X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Kubuntu Lucid

Hello,
    I am a new and proud regular user of Kubuntu. I was testing the Kubuntu 10.04 development release along side the Ubuntu development release and I am happy to say that KDE is now my favorite desktop. I have been using Ubuntu (Gnome) since the release of 8.04, and tried Kubuntu off and on since then, and I have to say that 10.04 is by far the best release for Kubuntu yet. I haven't found a single KDE related 'show stopper' problem/bug in this release yet. I did see some widget glitches one day when I was using the Analog Clock widget on the desktop and occasionally I will see a crash notice if I force quit some applications before they are fully loaded though. There were plenty of non-kde bugs for me to report (of course) so I didn't miss out on any of the fun, most of which were already reported on the Ubuntu side of my dual boot setup.

There are alot of little features in KDE that I was never aware of, which I now like using. For instance, I can create application shortcut widgets from the menu/kicker, to the desktop, and they won't get deleted or moved out of position if I lock the widgets. This is so handy! I like being able to sort icons in different ways, arrange to grid, etc. I also like having a built in wallpaper changer too. I also like how updates are handled in KDE's update manager, and I like the way how the icons in the System Tray can be hidden and popup notices can be adjusted there too. I never realized those little (but very helpful) things about KDE, while I was using Gnome as my preferred desktop all along. My Kubuntu boot times are not too shabby for a Pentium 4 either, averaging 34 seconds using 'bootchart'. Another thing I appreciate in Kubuntu is not implementing Ubuntu's newest features... since I'm not a person who would need them. (no offense)

So, thanks Kubuntu Team! Your are doing a fantastic job with Kubuntu Lucid.

Re: Thank you Kubuntu Lucid

Welcome aboard. I've tryed a lot of different distros with different desktops and I keep coming back to Ubuntu with KDE. When I used other desktops I found I always had to install k3b and krusader so for me it's just KDE from now on. Unless I start feeling really nostalgic for xfce.

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu. I must admit that this is the first time I've seen someone happy that the devs don't maintain feature parity between Ubuntu and its derivative *buntu distros. I guess there is an advantage to being the "blue-headed stepchild", after all.

If you do run into a problem, we're here to help.

Comment

actually I'm another one of those that is quite happy we don't have too much 'buntu' stuff being put on us. I think ubuntu gnome version is quite visually and usably unappealing right now. I've been a kde fan since i started with linux and kubuntu is very well done

Comment

Hi, and thanks for the replies.
          What brought me to use KDE regularly is the several projects that Ubuntu is currently working on, and the more things they intend to work on. While those things might be great for a lot of people, and might even attract more users, I just don't see myself as wanting to use them, or use them while they remain under construction for a while. Now that I have spent more time with KDE and Kubuntu, I am appreciating them much more than I ever have. I did have some questions about the locations of theme directories, but I already figured it out by searching the web.
          Thanks again...

Comment

Welcome to the party!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X