This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kanotix & Kubuntu

I've used both Kanotix 2005-03 & kubuntu hoary and would like to give my feedback

What I like abt kubuntu:
    1. Regular release cycle,
    2. Latest stuff

What I dont like abt kubuntu:
    1. The stupid sudo system....u may like it but sorry not me
    2. Has forked too far from debian....many debs just won't work! (MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT! Theres so much cool stuff out there! I can't install the bioinformatics packages from the bio-linux repos....I'm a student of bioinformatics)

What I like abt Kanotix:
    1. No sudo stuff..standard root & user
    2. Lots of packages on single CD! LiveCD + install CD
    3. Based on debian Sid.....almost 99% pure debian. (BEST FEATURE!)

What I dont like abt kanotix:
    1. Not too many ppl involved in development
    2. Hence no fixed release cycle...depends on how quickly they code etc.

Hmm..so the one big thing that bugs me abt Kubuntu is that it ain't fully debian compatible....so I'm seemingly not able to install lots of stuff I need.

If I ignore those stuff which I need (bioinformatics packages), I guess Kubuntu is on its way to becoming the best distro on earth!!

On the other hand, Kanotix's future is uncertain......something I can't rely upon.....and I want peace & security

But previously it really bugged me that kubuntu did not have gaim, gimp & firefox......but with the kubuntu dvd, these problems ain't there anymore 8)

Kanotix & Kubuntu

You can enable root.
    Sudo is just the default setup.
    Kubuntu/Ubuntu is also based on Debian sid.
    I generally stick with the official Ubuntu repositories, but I've had no problems installing .debs from other sources. Of course, I haven't tried bioformatics yet.

I don't think Kubuntu/Ubuntu has the latest packages, though. Even the backports are a little behind the most "bleeding edge."
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Originally posted by aysiu
      You can enable root.
      I generally stick with the official Ubuntu repositories, but I've had no problems installing .debs from other sources. Of course, I haven't tried bioformatics yet.

I don't think Kubuntu/Ubuntu has the latest packages, though. Even the backports are a little behind the most "bleeding edge."
      It has the lastest GNOME and KDE and that's what I care about.

Comment

Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Originally posted by aysiu
        You can enable root.

Can you tell me please,How can I enable root user in Kubuntu/Ubuntu?
        Thank you.

Comment

Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Originally posted by Shellz0r
          Can you tell me please,How can I enable root user in Kubuntu/Ubuntu?
          The instructions are at the bottom of this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

There's really no reason you should need to enable root, though. Tell me what you're trying to do, and I'll show you the best way to do it with sudo.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Re: Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Originally posted by elijah
            But previously it really bugged me that kubuntu did not have gaim, gimp & firefox
            Code:
            apt-get install gimp gaim mozilla-firefox
            cheers!
            -=|From the desk of|=-
            «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
            «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
            «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
            Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Ya u can enable root password sure but it wont work the way u want it. GUI apps wont accept ur root password....they'll only accept ur sudo password.
              Thats what bugs me a little.

Comment

Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Ya u can enable root password sure but it wont work the way u want it. GUI apps wont accept ur root password....they'll only accept ur sudo password.
                Thats what bugs me a little.
                So change your user sudo password to something else and change your root password to what used to be your user sudo password.

Comment

Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Hah what logic! Things won't work out that way....they'll remain the same...GUI apps will accept the changed sudo password and not the root password. Plz talk sense. Theres no solution i guess to this sudo system.

No offence intended. I love kubuntu just as much as u do... 8)

Comment

Kanotix &amp; Kubuntu

Hah what logic! Things won't work out that way....they'll remain the same...GUI apps will accept the changed sudo password and not the root password. Plz talk sense.
                    then change both your sudo and root password and make them same, (at least you don't have to worry which password you have to enter).
                    cheers!
                    -=|From the desk of|=-
                    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
                    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
                    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
                    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Yeah that may work but anyone knowing my user password can damage my system!!

Comment

That's why it's your password--don't tell anyone it!
                        By the same logic, anyone who knows the root password would be able to damage the system.

Comment

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

Just do this so that you can log in as root!

Comment

Originally posted by whoiam55
                            But previously it really bugged me that kubuntu did not have gaim, gimp & firefox
                            Code:
                            apt-get install gimp gaim mozilla-firefox
                            Um. That's because this is KDE and not Gnome. There are KDE replacements for them. Why should a KDE install be riddled and plagued by gnome garbage?

Try Kopete, Krita and Konqueor.
                            I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

[quote=elijah ]
                              I've used both Kanotix 2005-03 & kubuntu hoary and would like to give my feedbackupon.....and I want peace & security

Why are you using obsolete versions of Kanotix and Kubuntu?

Comment

Working...
                              X