Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A MUST read by Lawrence Lessis, remember him?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A MUST read by Lawrence Lessis, remember him?

He wrote an insightful article here.
    The American financial system walked the American World's economy off a cliff.
    The first is that things are actually much worse than anyone ever talks about. The pivot points of our financial system -- the infrastructure that lets free markets produce real wealth -- have become profoundly corrupted. Balance sheets are "fictions," as Professor Frank Partnoy put it. Trillions of dollars in liability hide behind these fictions. And as expert after expert demonstrated, practically every one of the design flaws that led to the collapse of the past few years remains essentially unchanged within our financial system still. That bubble burst, but we can already see the soaring profits of the same firms that sucked billions in taxpayer funds. The cycle has started again.
    Politicians are addicts. Their dependency is campaign cash. And in their obsessive search for campaign funds, they let these funders convince them that for the first time in capitalism's history, markets didn't need the basic array of trust-producing regulation. They believed this insanity because it made it easier for them -- in good faith -- to accept the money and steer financial policy over the cliff.

Not a single presentation the whole morning focused this part of the problem. There wasn't even speculation about how we could build an alternative to this campaign funding system of pathological dependency, so that policy makers could afford to hear sense rather than obsessively seek campaign dollars. The assembled experts were even willing to brainstorm about how to educate ordinary Americans about the intricacies of financial regulation. But the idea of changing the pathological economy of influence that governs how Washington governs wasn't even a hint.
    Throughout the morning, expert after expert celebrated the brilliance in Franklin Roosevelt's response to the Nation's last truly great financial collapse. They yearned for a modern version of his system of regulation. But we won't get to Franklin Roosevelt's brilliance till we accept Teddy Roosevelt's insight -- that privately funded public elections tend inevitably towards this kind of corruption. And until we solve that (eminently solvable) problem, we won't make any progress in making America's finances safe again.

FixCongressFirst. Only then will sensible policy be possible.
    An Open Source lawyer with some "Open Congress" ideas.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: A MUST read by Lawrence Lessis, remember him?

I've been a believer in (US) campaign reform for a long time. I'm also a believer in establishing term limits on Congress. I also believe that Congress should receive no retirement - none - nor should they receive 'special' health care as they do now.

Congress is supposed to be our representatives, and as such, they should have to avail themselves of all services that we, the electorate, have to deal with. Congress should establish no law that they 'quietly' exempt themselves from, while imposing it on their electorate.

I truly hope that the American public hasn't slipped so far into apathy, that they can't/won't still 'wake up' and realize what our Government is doing, and exercise their Constitutional right, go to the polls in massive numbers, and throw the bastards out. This would be the 'second' revolution that I believe has been overdue for some time now.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: A MUST read by Lawrence Lessis, remember him?

I think people--the average middle-class citizen--are just about ready now to storm the damned castle.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X