This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dsl linux

i am wondering if anyone has ever tried dsl linux. what is your opinions comments etc etc about it.
    thanks in advance

Re: dsl linux

I've never tried DSL but I looked at installing it recently on an old dell notebook. I decided to go with Toutou linux - a french derivative of Puppy Linux - instead after reading that DSL isn't active (at the moment at least ; not 100% sure about that).

So although that doesn't directly answer your question, if what you're after is a lightweight OS I'd definitely recommend you burn off a live disc and give Puppy linux a try.

It's taken me a while to get used to, but as I'm coming to terms with how to install software etc., it's becoming one of my preferred OSs. Plus, it runs pretty fast on a computer that was sluggish at best on its previous OS (XP).

Mike

Comment

Damn Small Linux - Wikipedia
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok heres some info on what i'm looking for.

i came across a 10 year sony vaio. cpu 1.2 ram 256 mb hd 60 gb.
        i was looking a little bit at lite weight distros and i tried out puppy slax and dsl, with a live cd
        puppy i could not connect to the internet
        slax i might not have the time to figure out how to install on the hd, internet was ok
        dsl i knew there are problems with dsl being up to date when i downloaded the live cd.

are there any other lite weight distos that might be worthwhile to look at?

thanks in advance

Comment

I used DSL on an old desktop and it preformed pretty good. Maybe a little hard to use at times but for anyone with much linux experience it should be easy.
          Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Comment

Originally posted by muzzi
            Xubuntu
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by muzzi

An extreme case would be the Parted Magic Live CD, from here: http://partedmagic.com/download.html

It is all set up to load to RAM and eject the CD, and then you're good to go, even with that little Sony Vaio. Of course if you loaded it up with OOO and Firefox and Amarok, then I guess it wouldn't be "lite" any more.

Comment

DSL isent bad I had it runing on a 64MIb USB at one time in the past .......... but a little tuff if your newish.

U-lite works prity well on old stuff..........
                http://u-lite.org/

I have it runing on a 600Mhz-CPU 128-RAM box.

and it uses Hardey repos

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

ok i got xubuntu 804 up and running. now i have to download all the update stuff. i know 804 is old, but i really don't care cause all it will be used for is to browse the web, play a movie once in awhile, nonsense stuff.

thanks alot the help guys.

Comment

A bit late I know but there was recently a review of lightweight distros in a UK magazine.

It's now found its way onto the website

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/what...t-linux-distro

Comment

dsl runs a 2.4 kernel. n-dsl a 2.6 kernel but is quite a bit bigger (~250MB). Puppy is supposed to be good but xubuntu or crunchbang are also fine alternatives. All depends on your specs, but it is prolly too late for that
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                      X