X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novell owns UNIX copyright

came across this news..

The battle between SCO Group and Novell over key copyrights of the UNIX OS has ended in favour of Novell. The District Court of Utah in a recent verdict has ruled that important UNIX copyright ownership belongs to Novell.
    full article:
    http://www.ciol.com/Open-Source/News.../7410134456/0/
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Re: Novell owns UNIX copyright

Good.

If I remember correctly, the "scope" of the copyrights was also previously reduced during the first trial -- there is much less of Unix that even has any applicable copyrights, as SCO was not able to show evidence that copyrights existed for many features of Unix.

Comment

An interesting revelation from the trial was that the "expose'" that Maureen O'Gara did on P.J. was at the direct request of SCO's Blake Stowell to "send a jap P.J's way". Now, O'Gara is listed among the SCO creditors awaiting payment for her "services", a foul attack piece that was the product of a "hadrion", exactly what she accused P.J. of being.

Now, after totally destroying her own credibility as a journalist, reporter, or even commentator, she won't let it rest. She has posted this piece of disinformation. According to her, "most people" think that the jury got it wrong, and that SCO does own the copyrights to the Unix IP but that "most people" think that the judge got it right when he said Novell does NOT own the IP to WordPerfect, which it bought in 1994, along with QuatroPro.

She makes me think of SecondLife, which can be summarized by "lag, lag, lag, lag, lag". Her articles are characterized as "spin, spin, spin, spin, spin", always in favor of her one-time employer.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good news to hear.

GG, I read her article and to me it sounds as though she's in somebody's back pocket, IMO. Yes, she doesn't seem credible.

Comment

That she is!

It was revealed in the cross at the SCO vs Novell trial. See my previous post and check Groklaw about it.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X