X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to a DE that works... :-/

Howdy All,

This is my last thread here until we see some major improvement in KDE (I'll check back when 10.04 rolls around next year). I'd just like to say I really like the look/feel of KDE in general - I think it is much better than Gnome. However, in Gnome things work. I know this is a little harsh - and I know that everything has its own issues here and there - but I've had FAR too many issues with KDE that just aren't existent in Gnome.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the fact that I just got a new smart phone with a data plan - on my netbook running Gnome the Gnome network manager auto detected and configured it for me - on KDE it did no such thing and manually setting it up as been less than successful and a giant pain in my ass.

Peace All,
    ~Jeff
    Games I Play on Ubuntu - Linux Gaming Optimizations

Re: Going back to a DE that works... :-/

Opinions obviously differ. If you prefer Gnome, you are welcome to use it. The user interfaces of Gnome and KDE are a little bit different, and which you prefer is a matter of taste.

I suspect that, if your system runs well in Ubuntu, it would also run well in Kubuntu. Among other things, you can run your favorite Gnome apps in KDE, and vice-versa.

Comment

you are aware that you can use the gnome network manager in kde right?.btw pppd works great for connecting your phone as a modem , i do it all the time w/ my blackjack II.

oh if you don't want to re-install you can just install the ubuntu-desktop or gnome-desktop package (ubuntu-desktop has the ubuntu extra goods..) from the package manager. then you can use both gnome and kde by changing sessions before log in
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well my favorite Gnome application (Gnome Do) was less than friendly running under KDE and my the gnome networkmanager promptly crashed out on me when I tried to load it up.

For the time being I have simply manually removed all the KDE packages and installed the ubuntu-desktop package - I feel running two different desktop environments on the same computer is like dual booting with Windows - why keep the other one around if I'm not going to really be using it?

As I said I'll have to check back as KDE progresses some more (when 3.x was the latest version KDE was all I used) however with the 4.x release it has been headache after headache for me.

Cheers,
        ~Jeff
        Games I Play on Ubuntu - Linux Gaming Optimizations

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff91
          Well my favorite Gnome application (Gnome Do) was less than friendly running under KDE and my the gnome networkmanager promptly crashed out on me when I tried to load it up.

For the time being I have simply manually removed all the KDE packages and installed the ubuntu-desktop package - I feel running two different desktop environments on the same computer is like dual booting with Windows - why keep the other one around if I'm not going to really be using it?

As I said I'll have to check back as KDE progresses some more (when 3.x was the latest version KDE was all I used) however with the 4.x release it has been headache after headache for me.

Cheers,
          ~Jeff
          I have run Gnome and KDE into the ground, now working with XFCE. When you look for programs you like to work with you find out not only do they all have interactions with Ubuntu but Kubuntu too. Everything is based on something, in this case Ubuntu gives rise to Kubuntu and Xubuntu. Don't burn your bridges or sell yourself short. You might have saved a little space on your HD but you are only hurting yourself.
          Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Give it a chance and don't be discouraged! I have had like 10,000 with Kubuntu but i refuse to go back to GNOME. After much headaches it is well worth it to stay with 4.4

Comment

Working...
            X