Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving Kubuntu after 4 years using it and the reason why I came running back

Edit: I changed the title, because in the end I came back to Kubuntu 8.04

I didn't know where to put this, and it has to do with an operating system so...
    I really really really hate it to go back to Windows. I've used Kubuntu for four years now. 6.10 and 8.04 worked great. But 10.04 is completely unworkable for me.
    The reason I take the time to write this is I hope some developers or whoever read it and maybe it helps a bit to make Linux better in future. So I can come back.
    I really liked this board and the way people help each other here, before I forget to mention that.

8.04 worked great. But I build sites and Firefox was getting too old. (Just after upgrading to 10.04 canonical asked for people to test Firefox 3.5 on 8.04, grrrr. Firefox was the only reason I upgraded).
    Okay, I installed 10.04 completely clean. Checksum etc. were okay. First installation went completely wrong, don't know why. Well, that can happen. Maybe I jumped on the floor the moment something was read from the cd, whatever.
    Second installation worked okay. Only the nvdia-driver recommended by canonical didn't work. I didn't know it was the driver and things were so weird I couldn't even ask for help. Because I couldn't describe the problem in an understandable way. Fonts were randomly changing in size. Not all programs and not all of the time. Sometimes even the desktopfonts changed. Sometimes fonts were suddenly so small I couldn't read them. Toolbars were sometimes normal, sometimes suddenly small. OpenOffice had grey lines on the toolbars, making them hardly readable. Sizes of folders changed just like that. Etc., etc.
    After getting 'out of range' errors it was pretty soon clear it was the recommended driver that caused everything. I installed the other (not recommended) driver and this problem was solved. Took me only about two weeks and three times installing again, because I changed so much settings I was not sure anymore I hadn't caused it myself.

I am supposed to write tutorials how to build sites. (By the way: I didn't contribute much to the Linux community, but my tutorials are also free in both ways and promote open standards. So it's another community, but I'm not only 'using'. And really open standards on Internet are very important for Linux too.)

I'm pretty sure if I take another two weeks or two months everything is working, but that's too much time. A small part of the problems that still exist (and didn't exist in 8.04) is following.

