said that between 2002 and a couple years ago fully 1 out of 3 Dell boxes (we were an exclusive Dell shop then) arrived with defective parts. Mainly defective video displays or LCDs, or leaking capacitors. They have now switched to other vendors.

I'm a little smarter than your average dummy and if I couldn't find a way to buy a computer with ubuntu preinstalled I doubt that very many Joe or Sally Sixpacks would be successful either. They'd give up and default back to Windows.

By being so tricky Dell is killing his reputation and his business. Lying about why his machines were failing, phony Ubuntu offerings, etc..., seems right in line with his other practices.

Comment

I have a 4 year old Dell inspiron 630m laptop. The battery is knackered but otherwise with 10.04 it runs better than the day I bought it (there's an incentive for vendors not to ship with Linux if ever there was one - no planned obsolescence). There, i've probably jinxed it now

When I get a replacement this will be determined by this machine giving up the ghost. On the basis that PC World wont take kindly to me trying a USB drive to see if everything works, my local computer shop (who probably will let me) will probably get my patronage as I will have seen that everything works before I buy. If it's a few quid more so what - if I have a problem I know where to take it back to.

So far as Dell is concerned, the hot air they vent about supporting Linux seems to be precisely (and limited to) that. Whilst I've had no real issues with this machine, unless they are prepared to support me I don't see why I should go out of my way to support them.

Comment

Working...
                        X