Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You'd think Google would have known better ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd think Google would have known better ...

than to put their stuff on Windows servers:

Google Attackers Gained Access to Computer Code

Security experts had previously uncovered evidence that the attackers had stolen some source-code from the company, by exploiting a security flaw in Microsoft Corp's Internet Explore
    One can understand why private firms and individuals would get hacked while running Windows, but how long will they persist in running what they cannot keep secure? Time will tell...
    The group, which is believed to be Chinese and has been identified by investigators by its attack methods, has broadened its victims to include law firms and utility companies, this person said. It's been penetrating companies at a rate of at least 20-50 new companies a week, this person added.
    Translation: "penetrating" means that they robbed these companies blind of any corporate or personal secrets that were stored on their computers. Gone is their ability to compete against companies who buy or were given this information, and if any of the information is personal and embarrassing or tells of illegal activities the unhappy Windows users are subject to extortion.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: You'd think Google would have known better ...

I worked for the Federal Government for 25 years. After 9/11 we had a "computer security" briefing during which they started the discussion with IE - the only browser allowed on Government computers.

I stood up, interrupted, and loudly asked in a room full of people "If the Government is interested in internet security, why are we required to use the most vulnerable operating system and the most vulnerable internet browser? If you use windows and Internet Explorer, it's not a question of if you'll be attacked or have a breach, it's a question of when."

The guy from doing the briefing was a tech guy, so HE knew I was right. His only answer was "Hey, I'm just doing my job."

Needless to say, I left the briefing and went to the break room.

Even then, most of our servers and critical network machines were running RedHat but we weren't allowed to use it on the desktop. Stupid...

Thank God the Obama Administration is swinging toward linux and open source like many of the State Governments and European Governments.

Please Read Me

Comment

As I understood the description of the exploit, Google uses it's own OS which is based on Linux. The Google employee was using a personal laptop running windoze at home. The employee stored his/her Google password on the laptop (for "convenience"). The hackers stole the password from the employee's machine when he/she clicked on something with M$IE that installed a keystroke logger on the lappie. The only thing Google could have done would have been to screen more carefully for stupidity before hiring the individual in question.

for example:
      Interviewer: Are you familiar with Windoze?

Job Candidate: Yes, I use it at home.

Interviewer: I'm sorry, I don't think you're qualified for a position requiring knowledge of computer operations.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        Thank God the Obama Administration is swinging toward linux and open source like many of the State Governments and European Governments.
        I hope he succeeds, but he is running against HUGE amounts of bribe money from corporations, taken by most congressmen from both parties. Obama ran on creating a Single Payer Universal Health care system and WON by a landslide. Yet, despite that mandate, almost all of his OWN party took bribes from corporations and players whose obscene incomes derive from the status quo. The resulting "health" care bill is a travesty and a mockery of our Republic. The entire process is explained by Lawrence Lessig in this recent speech.

In it he gives examples of how Congress and the telecoms have rigged the US Internet to favor maximizing profit on copper wires and on the wireless network by blocking the move to fiber optics from source to door. I pay $72/month for a 12Mb connection. I get nothing else. No tv, no phone, etc. France uses fiber optic. For 33$/month you can get everything listed in the graphic. That comparison gives you an example of the effects of corporate corruption in this country, spurred on by the politicians desire to get reelected regardless of the damage done to our Republic. Our Congress has made South American despots look like rank amateurs. It's even more galling when you realize that the American taxpayer paid the telcoms over $200 BILLION dollars 15 years ago to plant fiber optic around the country in order to replace copper cable. The cable and telcoms took the money but did nothing because they bribed Congress into not adding teeth to the bill for non-compliance ... the very same bill the Congressmen were also bribed to add a clause which forbids local governments from "competing" against private cable and telcos. The local governments had repeatedly asked the cable and telcos to plant fiber optic but they refused and just sat on their copper wire income stream. When the local governments began planting their own fiber optic the cable and telcos went running to Congress to complain about "unfair competition". We now have the results of that corruption -- the US is behind even many 3rd world countries in the quality and speed of their Internet network.

Matters were made even worse when the US Supreme Court struck down the FCC's net-neutrality rulings when Citizens United lost their lawsuit against RCN's throttling of P2P connections. The US Supreme Court gave carte blanch to ISPs to throttle internet service any way they wish, and you can bet your last dime that they will do so ONLY in the way which maximizes their profits regardless of how bad the consumer gets trampled on. I fully expect to see my 12Mb connection costs increase by at least 50% within the year. IF that happens I shall drop my cable connection in protest.

Attached Files
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Originally posted by oshunluvr
          I hope he succeeds, but he is running against HUGE amounts of bribe money from corporations, taken by most congressmen from both parties. Obama ran on creating a Single Payer Universal Health care system and WON by a landslide. Yet, despite that mandate, almost all of his OWN party took bribes from corporations and players whose obscene incomes derive from the status quo. The resulting "health" care bill is a travesty and a mockery of our Republic. The entire process is explained by Lawrence Lessig in this recent speech.

In it he gives examples of how Congress and the telecoms have rigged the US Internet to favor maximizing profit on copper wires and on the wireless network by blocking the move to fiber optics from source to door. I pay $72/month for a 12Mb connection. I get nothing else. No tv, no phone, etc. France uses fiber optic. For 33$/month you can get everything listed in the graphic. That comparison gives you an example of the effects of corporate corruption in this country, spurred on by the politicians desire to get reelected regardless of the damage done to our Republic. Our Congress has made South American despots look like rank amateurs. It's even more galling when you realize that the American taxpayer paid the telcoms over $200 BILLION dollars 15 years ago to plant fiber optic around the country in order to replace copper cable. The cable and telcoms took the money but did nothing because they bribed Congress into not adding teeth to the bill for non-compliance ... the very same bill the Congressmen were also bribed to add a clause which forbids local governments from "competing" against private cable and telcos. The local governments had repeatedly asked the cable and telcos to plant fiber optic but they refused and just sat on their copper wire income stream. When the local governments began planting their own fiber optic the cable and telcos went running to Congress to complain about "unfair competition". We now have the results of that corruption -- the US is behind even many 3rd world countries in the quality and speed of their Internet network.

Matters were made even worse when the US Supreme Court struck down the FCC's net-neutrality rulings when Citizens United lost their lawsuit against RCN's throttling of P2P connections. The US Supreme Court gave carte blanch to ISPs to throttle internet service any way they wish, and you can bet your last dime that they will do so ONLY in the way which maximizes their profits regardless of how bad the consumer gets trampled on. I fully expect to see my 12Mb connection costs increase by at least 50% within the year. IF that happens I shall drop my cable connection in protest.

Yep! It is amazing that it just keeps going status quo one administration after the next regardless of affiliation. Sad, sad, sad.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            As I understood the description of the exploit, Google uses it's own OS which is based on Linux. The Google employee was using a personal laptop running windoze at home. The employee stored his/her Google password on the laptop (for "convenience"). The hackers stole the password from the employee's machine when he/she clicked on something with M$IE that installed a keystroke logger on the lappie. The only thing Google could have done would have been to screen more carefully for stupidity before hiring the individual in question.

for example:
            Interviewer: Are you familiar with Windoze?

Job Candidate: Yes, I use it at home.

Interviewer: I'm sorry, I don't think you're qualified for a position requiring knowledge of computer operations.
            I think "Losedows" is more accurate...

Comment

Working...
            X