Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A forgotten fact about distro development ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A forgotten fact about distro development ...

Mark Shuttlesworth summarized:

No. This is not a democracy. Good feedback, good data, are welcome. But we are not voting on design decisions.
    He's right.

Which is why whining in forums and blogs about those decisions is not only a waste of time but counter productive.

The "rest of the story":
    On 15/03/10 23:42, Pablo Quirós wrote:
    > It'd have been nice if this comment had been made some time ago,
    > together with a deep reasoning on the concrete changes that are in mind.
    >
    > We are supposed to be a community, we all use Ubuntu and contribute to
    > it, and we deserve some respect regarding these kind of decisions. We
    > all make Ubuntu together, or is it a big lie?

We all make Ubuntu, but we do not all make all of it. In other words, we
    delegate well. We have a kernel team, and they make kernel decisions.
    You don't get to make kernel decisions unless you're in that kernel
    team. You can file bugs and comment, and engage, but you don't get to
    second-guess their decisions. We have a security team. They get to make
    decisions about security. You don't get to see a lot of what they see
    unless you're on that team. We have processes to help make sure we're
    doing a good job of delegation, but being an open community is not the
    same as saying everybody has a say in everything.

This is a difference between Ubuntu and several other community
    distributions. It may feel less democratic, but it's more meritocratic,
    and most importantly it means (a) we should have the best people making
    any given decision, and (b) it's worth investing your time to become the
    best person to make certain decisions, because you should have that
    competence recognized and rewarded with the freedom to make hard
    decisions and not get second-guessed all the time.

It's fair comment that this was a big change, and landed without
    warning. There aren't any good reasons for that, but it's also true that
    no amount of warning would produce consensus about a decision like this.

> If you want to tell us
    > that we are all part of it, we want information, and we want our opinion
    > to be decisive.
    >
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: A forgotten fact about distro development ...

Originally posted by GreyGeek

Which is why whining in forums and blogs about those decisions is not only a waste of time but counter productive.
    I have a suspicion that there are some mods at ubuntu forums that feel enough whining will get through to the devs or design folks. Else why would they let those topics linger. Especially on the testing forum.

It just noises up the real issues that needs attention, like Plymouth, booting, freezes, no sound, etc.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

I like what is said. Makes sense to me. I think otherwise you'd have chaos to a certain degree. On the other hand, I do think the devs should spend time on the forums to try and relay some of their thinking and why. No, not everyone would completely understand. but it would help the "image" of community/Ubuntu. Maybe they do poke around here from time to time, but you never get a sense of that. From what I've seen, Rog131 is the closest to that.

Comment

That's why I like to see Rog131 drop by and elucidate various fine points for us.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

and kubicle, too
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes, I forgot about Kubicle. Thanks for the reminder.

I wasn't aware of WHY Shuttlesworth wrote his blog but I found the reason this evening. It seems that the Ubuntu team is changing the position and order of the minimize:maximize:close buttons that are usually on the right side of a window or dialog. They are moving them to the left side and making them menu:close:maximize:minimize

It is causing a FIRESTORM, with about 80% voicing negative complaints. A bug report was filed but various launchpad moderators have various opinions about calling the design change a bug. Some mark it "invalid", others reverse that to "triage", another to "wish list", etc....

It looks like all the protesting won't have any influence (as Mark says, Ubuntu is not a democracy). I suspect that most of the 80% will adapt but probably about 10-20% will move to KDE4 because it stays with the button protocol that has been standard since Windows 95.

Comment

Who really cares about the default theme anyway? To varying degrees, every single distro I've ever installed is as ugly as sin right out of the box -- one of the very first things I do when installing any distro is to change the theme to something I could look at every day.

Comment

It never seizes to amaze me how hot a topic the "default theme" is in the ubuntu/gnome land prior to every release.

I don't know whether it is because kubuntu/kde users are more feature oriented or because the majority don't really care about the defaults as they change to their own settings anyway, but the default theme seems to be mostly a non-issue in kubuntu (at least on these forums). Of course, kubuntu doesn't really stray away from upstream KDE, so there aren't that many "controversial" choices either.

As far as the recent ubuntu changes go, I don't think moving the window buttons around is a particularly good decision, mostly because there is no obvious way to change them back in gnome (in KDE, one could just drag them around in system settings, but gnome needs a bit of gconf editing...not very hard, but not obvious). But I am a firm supporter of the principle that "those who do the work decide".

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                They are moving them to the left side and making them menu:close:maximize:minimize
                From what I gathered, the default order (in ubuntu/gnome) will be (if they don't change it again) "maximize:minimize:close" on the left (no "menu" button, and "close" 3rd from the left)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                  and kubicle, too
                  Yes and Kubicle too.

As far as the buttons thing goes I don't see what is wrong with that AS LONG AS it is obvious how to modify them to a users preference. Though I know GNOME is very unfriendly in that respect. I hate to make this analogy, but I will , but this sounds familiar to another OS I know that tends to change things and expect users to welcome it with open arms and say that it is a great new feature.

Comment

I don't really see what all the controversy is about. It took me about five minutes to adjust to the button placement in Ubuntu 10.04. And now Ubuntu Tweak has released a new version that allows a user to select the button placement and order with a simple GUI interface. As noted, there are more important issues for the devs to be working on. Lucid is shaping up to be a very good release.
                    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                      I don't really see what all the controversy is about. It took me about five minutes to adjust to the button placement in Ubuntu 10.04. And now Ubuntu Tweak has released a new version that allows a user to select the button placement and order with a simple GUI interface. As noted, there are more important issues for the devs to be working on. Lucid is shaping up to be a very good release.
                      http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
                      Nice little application there! That should, IMO, take care of the issue then.

Comment

default matters

For experienced users this may be a non issue, but you may be missing the point of default. That's what the discussion the forum mods are bringing to the forefront.

Case in point. Internet Explorer. Is by far the leading internet browser. Why? default.
                        It may not now be defaulted, but while it was, IE lead the pack.

Working with other peoples computers taught me that. I just recently changed someone from IE to Chrome. They love it! Regardless what you may feel about browsers, like most everything else in life, everyone has an opinion. My point is the defaulted IE for most average user, is left intact.

I have friends, by the way, that have never visited any Ubuntu forum. They love Ubuntu and read about its releases from other sources, and install it themselves, but never post or visit the forums. So in their case, and in most cases ,they come smack into a defaulted situation.

Saying this is not a big deal is denying the power of default.

Thinking its easy for me, so what's the big deal, is being short sighted.

You need to broaden your viewpoint to include a wider audience.
                        Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

I am a firm supporter of the principle that "those who do the work decide".

+1

Whining, with no accompanying offer to pitch in and help do the work, is just obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            Whining, with no accompanying offer to pitch in and help do the work, is just obnoxious.
                            They are especially obnoxious when they start DEMANDING to have their way. That's when I get the urge to make a port call.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              I have participated in the last three ubuntu testing releases, and for some reason this one, Lucid, has brought out more whining than in the past. Or at least thats what I'm seeing on the forums.

I wonder if the mods are more tolerant this time or something else.

There's one particular plymouth topic that has an unbelievable mixture of some devs great insight comments right along with some bizarre trolling and whining. There's a wreath of good info, but you have to endure the nonsense.
                              Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                              X