Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google's Android OS infringes on Microsoft's patents ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google's Android OS infringes on Microsoft's patents ???

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/m...-licenses-htc/

The lawyers up in Redmond seem to have been woken from their slumber with the sudden realization that -- oh look! -- Google's Android OS infringes on Microsoft's boatload of software patents. How specifically it does so is not identified, but Microsoft believes that elements from both the user interface and the underlying operating system are in violation of its rights. This is very much in keeping with the Windows maker's crusade to assert patent claims over Linux, which in the past has garnished it with cross-licensing deals with Amazon and Xandros, as well as a settlement from TomTom. Lawsuits are not yet being discussed here, but lest you think this is a small-time disturbance, longtime Windows Mobile / Windows Phone partner HTC has already decided to shorten its list of troubles by ponying up for a license from Microsoft that covers its Android phones -- it would be pretty insane if Microsoft sued one of its biggest and most important hardware manufacturers for patent infringement, after all. Even still, it's now an unfortunate fact that HTC is having to pay Microsoft royalties to use Google's operating system. Strange days, indeed.

Update: Microsoft deputy general counsel of intellectual property Horacio Gutierrez just sent us a statement saying that the company's been "talking to several device manufacturers to address our concerns relative to the Android mobile platform." We're taking that to mean the same as above: Microsoft isn't too interested in suing any of its Windows Mobile / Windows Phone partners, so it's trying to work out patent license deals with those companies in advance of any nastiness. It's an interesting strategy: patents forbid anyone from making, using, or selling your invention, so Redmond can protect its partners while still leaving open the possibility of a lawsuit with Google itself down the line. In fact, we'd almost say it seems like Microsoft's agreement with HTC is as much of a threat to Google as Apple's lawsuit -- Redmond's basically saying you can't sell an Android device without paying a license fee, and we'd bet those fees are real close to the Windows Phone 7 license fee. Clever, clever -- we'll see how this one plays out.....
    Microsoft has used similar tactics on other small players in various ancillary computer markets. Rather than sue Google directly, Microsoft makes noises and rattles sabers about its patent portfolio, claiming it owns the Android OS because of them, and threatens the small mobile phone makers who may want to compete with Microsoft's entries in that field. It is EXACTLY the same tactic Microsoft used when it funded SCO's attack on Linux by suing a Linux user, IBM, and not Linux itself.

It is obvious that national political figures of BOTH political parties personally profit too much by the current USTPO system to change it. The Libertarian party would give these giant multinationals even MORE political and financial power via their "hands off free enterprise" policies. We need a new party in the USA. A Pirate Party, focused on reforming the USTPO.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Google's Android OS infringes on Microsoft's patents

Yeah, as an HTC/Android owner this really ticks me off... well, even if I just had a non-linux moto flip I'd be ticked off... but I am trying to keep my language as clean as possible because that is not the case and I should just shut up before the swearing starts.

BTW, I voted for Barr! Freaking telecom immunity vote by Obama made it pretty clear to me that he was not about change. I think McCain -20 years would have been a good candidate, but what the hell became of him?

Now I gotta worry about Russ "only vote against the patriot act" Feingold getting removed by a beer.

Comment

Didn't see this one from GG until now. Posted something very similar:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111287.0

A Pirate Party
      Oooooo. A Jolly Rogers flag as a logo.

Comment

Do you remember the old Jolly Rodger Cookbook, and The Anarchist Cookbook? They supposedly showed how to trick pay phones into dialing long distance for free, how to hot wire cars, how to make explosives, etc...

I purchased a copy of The Anarchist Cook book, and downloaded a text file of the Jolly Roger Cookbook out of curiosity. I was shocked at the techniques and methodologies they promoted. Very dangerous. I said so in a newsgroup post in a thread some juvenile was posting to, bragging about what he was doing, and explained, without giving away specific technical data, how he could blow his head off using the techniques he has bragging about. For example, you have to keep the precursors to Nitroglycerin at a certain temperature range to maximize the quantity produced. Below that temperature range little is formed. Above it Di-Nitrogen Tetra-Oxide, a brownish red gas, is the main result. The gas is VERY toxic. A drop of Nitroglycerin hitting the floor will sound like a 12 gauge shotgun blast. I've done that experiment several times. If you make 5 CCs and after making a few test drops you set the remaining amount aside, because it is impure it will detonate when it reaches room temperature. After showing engineers at Bradford Labs, where I worked as an analytical chemist, how easy Nitroglycerin is to make, and letting them drop a few drops, I set the remainder in the Hood, with the thought of disposing of it later. I forgot about it. The next morning, when I arrived at work, one of the engineers asked if I had seen my lab. The Hood was destroyed. The walls were pushed out, titrating equipment shattered, and hot plates thrown out onto the floor. The Hood filter was compressed and pushed up into the chimney. That was just approximately 5 CCs.

The editor of the magazine "Internet Underground" saw my comments in that newsgroup and discussed the situation with me. My comments were the basis of an article on The Anarchist Cookbook, and similar texts, in the September, 1996 issue, page 43. "Architects of Destruction", by Paul Leonard.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X