Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for a small laptop / large netbook?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any recommendations for a small laptop / large netbook?

Hi

I need to buy somewhat of a large netbook for my lady for work, mostly text editing with Open Office, eventually Skype for video conferencing. I wonder if any of my friends here has any thoughts. The minimum requirements are:
    • Full keyboard
    • Midsize Screen, between 12 and 14 inches, 13 would be ideal
    • As light as possible
    • HD Video (as in Hulu in HD) is not a must, but definitely a plus
    • Good webcam (I guess > 1Mp) for professional videoconferencing
    • Inexpensive, I am thinking around USD400 if possible
    • Linux pre-installed, *buntu if possible, no OS otherwise. No way I will engross the list of people "choosing Windows" because they have no choice, and installing something else, but mostly I want to vote with my wallet and buy *buntu.

What I don't need:
    • Serious Gaming
    • Too much space (an SSD is acutally preferred but not required, 16gb would be enough)
    • Huge battery life, though a few hours (>3) would be much preferrable
    • Fancy crap
    • Optical drive (it wouldn't hurt, but I'd rather get something light and portable)

So far, this is my candidate (Dell Vostro 13)
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/n...13&cs=04&s=bsd

I am US based, and here they sell it with Ubuntu:
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/n...ro-v13-anav1~~

In fact, they sell a bunch with Linux or no OS:
    http://www.dell.com/business/laptops...0770~0~1791343

All in all, I am very happy with the Dell Vostro I already have (9 incher) with Ubuntu preinstalled, so the Vostro V13 has a head start, but I'd love to hear some ideas.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Any recommendations for a small laptop / large netbook?

I'm impressed, that you can get one with Ubuntu or Linux. Great.

I've got a 14" screen with optical drive, but when looking I noticed that there are 15" models cheaper and 13" models more expensive (especially with the optical drive), but the 13" with SSD and no optical drive would be better.

If battery life matters, maybe not in the U.S., the smaller screen consumes less power.

Ask the guys selling the Dell with Ubuntu do they have Kubuntu too.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Re: Any recommendations for a small laptop / large netbook?

Yes, it is pretty significant. Actually, many of the HP also come with Linux (not Ubuntu though)

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise...0-0-0-121.html

This is incredible, really unheard of a few years back. On the Dell page, you can select OS for each product type, so you can filter it to show products with no OS or some sort of Linux (many times Ubuntu)

Yes, I 'd like ask about kubuntu just for the kicks, but I think I'll buy online so I'll be not talking to anyone.

As for the laptop, I spent this week doing Research and the V13 seems unbeatable for what I need. And I agree, smaller monitor means less dissipation. The CULV processor is really efficient and a lot better than the Atoms (about 50% faster according to a benchmark I read), and the IGP (GMA X4500MHD) is a lot better than the standard GMA 950 typical of netbooks. So this should perform a lot better than my Dell A90, which I love.

Besides all that, Intel has Open Source drivers, and they are pretty good. Another big plus.NVIDIA Ion is very good but NVIDIA boycott Open Source development (they don;t even give the specs for the open source developers to work on).

At this point I am just hoping for a coupon for the V13, to bring it down a bit, or for the Outlet to have them (refurbs are still excellent and a great value). But I pretty much made up my mind.

I am posting all this in case it helps other people in the market for something similar.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X