Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a total Linux newbie and I installed Kubuntu so easily.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a total Linux newbie and I installed Kubuntu so easily.

I've only tried Linux one time before and that was years ago with RedHat.  I never figured it out so I gave up.  Far too hard for me at the time.  Earlier this year I started reading more and more about Ubuntu because it was showing up on Digg so much.  I decided to give it a try and what do you know?  It's a breeze to install.

I created a blog to track my Kubuntu quest.  I'll repost my conclusion here:

Installation was frighteningly easy. I started at 2:34PM and I was at my desktop ready to do the updates at 2:56PM. It took me from booting off the DVD to an Internet-ready desktop OS in 22 minutes! Not to mention I had to perform an action during install only seven times. Nice. I like having an install where it doesn't require much input from me. When was the last time you installed Windows in 22 minutes with performing only seven actions (as in typing a name, clicking on options)? Most likely your answer is: Never. Same for me.

I would say virtually anyone can install Kubuntu. It's very easy. So now it's time to find and install programs. I'm going to try Firefox, Thunderbird, and Opera. Wish me luck! Pictures and updates shall continue.

The rest and more is on my blog: http://kubnewb.blogspot.com/

P.S. Kubuntu devs: Thanks so much!

Re: I'm a total Linux newbie and I installed Kubuntu so easily.

I think you--like me--lucked out with Linux-compatible hardware.

It isn't easy for people who don't happen to have Linux-compatible hardware. Those people have quite a nightmare experience of it, actually... much like installing Windows from scratch.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

You're right, I was lucky.  I guess having an older Dell system that wasn't modified much from its stock warehouse configuration.  I'm really glad it went so well for me.

Comment

Well, I was lucky, too--so we're in the same boat.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

In spite of my three years of experience and continuous usage of linux, some distros give me a hell of head ache. I have been dilly dallying with various distros. To be honest, I find just a few distros worth the salt. eg: PCLINUXOS,Zenwalk,Kubuntu apart from the mainstream distros of Debian/Slackware/Redhat-Fedora/Mandriva.

Glad that your first installtion went on smoothly - kudos to Kubuntu developers

Comment

Working...
          X