Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that my school will follow up on a sudoers incident report?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think that my school will follow up on a sudoers incident report?

Okay so here's what happened: Today in Homebase (my district has cutesy names for everything), I tried gaining root privileges on a Mac OS X machine just to see if it would work (considering how unprofessionally designed our security is - the Windows machines don't even have group policies). Unfortunately, unlike the Windows machines, the security on the Macs is a little better, and the school wasn't dumb enough to put everyone in the sudoers file on the server (which is basically what they did on the Windows machines by allowing access to cmd.exe, since there are so many cmd exploits). Even worse, I forgot about how sudoers incidents are reported (adamkleiner is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported). My question is to see whether or not anybody else thinks that I will be approached by school IT staff or even assigned consequences. I am not sure one way or the other, so I want other opinions on what everybody else thinks will (or will not) happen.

Re: Do you think that my school will follow up on a sudoers incident report?

Oh, probably nothing more than, oh, hmm, a public execution.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Oh, probably nothing more than, oh, hmm, a public execution.
      LOL!

Comment

That kind of stuff is up to the school. More than likely you won't be approached for one attempt, if your account starts logging more suspicious activity, then probably, but I doubt they'll freak out over one. Course, I don't know your school, maybe there will be a public execution

Comment

It depends on how smart the admin is, and what their knowledge of computer and internet security is. At the least your actions constitute attempted electronic break in to a secure computer. Attempting to break into a secured computer electronically is now a US Federal Crime, and Atlanta, GA is in the USA, I suspect you MAY get a visit from some people who like to throw their weight around. And, Adam, having a pseudonym of "hackeradmin" on your email address isn't putting you in the best light. Running a MAC OS X makes it very unlikely you were hacked into and some evil hacker did the deed, as computer forensic analysis of the system logs showing a timestamp, combined with the timestamp of your login to use the laptop, will show the access attempts were committed by you. At the least I suspect that they will revoke your right to use their computers and remove your login permission from any computers on their network. At the worse, you could be facing fines, probations, community service. IF the prosecutor has an agenda to go after hackers, or is looking for press to use in a climb to higher political office, you may be his whipping boy. I hope you are not into the Gothic image, or dress like a 60's radical, or wear peace sign t-shirts, or have a drug or Mary Jane problem. If so, it's time to clean up your act, get a hair cut and go college prep clothes-wise in preparation for a possible court date.

Your first clue as to what may lie ahead of you is if they make you do the "perp walk" in handcuffs, with media taking videos and authorities having a press conference to show that they are "getting to the bottom" of the matter. If they mention terrorist or Al Queda then you are in for a really hot time. Either way, if you get hauled into the school office and threatened with prosecution do NOT respond in any way to their questions, OR make any admissions as to what you did or your motives. Remember, what you say can AND WILL be used against you. Contact your folks and ask them to bring an attorney with them to the school to protect your civil rights and not get slipshod treatment. His fees may be the least or your future costs.

Here is what happened to a substitute teach when "angry parents", lied to by their complicit children, phoned the school to complain: http://www.pcworld.com/article/15461...to_prison.html
          The final result of the case was that an INNOCENT substitute teacher was
          Amero reached a plea bargain agreement with prosecutors late last week. She pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge, paid a US$100 fine and had her state teaching license revoked. Now, she says, she wants some peace, but she's still clearly upset with local prosecutors, whom she says pursued an "incompetent and malicious" case against her.
          The fact that she was charged with anything is a miscarriage of justice. The main evidence of the prosecutor was the "expert' testimony of a police investigator who had, a couple weeks prior, undergone 'training" in the use of Windows computer forensics software. He had NO previous experience with computers and barely understood how to run a computer, must less analyze files and logs. He was probably licking his chops to play the "expert" in court. It reminds me of a village marshal where I taught high school. I was his deputy (part time to supplement a $700/mo teaching income). When he got back from a week of law enforcement training required by a (then) recent law, he told me about the FBI shooting expert who trained the new state trooper recruits (and town marshals) in the user of firearms. The FBI guy used the term "wasted" when referring to shooting an armed adversary. He told me "Jerry, I can't wait to waste someone". This just after he pulled his 9mm in feigned surprise and pointed it (COCKED!) at me through the screen as I walked up the steps to collect the gun and badge to do patrols that evening. I quit after that incident. He was fired when it was learned that he was keeping a dossier on the comings and goings of folks around town, just as if he was some honcho in a police state.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X