This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove MONO from Ubuntu

It seems that "mononono" no longer works to remove MONO from Ubuntu 10.4. Not to worry! Here is how to use the CLI to remove MONO from your *buntu installation: http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2010...04-lucid-lynx/

I checked my Kubuntu 10.4 and noted not a single MONO related file was present.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: How to remove MONO from Ubuntu

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    I checked my Kubuntu 10.4 and noted not a single MONO related file was present.
    Before or after?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just a few minutes ago, using the CLI command given in the article. It is similar to the one I've used in the past, but a little more extensive, and is only one step, not like the one I used which required and autoremove to remove orphans.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

So you are saying then, that a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 does not contain any MONO packages?

Comment

I've only upgraded, but my assumption, which I suspect is wrong because of my oem-config experience, is that doing a fresh install of Alpha1 and continually updating it through the Gold release will result in an installation that is identical to the fresh install of the Gold release. Since my upgraded 64b LL does not contain any MONO files of any kind I suspect that the Gold iso does NOT either.

I think I will test this hypothesis this weekend by backing up my data and then doing a fresh install of the Gold release, then check for MONO files.

Comment

I also checked now and everything is clean. I did a fresh install with kubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386 and the first thing I did after installing was following the advised in here. When installing packages I always look at what dependencies are going to be installed to make sure MONO is not one of them. I believe a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 does not contain any MONO packages.

Comment

checked my Kubuntu install (clean, 3 days old) - no mono. Not a surprise though, mono stuff like f-spot is included only in Ubuntu, not in Kubuntu
              "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

Yep. No mono here.

paul@mybrainonlinux:~$ sudo apt-get purge --simulate libmono* libgdiplus cli-common libsqlite0 libglitz-glx1 libglitz1
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                Package libgdiplus is not installed, so not removed
                Package cli-common is not installed, so not removed
                Package libsqlite0 is not installed, so not removed
                Package libglitz-glx1 is not installed, so not removed
                Package libglitz1 is not installed, so not removed
                E: Couldn't find package libmono*
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Comment

Same here!

Comment

There is no mono software installed by default on kubuntu, so they are not going to include the mono libraries just for the heck of it. CD space is at a premium as it is.

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    paul@mybrainonlinux:~$ sudo apt-get purge --simulate libmono* libgdiplus cli-common libsqlite0 libglitz-glx1 libglitz1
                    I'm confused, what are libsqlite0 and libglitz* packages doing on that list? :P

Comment

I installed Kubuntu LL from the alt-CD and there was no monogenean found on my system.

(I almost tried to ask you about mono till I saw this in my search for mono parasites: "Note, selecting libmono-microsoft-visualbasic8.0-cil". Fortunately there was no such thing here.)

BTW, who is promoting development & installation of these mono libraries? I mean, Linux is supposed to be Linux not a Windows clone...
                      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Yesterday I installed the 64b version of LL and can report that NO mono files exist on it.

Who is pushing MONO?

Michael de Icaza, who wrote mc, gnumeric, gnome (in PROTEST to KDE, which was owned by a proprietary software house at the time!) and evolution before he began praising all things Microsoft. He melded GTK+ and MONO to create GTK#, which are GTK+ functions that allow MONO apps to have user interface GUI windows, since .NET's "WinForms" is not part of the ECMA 334 & 335 "standards" and cannot legally be used in MONO without violating MS patents, even though Novell is doing exactly that. Talk about an IP trap...

Windows developers using .NET who are seeking to latch their shareware onto Linux's wagon as its desktop market share approaches 15% in the US and higher in other countries, and with FireFox reaching 38% market share as IE falls out of first place.

Corporations who are using .NET to write their Windows software and see MONO as a way to port their code to Linux without having to rewrite it. I guess they never head of the MONO "Migration Analysis" tool the reports "IF" and how difficult it would be to do such a port. These folks are joining Canonical's "Partner" program, for a fee, which gives them access to Shuttlesworth's ear. (BTW, I know from 5 years experience that apps written with Qt4 can be compiled under Linux or Windows with no changes. No "migration analysis" is necessary.)

Mark Shuttlesworth, who voted in abstentia along with the other board members at the June 29, 2009 Ubuntu Technical Board meeting to make "future Ubuntu desktop remixes" dependent on MONO. The very same Shuttlesworth who once said, in times now long past, "If Microsoft's API becomes dominate on Linux then what is the point of Linux?"

Comment

That's kinda... treacherous?
                          Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                          Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=29

^^Can you believe this^^
                            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
                              Sure. Comments like that appear frequently when one opposes MONO. I've never heard of Zekopeko but a little Googling reveals that he has an interest in MONO apps like Banshee and its extensions, et. al.
                              His bias is for MONO (he calls it Mono) and MS.

EDIT: On further reading I can say with 100% certainty that GreyGeek is a regular at BN. He even has a quote in the signature from BN that is attributed to Shuttleworth but by digging in BN you can see that Roy is lying about it.
                              100% certainty?

Tanja Zekaj (zekopeko) should get a new crystal ball. The fact is that I RARELY visit BN or read BN, and posted a comment there only once or twice during the period when MONO fanbois were attempting to shut his site down by spamming the comments section. In a post I made a suggestion about controlling the harassment but Roy rejected it. BN/Roy is the MONO gang's favorite target.

The claim he makes that I took my sig from a posting on BN is bogus as well. I read that quote in a German magazine article about an interview with Shuttleworth. In it he mentioned the amount he was spending each year in support of Ubuntu, and asked the question which I now use as my sig. When Carla Schroeder asked me about the $8M/yr I quoted in an LT comment a year or two ago I went looking for the article but couldn't find it. Perhaps it was no longer on line, just like the minutes of the Ubuntu Technical Board of June 29, 2009 announcing that all future Ubuntu desktop remixes would be dependent on MONO, which was replaced by a MONO position statement. I couldn't find any other minutes which were missing around that period.

Shuttleworth is right, regardless of what the MONO gang believes. I'll paraphrase: "If the Ubuntu desktop becomes dependent on Microsoft's API, then what is the purpose of Ubuntu?" But, I don't use Ubuntu or Gnome. If Kubuntu becomes infected with MONO I'll find a distro that shuns MONO.
                              What I don't understand is why anyone would deliberately choose a distro which depends on Microsoft's API? They would be happier if they stayed with Windows. It begs the question as to why they are messing with Linux at all, unless it is to plant a Trojan inside the community.

Comment

Working...
                              X