(For most of this things I've been searching on Internet. I had much more problems and I could solve a lot of them. Still existing problems I was going to ask here, but it's really taking too much time. And I'm pretty sure some things are just not solvable.)
    * RSIBreak doesn't work. When the screen blanks out after 10 minutes, RSIBreak stops counting.
    * No sound in RSIBreak.
    * After rebooting I have to manually connect to Internet.
    * Scrollbars are hardly visible, because they are all grey. I didn't find a way to change color. Maybe installing a completely other theme or something like that could work, but I'm afraid the other problems are starting again.
    * I've a map on the desktop. To select something I have to click on it. Typing the first letter doesn't work.
    * Drag and drop with Shift, Control or Control+Shift most of the time doesn't work. No big problem if it never works, but on the wildest moments it suddenly does work, even if I didn't use Shift or Control. I just drag something somewhere and there's suddenly a link or a copy. I've really taken a very long time to try this out, but it just doesn't work well on my computer. Not being able to reliable copy or move is not a small thing.
    * The helpcenter doesn't work. The helpcenter itself is working, but in applications I get all of the time 'no index exists' (or something like that). Only in KDE-apps. I can't make an index, because if I choose in the helpcenter for making an index I only get a pop-up where there's nothing to choose or type.
    * Shortkeys for widgets aren't working. So I have to use the mouse a lot. A whole lot.
    * I get no notifications for updates.
    * KAlarm has as a general setting for sound. But there was no sound. After searching for a very long time it turns out there's a setting about four levels deep in the individual warnings. Soundlevel in every new warning is zero. You have to adjust it in every warning. What's the use of a general setting if it's overruled by every warning? All this things also take a lot of time, because for example this setting was really good hidden. Couldn't find another usable alarm-program.
    * There's a strange dotted square on the taskbar, making the widget on the left almost unusable. Removed the whole taskbar and every widget, but after putting everything back it's there again. Switching widgets etc. doesn't make any difference.
    * Systemmonitor (a widget with three bars) gives half of the time no left bar (cpu usage) and says half of the time cpu usage is 100%. Completely unusable. (100% isn't correct, because top etc. give a different usage.)
    * No sound in OpenOffice. There's a red cross in the mediaplayer and I can't change that.
    * Klipper doesn't work wel. Because of the tutorials I write I sometimes have to copy 30 or something different sentences, and have to keep them a little while. Klipper was perfect. The first entrance (the one used the most) could be copied with Ctrl+ V. Now I have to open Klipper, select the first entrance, close Klipper and then finally I can use Ctrl-V. Every time again: the selection I make doesn't persist.
    * Sound in Firefox is good. But not in add-ons. NoScript and Download Statusbar have no sound.
    * Sounds in k3b are truncated. After about half a second they stop.
    * To get shortkeys for applications working I had to change two settings in a config file. No big deal, but of course it took again some time before I found that out. Why does KDE make a very handy shortcut-system in the menu, when you have to change two settings with an editor before it works?
    * Korn was a terrific mail notifier for KDE 3. There simply doesn't exist a good mail notifier for KDE 4. I use a widget, but that only gives the number of mails. Sometimes it gives a warning with a sound, sometimes not. It should give the header of the mail. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. It should give the sender. Sometimes it does, sometimes it gives completely rubbish. (Thunderbird gives the correct sender, so it's not something wrong in the mail). It was the best I could find for pop.
    * After installing the not-recommend driver the fonts are better. But in Kubuntu 8.04 (and Windows) the are still far better.
    * Workrave has no sound.
    * I use Knotes to put to do lists on a desktop. Very handy if you work on more projects at the same time. After rebooting the font size is changed to an unreadable small size and all positions and formats are lost. I've reinstalled KNotes a few times, typed everything in completely new, no difference. It's hardly usable this way.
    I could install Tomboy and mono, but I might as well go directly back to Windows if I install mono.
    (If I say reinstall here of course I removed everything, also all settings etc.)
    * If I connect an external harddisk or usb-stick, I get notified. After that there's not any sign there's an external thing connected, making it very easy to forget to safely remove it. Dataloss can happen. In 8.04 there was an icon on the deskop: a clear indication there was some external device connected.
    Probably I can get something like that in 10.04 too, after another two days of searching and asking.
    For the moment I've put a very big widget (you can't make the bloody thing smaller) on the desktop that says in text if something's connected.
    * The window of OpenOffice is not completely visible. About half a centimeter at the bottom is missing. Reinstalling didn't repair that. So I can't see page numbers etc. Wait, sometimes the window is visible and I can enjoy for a few minutes page numbers.
    * VMWare didn't work. I'm used to getting errors installing it, so nothing strange. Found a fix on Internet, just like in 8.04. Fix didn't work. Found a fix for the fix. That worked: I could install Windows. Just one small problem: no internet. I use it to test sites on Internet Explorer 7 (and 6, but I probably quit 6 completely for testing).
    * VirtualBox worked great. Far easier than VMWare. I used VirtualBox out of the repo. Just one small problem: no internet.

I used two weeks trying to get Kubuntu to work. Of course it took also some time to learn new things. But I didn't really even started using it and I found already so many problems. I'm pretty sure if I start using it I'll find lots of other problems.

Well, that's it. Thanks for the help I got here. I really don't like to go back to Microsoft. And in some time I'm definitely going to try Kubuntu again. I even installed Ubuntu in despair, but I really don't like gnome.

Bottom line is: there are fabulous desktop effects. But KNotes doesn't keep it's settings. There are beautiful windows for notifications. But there's no usable mail notifier. That's nice if you like all that glamour, but I have to work.

For me the most important thing is not it's free (without money), but Linux frees you from one of the most horrible companies ever existed. If I had to pay for Linux that would be no problem. But I must be able to use it. I think that's not an unreasonable expectation...

Re: Going back to Windows after 4 years of Kubuntu and the reason why

Well I certainly wouldn't go running to Microsoft.

There are hundreds of Linux distributions out there.

I recently spent a couple weeks with Kubuntu, and experienced far too many problems, and spent too much time dealing with them to trust it with my data. So I just installed a different distribution of Linux.

Running rock solid with a different distribution, no problems at all.

