X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you guys nicer than Ubuntu's forum?

Look at this nutty thing

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1661/83165181.png

They say I was talking to much about Compiz, lol I couldn't believe it, then they said I couldn't make comments about a song being religious when the darn thing is called "Hallelujah." So am I going to get banned here for having a personality? PCLinuxOS looks good but I want to try Kubuntu now because of these KWin updates they've made, it's very interesting.

PS I think I'll try out Fedora with KDE first, the openGL support is supposedly better than Ubuntu and my system is only an Eeebox B202.

Re: Are you guys nicer than Ubuntu's forum?

Welcome to KFN. IMO, yes, we are nicer than the Ubuntuforum group. We are 'smaller' and tend to be able to be more attentive to posts. Which ever flavor of KDE Linux you decide to go with, even if it turns out not to be Kubuntu, won't put you in 'bad favor' with us.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

MUCH nicer (apart from the author of this post )

afaik this forum is quite heavily USA-centric so there are comments which us Europeans find a little funny in terms of personal freedom and religious beliefs but I don't doubt for one second that it is the case the other way round also.

Anyway, I am sure that you will find your stay here an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

This is by far the most friendly tech forum I've ever been to. And we make an effort to keep it like this, kind of like a big family

Comment

Well ok :S I ended up going back to Ubuntu because I could get Fedora to work with Ralink 2860 wireless even though I found instructions which did nothing Xubuntu was a failure too because it wouldn't mount USB hard drives even though terminal showed them! I even installed the mounter tray icon and it just didn't show the drives. Obviously XCFE has mounting issues with USB drives. oh well..... I didn't try Kubuntu cuz Fedora ran kinda poorly and was KDE so I figured eh

Maybe I'll try it some other time, so I'll still hang here these forums don't sound as bad.

Comment

Rog131 is very nice. The rest of us are varying degrees of idiots ...

I'm semi-surprised at your "Xfce won't mount USB drives" comment -- really? Do you mean "mount via a GUI utility"? I know Gnome has a "mounter" GUI thing. KDE has "device notifier" which works pretty flawlessly on my systems, although once in awhile we see posts from someone having problems with it.

Oh well -- you're welcome to post your questions and observations here -- no one has been shot anytime lately.

Comment

It must be OK here, because I don't even have Kubuntu installed and I stil hang out here.

Comment

As a semi-leftist person of Faith who detests Microsoft's ethics in ways I cannot express, and who loves KDE4 all most as much as .... well never mind... Welcome to this forum!

BTW, Fedora is nice, but Kubuntu Lucid Lynx is nicer! Give it a go!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks I don't anticipate any problems with using Ubuntu 10.04 which i've installed, it seems fine. I usually don't go digging around in Linux I just like using it. I don't like Gnome but I don't love KDE either, I'd prefer something inbetween like XFCE but it just wasn't working with USB mounting. Funny that it recognized my keyboard and mouse though lol

Like I'd plug in a USB device, then nothing. I checked the window manager and it did have automount turned on, for awhile I thought it wasn't being detected but since the USB keyboard and mouse worked I knew it was, I checked terminal, then sure enough it showed the USB drive lol Oh well... sometimes it did mount but then I'd have it do double mounting :\

I don't think I'll use Gnome3 it seems pretty lame to me. I'll goto Kubuntu by then probably or just keep this thing the way I have it.

I wasn't so unpopular either at Ubuntu Forums I posted a Coffee vs Tea thread that did really well 120 votes so far :P they are just nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by litemirrors
                    Well ok :S I ended up going back to Ubuntu because I could get Fedora to work with Ralink 2860 wireless even though I found instructions which did nothing Xubuntu was a failure too because it wouldn't mount USB hard drives even though terminal showed them! I even installed the mounter tray icon and it just didn't show the drives. Obviously XCFE has mounting issues with USB drives. oh well..... I didn't try Kubuntu cuz Fedora ran kinda poorly and was KDE so I figured eh

Maybe I'll try it some other time, so I'll still hang here these forums don't sound as bad.
                    Been using Xubuntu for awhile got 10.04 running right now on the other end of this drive. Did you look for your drive in the File Manager of choice? They all work in Xfce and that's where I access mine, you can even right click the drive and safely remove or dismount it.
                    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Welcome! Yes friendlier. We have our moments but we all have a round of beer and feel MUCH better! Seriously, welcome. It doesn't matter to me what OS you choose to run. If you can help others here then that is great. Truthfully, even though it is said to be "USA-centric" I find it nice that this forum does have a world wide appeal. How else would we learn if we didn't know other views.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                        How else would we learn if we didn't know other views.
                        There are other views?! Really?

Comment

I think so! No, wait, I think mine are the only ones!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                            I think so! No, wait, I think mine are the only ones!
                            Well, that simply can't be tolerated. Off with his head I say. Off with his head!" (Wait, am I not in Wonderland? )

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

Well, that simply can't be tolerated. Off with his head I say. Off with his head!" (Wait, am I not in Wonderland? )
                              While I find this amusing it's exactly how Ubuntu Forums were, it was pretty crazy. I mean just look at the warnings in the picture lol

Comment

Working...
                              X