X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linux Mint Helena

Originally posted by dibl
    -- everything is just an "apt-get" away. It could not be more efficient.
    Whole heartily agree.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
      I really not understand why people have to exaggerate to make a point
      You mean like "No one uses Konqueror" and "Amarok doesn't work"? :P

Rather than trying to make distribution A like distribution B, it's much easier to just use distribution B.

The reason that we have so many distributions is that distributors, developers and users have different goals, priorities and preferences. No distribution can ever be the "best fit" for everyone, so variety of choice is important.

Of course there is nothing wrong in suggesting changes, but suggestions that are based on personal preference are not likely to be accepted as distributors and developers have their own preferences as well...and these preferences are usually acceptable to the existing user base, or the users would likely be using something else.

This is especially true when suggesting a change to distribution's priorities, like fitting the default installation on a single CD in *buntus.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        I really not understand why people have to exaggerate to make a point
        You mean like "No one uses Konqueror" and "Amarok doesn't work"? :P

Rather than trying to make distribution A like distribution B, it's much easier to just use distribution B.

The reason that we have so many distributions is that distributors, developers and users have different goals, priorities and preferences. No distribution can ever be the "best fit" for everyone, so variety of choice is important.

Of course there is nothing wrong in suggesting changes, but suggestions that are based on personal preference are not likely to be accepted as distributors and developers have their own preferences as well...and these preferences are usually acceptable to the existing user base, or the users would likely be using something else.

This is especially true when suggesting a change to distribution's priorities, like fitting the default installation on a single CD in *buntus.

Looking at the stats for the various browsers Konqueror doesn't even show up, which means that there are probably no more than a few thousand users in total.

As for Amarok, I agree that I indulged in a little hyperbole but considering how long they have have had to get CDs to work, it is basically a true statement. It works sporadically at best in Kubuntu and not at all in Mint. They seem to have concentrated on adding loads of bells and whistles but neglected to get the basic functions to work. Can anybody explain to me why Amarok 1.4.10 works perfectly with CDs whilst 2.3.0 does not?

Comment

Looking at the stats for the various browsers Konqueror doesn't even show up, which means that there are probably no more than a few thousand users in total.
          You do realize that browser statistics consist almost solely of windows machines, and are skewed in at least a dozen other ways. There is basically no chance to make a valid statistical analysis of browser usage in linux (or kde) based on the data.

Surveys aren't perfect either (although much better than page hit counts), but if you take a look at, for example, this one (with a fairly good sample of ~38.000 voters), you'll notice that out of those who took part in the survey, roughly 13.000 were using KDE and roughly 5.000 were using konqueror. The survey is old (I couldn't find more recent ones with as big a sample of participants), but it should still demonstrate that the playing field in linux (especially among kde users) is much more level than general page hit statistics imply.

Can anybody explain to me why Amarok 1.4.10 works perfectly with CDs whilst 2.3.0 does not?
          Impossible to tell from here, but amarok 2.3 plays cds just fine on my machine (and has done so since 2.2)

Comment

Originally posted by gemmakaru
            I much prefer having a single cd installation containing a sensible array of apps followed by choosing what I want from the fabulous package system. Part of the attraction of Linux for me is the choices that is gives me. One of the reasons I gave up Suse 10 was because it gave me a DVD full of stuff I really didn't want and took an absolute age to install it too. I bought those Suse disks too, cost me a Quid too. ripoff
            I really not understand why people have to exaggerate to make a point, just because you go over the limit for a CD does not mean you are strangely compelled to fill it up with extraneous stuff. I would prefer Firefox on the disk rather than Amarok if space is such an issue, it doesn't work properly anyway so it won't be a great loss.
            I am sorry to exagerate, it won't happen again I appologise, the suse dvds are only 4.3GB and clearly not THAT much larger than a CD. It loaded in less time than and age too. So sorry.
            How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

I much prefer having a single cd installation containing a sensible array of apps followed by choosing what I want from the fabulous package system. Part of the attraction of Linux for me is the choices that is gives me. One of the reasons I gave up Suse 10 was because it gave me a DVD full of stuff I really didn't want and took an absolute age to install it too. I bought those Suse disks too, cost me a Quid too. ripoff
              I really not understand why people have to exaggerate to make a point, just because you go over the limit for a CD does not mean you are strangely compelled to fill it up with extraneous stuff. I would prefer Firefox on the disk rather than Amarok if space is such an issue, it doesn't work properly anyway so it won't be a great loss.
              I am sorry to exagerate, it won't happen again I appologise, the suse dvds are only 4.3GB and clearly not THAT much larger than a CD. It loaded in less time than and age too. So sorry.
              So what has Suse got to do with anything anyway? That is a total red herring, Linux Mint KDE edition is 1.1g and downloads in around an hour on a 2mb link. You don't have to enable all the restricted stuff along with Medibuntu and Firefox, GIMP, Songbird are all in the install. The installation time is virtually the same as Kubuntu and for a newbie there is no contest in my opinion.

Comment

...dvds are only 4.3GB and clearly not THAT much larger than a CD...
                Hmm. 4.3GB for a DVD vs 700MB for a CD. I was never exposed to *new* math, but 4.3GB is clearly WAY larger than a 700MB CD. :P
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  Hmm. 4.3GB for a DVD vs 700MB for a CD. I was never exposed to *new* math, but 4.3GB is clearly WAY larger than a 700MB CD. :P
                  So DVDs always have to be full? As I've already stated the Mint KDE ISO disk is 1.1G.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Yet I was accused of exagerating. So irony is not allowed as well I give up.
                    How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

locking this topic, it is going nowhere but in circles

Comment

Working...
                      X