This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu IS NOT Ubuntu!

That is a point made by Apachelogger, who does Kubuntu dev work.

Kubuntu is not Ubuntu

Kubuntu is by 5/1 controlled by the community, Ubuntu (the desktop distribution) is not. You might wonder how I ended up with 5/1. Well, the Kubuntu Council (pretty much in all cases the highest authority within Kubuntu) consists of 6 members, of which 5 are not working for Canonical.
    Kubuntu originated in a community effort to bring the KDE desktop on the Ubuntu base stack. Canonical decided to use GNOME for their desktop and some community members decided to create another version with KDE as the desktop. Canonical apparently thought of this as a good idea and incorporated Kubuntu into the Ubuntu project, thus providing infrastructure for package building and hosting and website hosting and CD building… But they only had little interest of exploiting the business potential that comes with a KDE featuring desktop based on Ubuntu, though there certainly was some potential and so they decided to take on a bit of responsibility. Namely employing one of Kubuntu’s founding fathers full time. The community however continued to be driving in just about any aspect, and so the community also had most power over the course of development, simply because they were responsible for the product and the development of the product.
    Kubuntu is not a large project like the Ubuntu project, it is part of the Ubuntu project and thus must obey its rules and regulations to some degree. This for example means that we cannot just stick some random non-free software on our CDs.
    Another important difference is that most changes in Kubuntu do not come from Canonical. They either originate in KDE or within the Kubuntu development community (and of that also only 2 people work for Canonical … go figure). One of the most interesting examples of wrong assumptions in this category, affecting me, was that apparently the Mozilla Firefox installer, that is available in Kubuntu 9.10 and later, was created by Canonical. At least various reviews claimed so, well, indeed it was me who created it, and I am not employee of Canonical, nor does Canonical own the code.
    In general one might say that stuff going on in Kubuntu mostly does not have anything to do with Canonical, and if it does, then it is still approved or tolerated by the community.
    It makes the two Whiners statements about Ubuntu, and especially Kubuntu, stand out as particularly inflammatory gas.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Kubuntu IS NOT Ubuntu!

The Firefox installer creates a very basic installation of Firefox where you can't even right-click on a downloaded file in the downloads window and open its folder... I think they improved it in Lucid, but I'm using Karmic.

Comment

@ajk95: in karmic you can install firefox-3.5-kde in which integration has been done. but yes.. that is done by default in lucid.
      @GreyGeek: nice info.. and kubuntu rokz!!
      but looking at number of problems faced by new release time and again i feel kubuntu release date should have been different from ubuntu.. may be a couple of weeks later then ubuntu.
      for the same reason i have not upgraded to lucid yet.. let it get bit stable
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

It is my observation that "stability" seems to be more of a function the user, the hardware the user has, and the combination of applications and drivers they've installed.

As it turns out, both Kubuntu 9.04 and 10.4, on my Sony VAIO VGN-DW140E, has been rock solid. Friday night I helped a fellow who is as old as I am (68) to upgrade his Karmic installation to Lucid Lynx via a net upgrade. It took a while, but he reports that Lucid is just as rock sold as Karmic, but faster. I got a call Friday afternoon from a fellow 10 years older than I am, who just got home from the hospital after 50 days in intensive care for quintuple bypass, saying that he can't connect to his wireless. No chance to use Skype's "Share my Screen" there. I drove by on my way to a dinner engagement and found that he hadn't plugged in the power cable to his Linksys WRT54G wireless router. And, he moved the eth cable from the input port to the third output port on the back of the wireless router. Lucid Lynx was working perfectly for him. (He browse all day while in the ICU ).

I support nearly a dozen other people, on whose machines I installed Kubuntu, and I rarely hear from any of them. This morning one of the dropped by to tell me how pleased he was with Kubunut. I hadn't heard from Bob since the day in last November (IIRC) that I replaced VISTA with Karmic and gave him a 10 minute lesson in email, browsing and letter writing with Kubuntu. He said he had gotten a notification about an upgrade to Lucid Lynx via the net but didn't know what it meant so he canceled it. I told him that if he gets it again then take it.

One hardware problem that is beginning to rear its head with ATI video chip users is ATI's decision to move chips from their Radeon 9x series and before to unsupported legacy status. Now, the Catalyst 10.2 video driver won't support early ATI cards and the old Catalyst 8.2 driver that should, won't communicate with the newer kernels. Users of such legacy chips are left with VESA as about the only option if the open source driver doesn't work. Dittos for legacy Broadcom 43xx wireless chips. Such corporate decisions (which seem to aid only Microsoft) are forcing users of perfectly good equipment to abandon it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

@GG: you are 68!! my respect for you has increased even more
          i have nVidia graphics and Broadcom wifi (as mentioned in my signature)
          in karmic when i used to click on System->Hardware Drivers it used to display me drivers for these two hardwares.. but now unfortunately it does not display those.
          are there any possibilities that it will show in Hardware Drivers after few days? what do you think?
          anyways my exams are on 23rd this month.. wont be daring to test drive before that..
          asus A52N
          Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
          AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
          windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

That made me remember a conversation I hold with a cyber friend one day where she stated that there was no Kubuntu but just Ubuntu. She even told me that it demonstrated how computer illiterate I was... well, I still think I'm kinda illiterate in some aspects but not to that degree where you can tell by sight that I don't know how to keep my own OS running smoothly (unless I break my system after installing some of the backported apps that included a warning regarding the possibility of breaking the system for any reason).
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

You've made me curious, kyonides. Did you ever relieve her of her misunderstanding of the existence of Kubuntu? If you did, did you say anything about being "computer illiterate"?

Comment

The answer is a double no. She "deduced" I was a computer illiterate guy and never wanted to talk about Kubuntu anymore since she "showed me the truth" about this distro. So I never had a chance to correct her as necessary. Actually I told her before that I was completely sure KDE, which makes Kubuntu different from Ubuntu in several aspects, had nothing to do with Ubuntu so it changed the rules for coding and introducing new features or apps into the distro main stream. She just insisted that I wouldn't be able to convince her about that just because she knew it better than me...
                Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

My four year old grandson is like that ... he will insist that strike is a spare, birds don't eat worms, and things like that. Later when you are talking about bowling he knows what a strike is by how he describes what he did on WII bowling. I.E, he never admits that he can be wrong about something..

Comment

Working...
                  X