• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu second best KDE Distro

According to this article:
    http://tuxradar.com/content/get-best-kde-linux-distro

The only drawback:
    Our only real disappointment is that the default blue of the standard desktop is quite a contrast to the highly customised and themed version of Gnome that Ubuntu is famous for, and KDE could really do with getting a share of the attention. Admittedly, you can change something like the backdrop yourself with just a few clicks, but it would be nice to see a professional team of designers tackle KDE's widget and window themeing engines.
    So lets get some pro designers.

What do you think?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Kubuntu second best KDE Distro

Admittedly, you can change something like the backdrop yourself with just a few clicks,
    I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't do those few clicks! Besides doesn't everybody have their own tastes? Perhaps not. As for me, my Kubuntu desktop is just one solid colour (about PG17) with nothing on it - no system tray, no panel, no nothing - except a few file icons from time to time.

Comment

I do think the default setting is really bland, given what kde can do the first impression could be spectacular but just isn't. I guess they aimed for inoffensive and succeeded.
      How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

And I'll give odds that as soon as the KDE4 dev crew does come out with that super nifty background screen someone else will write another blog about how it's too pompous or adds to bloat. You can't win this arguments because they always move the goal posts.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well I agree with TuxRadar. Although everybody has their own tastes, it would be nice if the Kubuntu Team made their own theme. That way Kubuntu can get a look of it's own. That would be great
          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Since Kubuntu shares repositories, and now the Ubuntu team makes sure package structures are consistent, it is easier to use Gnome packages within Kubuntu.

This makes Kubuntu able to share a lot of things with Ubuntu, which gives it an advantage over OpenSuse in the long run. The tuxradar review didn't take that into account, so I have to disagree with it.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

This article might help you to decide what is the best linux distro for you

EDIT: Fixed link - GreyGeek

Comment

Daniel

Why have you added this to an original post dated December 2009?

You should have started a new post, not added to an old one.

Your link does not work. Check it and see.
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Oh give me a BREAK PLEEEEEZZZZEEEE LOUIEZEEEEEEEE!!!!

THE WALLPAPER!!!!!!?

THE THEME!!!?? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

OK I HEREBY ANNOUNCE....that I will donate fifty bucks to an artist's cause celebe' and if a bunch of artists wish to RISK...............

THE OBVIOUS CALUMNY AND SCORN...........of hundreds of Kubuntu people....who would VOTE...for a BEST WALLPAPER.....

OH MY GAWD..............somebody might be BETTER THAN SOMEBODY ELSE.....

FLUFF THE PARACHUTE............. let us dance a ring dance....

BUT NOT A MAY POLE--------POLITICALLY INCORRECT.....

NO MAY POLE DANCES AT KUBUNTU......or in LINUX .......only politically correct dances....

If a BUNCH of arteeests............who think MORE OF LINUX....than their little fopswaddle of a distro...

to submit...........their BEST WORK............for the Kubuntu community to JUDGE THEM.....

Then I will donate fifty usd to a charity of their choice...and if anybody else has the moxie to put their MONEY WHERE THEIR MOUTH IS....pony up and say you will donate....

BECAUSE....if all it takes is a ...............

WALLPAPER.....

then so be it.... Kubuntu folks can support a world wide charity..........and have the best wallpaper in LINUXDOME...

hmmmm astrodome..... what was that Schwazgneegger movie.... and I do NOT have a bald pate...(dome)...anyway...

The WALLPAPER!!!?

what about HAL?

woodsmoke

Comment

Come on, Woodsmoke, don't hold back ... tell us what you really think!!!
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm sorry, but that is one of the reasons why I have generally steered away from being a regular columnist about Linux.

I wrote two columns about "local flowers" in two different newspapers for several years and after a while one just runs out of interesting (to most people) things to say ...

And in like manner for Linux or anything else...I've been asked to be a regular contributor to two different Linux things and after careful consideration came to the conclusion that eventually I would be so hard pressed to find something to write about that people would say...why?

so...

It is a hard thing to do, but still.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                        after a while one just runs out of interesting (to most people) things to say ...
                        So, they either quit, start recycling some old material for the newer readers or, like some Linux bloggers, create sensational headlines to generate page hits.

Comment

woodbeenrecycledforalongtimesmoke

Comment

Working...
                          X