This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucid Puppy? Interesting

I use Puppy quite a bit as a "rescue" system for many of my M$ systems @ work. Has been invaluable. This news is rather interesting especially since I use Kubuntu as my main OS @ home.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...80%9D-released

Re: Lucid Puppy? Interesting

That reminds me of testing another distro "dedicated" to not so modern desktops, the lxde version of sidux. It really impressed me when I noticed it only used an amount between 100 & 150 MB of RAM to launch the desktop. There are some uncomfortable things like not being able to easily change the keyboard layout through a system settings window or an applet (like a plasma widget but w/o the plasma env). I had to enter a cli command dpkg reconfigure-keyboard, I think, but it was so static that I hate it. It didn't let me choose among several possible keyboard configs as I am used to use in Kubuntu or sidux with KDE... but it's been more stable than the KDE version of sidux for some weird reason...
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I've tried Lucid Puppy all week. Very nice! I might switch my Xubuntu machine over.

Comment

I was impressed with Puppy 4.3.1 and am even more impressed with 5.0.

Looks like it will be a goto distro for older or underpowered machines.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Installed in on my old Celeron 600MHz, 300 some odd MB RAM and 800x600 MAX resol. laptop from Dell. Had Xubuntu on it. Puppy actually flies on that machine. Looks good too for 800x600.

Comment

Working...
          X