X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Matt Asay new COO for Canonical

Originally posted by lmilano
    @dibl: I agree. Most of the options to Kubuntu I see are niche systems with a small user base, and a small dev team. I'd rather run Debian if Kubuntu went down.
    Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Two thoughts:

(a) I would NOT want the job of turning Canonical profitable in 6 years, much less 3. You've got a customer base totally trained to expect "free as in beer" -- at least the individual users. They're not gonna pay for anything.
      So true. But in order to fund things, revenue needs to be generated somehow. I think many methods should be investigated, but there will be severe complaints no matter what. Ubuntu don't have the financial backing that Fedora and Suse have if and when Shuttleworth's money dries up.

(b) Regarding Mono/.NET/Kubuntu abandonment, KDE4 is running beautifully on Debian, and has been since it came out. I won't be a slave to Canonical's fortunes!
      [/quote]

And this is why the F/OSS world in the end won't be overly affected by any Mono issues, true or FUD - choices

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
        Originally posted by dibl
        Two thoughts:

(a) I would NOT want the job of turning Canonical profitable in 6 years, much less 3. You've got a customer base totally trained to expect "free as in beer" -- at least the individual users. They're not gonna pay for anything.
        So true. But in order to fund things, revenue needs to be generated somehow.
        Folks, I would have to repeat myself from my post above in this thread, but in a nutshell, even though the individual users won't pay directly for Free(dom) Software, they may pay indirectly when buying a netbook with Linux preinstalled (not for the software, but for the customization contract with Canonical), or indirectly when their company deploys desktops under contract with Ubuntu (for customization, support, etc).

Comment

Working...
        X