This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ailurus: Installer for applications outside apt repository

Dear all, I would like to introduce an open source application.

"Ailurus" is powerful. It helps you install Eclipse, Netbeans and many other applications which are not in apt repository. It contains some third party launchpad repositories. It is worthy to use "Ailurus"

Download from http://code.google.com/p/ailurus/downloads/list

Re: Ailurus: Installer for applications outside apt repository

In case you're wondering, Ailurus appears to be Gnome app, which "automagically" installs a bunch of other, more or less useful, mostly proprietary, Gnome applications, while making assumptions about your hardware and software. Previous attempts to do this, e.g. Automatix, worked for some people and caused serious problems for others. It all depends on how well your system resembles the assumed system, and how many of the added applications you want.

If memory serves, (which it sometimes doesn't at my age ), it was the widespread trouble that Automatix was causing that induced the Ubuntu devs to introduce "restricted" packages and the medibuntu repositories. However, in no way, does that imply that Ailurus will break anyone's system. There may be further information on the Ubuntu Forums. I haven't checked.

I'd suspect that this is not a good application for a Kubuntu user, but I haven't tried it.

Comment

There's a comment posted today, saying that Ailurus was 'tried' and messed up the sources.list, and was referred to as being in the manner of Automatix.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        There's a comment posted today, saying that Ailurus was 'tried' and messed up the sources.list, and was referred to as being in the manner of Automatix.
        i thought those Automatix days were over.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Some 'developers' never learn.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X