• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb device opening directly with file manager

i just upgraded using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    i plugged in my usb drive hdd.. and on right hand side corner window popped in showing my usb drive.
    i clicked on it as usual.. but instead of showing me box.. asking for the next step:
    Do Nothing
    Open in file manager
    etc. etc.

it directly opened up the file manager..
    this is really needed functionality in kubuntu.. but it made me think.. is it not similar to the windows where OS by itself decides what to do when usb in plugged in..
    will this not be vulnerable to viruses.. (i know linux does not have any viruses but still.. automatically starting up the app..)
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Re: usb device opening directly with file manager

I don't agree that Windows offers a consistent menu of choices, regarding USB plugged devices. Depending on which Windows machine I use, and what kind of device I plug in, there are a variety of responses and choices, and not all of them are appropriate to the device (I don't play music on my camera memory card ...). So I wouldn't use Windows as a benchmark for what should happen.

I would advise you to do a few more experiments, with different USB devices, before you decide what the observed behavior really is. It is very easy to inadvertently give a "double-click" and launch an unintended menu selection -- happens to me all the time. But, when I plug in a storage device, then Dolphin is exactly what I'm looking for, so I would view your first observation as "correct" behavior.

Comment

Re: usb device opening directly with file manager

yeah.. i inserted SDcard containing all the photos..
      and again clicking on SDcard icon.. it opened dolphin.. seems it opens file manager directly.
      and i find this improvement good less painful
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Working...
      X