X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a beautiful thing

Did the deed.

Using Gparted, I formatted my existing Ubuntu 9.10 installation (goodbye Gnome): two partitions, root and /home; and proceeded to install Kubuntu 10.04 to same, ensuring that Grub 2 installed its self to sda3, the root partition for Lucid.

Installation went without a single hitch. Kubuntu 9.04 is the 'controlling' boot OS (using Grub Legacy), so I booted first into Kubuntu Karmic to edit it's Grub 2 configuration file (40_custom) and the menu.lst file in 9.04. That done, I rebooted and from 9.04's boot menu, opted for Kubuntu Lucid 10.04.

Lucid booted without a single hitch. Saw the new branded (blue) boot splash screen, was presented with the default KDM login screen (with proper resolution and fonts), logged in and the desktop loaded, again in proper screen resolution with nicely displayed fonts.

Screen brightness controls work. Sound works. Network was connected. Added my Weather widget. Connected with Konqueror, and here I am.

Of course, I now have to start the 'customization' of my new Lucid OS, but hey, that's what it's all about!

A very nice experience. A++

8)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: It's a beautiful thing

Indeed, I was very impressed with 10.4. I've been using Ubuntu for a long time, been a while since I've used KDE, but I love it so far!

Comment

For some reason, it took me a L-O-O-O-O-N-G time (over an hour) to upgrade from Karmic to Lucid via the MIT Media Lab mirror, on Saturday. Now that Lucid is running, I'm reasonably happy except for a minor glitch with multiple desktops. I use different backgrounds on each desktop and the backgrounds want to "slide around". When the cursor is sitting on the desktop background, I get a hand (instead of an arrow) and the background image moves if the left button is depressed. I've never seen this one before, and I'm not getting any joy with my attempts at fooling around in System Settings. This is clearly not a show-stopper, however.

Comment

I noticed the 'hand' yesterday. Click the left mouse button and the hand 'closes' - grab and drag?

Something I was doing after the installation caused the pointer to turn into the hand, and yes, only if the mouse pointer was on the Desktop. In my case, I don't use separate desktop activities, so click+hold (closing the hand) and moving the mouse did not move my desktop.

This morning, the mouse pointer, even when on the desktop background, is the expected pointer. Don't know what caused it to change yesterday.

Have you rebooted?

Comment

I believe that the computer rebooted at the end of the update. I tend to be an uptime geek, but I'll reboot and see if that changes anything.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            I tend to be an uptime geek, but I'll reboot and see if that changes anything.
            We all have to come down sometime.

Comment

It worked! My backgrounds, cursor, etc. are back to normal! Note to self: Always try the simple things!

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                Note to self: Always try the simple things!
                Why try simple, when difficult is SO much more fun!

What happened to your avatar?

Comment

Both Desktop and Laptop went well here. Clean installs except for /home of course. Everything detected and functional. The desktop did something funky on reboot. Went to some weird CLI, not even GRUB's. Ctrl-Alt-Del and everything worked from that point forward. Only two issues. Intermomentary screen-saver evidently didn't make the cut ( ) (only one I ever really liked!) and Lancelot had some odd menu corruption going on (both laptop and desktop). Other than that I was able to get all other applications back in. All in all I agree, It's a Beautiful Thing!

Edit: Oh, on the Desktop with an NVIDIA display card I do not see the new boot splash.

Comment

This is the quickest I've ever switched to a new version of Kubuntu 'as my main' OS. I have everything working in Lucid, even my USB printer! (See my Why can't I access my USB printer? post)

This has been a very satisfying move up.

Comment

I didn't even have to mess with the laptop setting with it being an Intel GM display card. Everything there just worked!! It has been a long time since that display card just worked. That was nice!

Comment

Same with my Toshiba. Yes, the Lucid Lynx, at least on my rig, has been the most mature Kubuntu installation I've had. I am, as stated, very impressed.

Comment

Working...
                        X