Try another if you must.

Using Linux since 1999<br />Current system openSUSE 11.3 <br />Toshiba A505-S6035<br />Intel core i7, Nvidia 300m GT<br />4 gigs of DDR3, SATA 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Comment

Ditto to what Bruce said. I also stopped using Kubuntu and haven't used it for a good two years now.

But do go back to M$ if you must... I think that after four years of Linux you will find it very difficult to get used to wasting system resources on such stupid things as a virus checker, having to reboot all the time when installing something new and having to go through ALL that on a regular basis. I know it would drive me nuts and stop me from doing any actual work on the computer.

So my guess is: you'll try it, you'll get fed up sooner or later and you will do what Bruce suggested, i.e. try a different distro
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

That's a possibility. I was so fed up with Kubuntu I even didn't think of that. I know all problems with Windows, I still have a computer with XP for testing sites. But at least it works.
        My biggest problem with Microsoft/Windows are not even viruses etc. It's the fact that one company almost rules the world by buying governments and people, destroying ISO, locking you in, etc., etc. Of course you can use OpenOffice etc. also on Windows. But still I don't trust the operating system it runs on.
        I can live without a mail notifier etc. But some of the problems I described (and I could make the list easily much longer) make the system unusable for me.
        I don't mind editing a config, if I know which one. I also don't mind spending another few days trying to get a distro to work. If I have the idea there's a chance it's going to work out in the end.
        The most important thing for me is that I can run Internet Explorer 7 on it. If I can't I have to buy a third computer. I couldn't get that to work with VMWare or VirtualBox on Kubuntu. (Running IE 8 in compatibility mode as IE 7 is not good enough for testing sites, because there are differences with the 'real' IE 7. Especially in tutorials you can't have that of course.)
        (Running IE 7 with PlayOnLinux or via tatanka (IEs4Linux) didn't work too. I think I can safely say I really tried Kubuntu.)

Do you have any suggestions for a distro I could try? I know 'everything' (well, nobody really can...) from building sites, but only a little about Linux. I can't judge myself for some of the problems which have to do with KDE and which have to do with Kubuntu. (And of course closed source drivers etc.)
        I looked at LinuxMint but the Dutch site says:
        "Because of a dispute between the members of the team this website is closed until further notice.
        I will take my time to decide what to do...
        Thanks for a great run"
        This is, well, eh, not very encouraging.
        The reason I'm on the international site of Kubuntu and not on the Dutch site with Ubuntu has also to do with problems there were over there. Maybe it's better there now, I don't know.
        Not only politics here are running crazy, the whole country seems to start fighting one eachother.

Comment

Hm, Mint would have been my first suggestion. My second: sidux

Mepis is good and I used it for a year or so. But it depends on a single developer and that is a bit shaky afaic. However, it is still going strong.

Otherwise have a look here http://www.kde.org/download/distributions.php

There is of course always distrowatch to search for kde based distros.

Best thing is to stick to debian based distros seeing your already somewhat familiar with kubuntu. Having said that, if OpenSuse or some such works on your computer then use it! Learning a different package management system is no rocket science these days. Download, run the live CD and try them until you find something that works and which feels comfortable. Oh, and let us know of your experiences

OT - yep, Dutch politics are not looking as rosy as they used to. Shame, but don't despair, you'll come good again
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Just my 2 cents. I have IE 7 / 8 running nicely in my xp vmware guest.

As for other distros:
            I would go with mepis. It isn't as bleeding edge as Kubuntu and very stable.
            http://www.mepis.org/
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'm sure if I had enough time I could get IE also running. That's the problem: I don't have enough knowledge of Linux and I also don't have enough time to solve every problem. I'm supposed to write tutorials
              I'm going to try Mepis. I saw they have a KDE3 distribution. Maybe that's working better for me. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
              And for me it doesn't have to be bleedy. If I can write on it, mail etc, and test sites it's enough.

Comment

....and test sites it's enough.
                Well, to be honest, the best way to get IE 7 / 8 running in a linux environement is to do it in a vm guest with a minimum of 256 MB RAM.

If you have a windows dvd or a HD install it is pretty simple to set up.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've IE 8 running on a XP machine, because I also have to test Firefox, Opera etc. on Windows.
                  I had IE 6 running on Wine. But not everything is working, for example opacity doesn't work on Wine.
                  So I had IE 6 also running on VMWare and 7 also on VMWare. Worked great.
                  But I couldn't get VMWare to connect to Internet after installing Lucid Lynx. Since I don't need usb anymore I tried VirtualBox open source version. Also no Internet.
                  If that was the only problem I would have taken the time to solve it. But if you've seen my list of problems (and at this time it's already much longer again), pfffff...
                  But I'm going to try Mepis with KDE 3. At least then I know the problems are not from KDE 4.
                  If it works I'll let it know.
                  If you hear nothing anymore my machine got on fire after trying Mepis.
                  Anyway thanks for the tip.
                  I changed the subject from 'Going back to Windows...' etc. to 'Leaving Kubuntu...' etc. for the moment. Don't want to make Bill Gates too happy.

Comment

Re: Leaving Kubuntu after 4 years using it and the reason why

8.04 was my last Kubuntu distro also. I just did not like KDE4. I have been running Ubuntu ever since. 10.04 is running perfectly on my system. I still hang out in this forum because I like it, the Ubuntu forum, which I visit and post in occasionally, is just too big. Too many silly postings that just annoy me. But you might try a straight Ubuntu install and see how that works for you. It works for me.

Comment

I did one desperate try installing a fresh Ubuntu 10.04. But there were two things: I saw right away why I don like Gnome (of course this is a personal thing). External devices were not mounted and none of the solutions I found (it seems to be a quite common problem) worked. If I should like Gnome of course I might have searched better and might have found a solution.
                      By the way: I did test harddisk and memory exhaustive, both are okay.

Comment

I've only just installed Kubuntu, never liked Ubuntu, the colour scheme induced a queezy feeling. Nice to read how many problems I have to look forward to Will probably go back to opensuse if Kubuntu is as rubbish as implied. Of course I also use Windows XP Vista and 7 as I haven't found alternatives for some windows software. Problems Irritations so far dual screen does not keep settings and there was no Games Folder by default but on the plus side Qt installed without problems and also Apache PHP and Mysql and phpMyAdmin installed without having to fart about changing permissions and altering config.inc.php so like all OS's there are pluses and minuses. I'm lucky that I only use computers as a hobbist so can change distros as often as I like also someone mentioned free and beer

Regards

Comment

I don't know if there are that many problems with 10.04. The fact that I had a lot of problems has maybe to do with my special machine, or with my (lack of ) brains. Forums never give a good picture, because most of the people come only when there are problems.
                          I did upgrade to 10.04 because I was reading almost only good things about it. So I guess there are a lot of people happy with it.
                          I wrote my first post with steam still coming out of my ears. The problems are real, but I don't think everybody has them.

Comment

One last joke Kubuntu pulled on me. If I'm able to finish writing this.
                            Preparing to try out Mepis I made a backup of home and etc to an external disk. When backing up etc it didn't make a back-up, but MOVED everything. Without asking. I swear I even didn't look at the Shift or Control-key, just dragged and dropped.
                            I'm even not completely sure if things really moved. Notification panel says it's moved, not copied. etc on the harddisk is about 15 MB, on my internal disk about 7 MB. But there are at least still a lot of things on my harddisk.
                            One thing for sure: not everybody is having this kind of problems, ohtherwise Canonical should probably not exist anymore. Must be something weird with my installation. I doubt if I can restart, so time to try out Mepis.

Comment

Truly good luck to what ever path you choose. I for one don't really tie my self to one or the other though I do make sure I have the latest Kubuntu on my machines below. I run XP in VirtualBox. I try for a linux system mostly because of my grown dislike of M$ but I don't close my mind off to them or other areas, otherwise I would not be a very effective IT Manager. So please try Sidux or Mepis first. That is the greatest thing about Open Source and the like. Choice and something you will not get with M$. Trust me. I have Sooooo many users that have Win Vista and 7 and they still have issues which goes to show you that M$ isn't always the best choice either. Go with what works I guess is what I'm rambling to and still frequent here.

Comment

Working...
                              X