This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNOME dropping out of the GNU?

Postings to the GNOME mail list have been the source of news stories around the web regarding the recommendation of Peter Van Hoof, seconded by David "Lefty" Schlesinger, for GNOME to leave the GNU. In order to put it to a vote they need [edited] 10%, or 36 votes, of the 357 member GNOME Foundation membership list. I can see Van Hoof's name in the membership list but "Lefty"'s is absent, as of 12/14/2009. In the entire thread those two are the only ones I can see that are talking about it. But, if they put up a petition page 10% of the members sign then a vote will take place.

Apparently, the thread is a continuation of the arguing that began back in November

when Lucas Roche informed members that the GNOME Foundation Board had received complaints from community members about some of the posts on Planet GNOME.
    RMS weighed in to suggest that a GNU project should not be promoting proprietary software. That gave opportunity for some to dredge up and rehash old, unrelated complaints in yet another attempt to marginalize RMS and the GNU.

It makes INTERESTING READING!

EDIT: I moved a section of a post I made to another thread to this, more relevant thread:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Related to the MONO issue is a new concern, just arising. I read that certain UB members are calling for the removal of GNOME from the GNU. The GTK and Glib are also in the GNU. While de Icaza orginally created GNOME many developers have contributed parts to it and one can often see questions in the developers list asking about who owns (originally developed and released to the GPL) this button or that feature. The GNOME project states:

GNOME is Free Software and part of the GNU project, dedicated to giving users and developers the ultimate level of control over their desktops, their software, and their data. Find out more about the GNU project and Free Software at gnu.org.
    and the GNU states:

GPL-covered software

The GNU GPL (General Public License) is one specific set of distribution terms for copylefting a program. The GNU Project uses it as the distribution terms for most GNU software.
    and it explains what having a program in the GNU means:

In the GNU project, our aim is to give all users the freedom to redistribute and change GNU software. If middlemen could strip off the freedom, we might have many users, but those users would not have freedom. So instead of putting GNU software in the public domain, we “copyleft” it. Copyleft says that anyone who redistributes the software, with or without changes, must pass along the freedom to further copy and change it. Copyleft guarantees that every user has freedom.

Copyleft also provides an incentive for other programmers to add to free software. Important free programs such as the GNU C++ compiler exist only because of this.
    To copyleft a program, we first state that it is copyrighted; then we add distribution terms, which are a legal instrument that gives everyone the rights to use, modify, and redistribute the program's code, or any program derived from it, but only if the distribution terms are unchanged. Thus, the code and the freedoms become legally inseparable.

Proprietary software developers use copyright to take away the users' freedom; we use copyright to guarantee their freedom. That's why we reverse the name, changing “copyright” into “copyleft.”

Copyleft is a way of using of the copyright on the program. It doesn't mean abandoning the copyright; in fact, doing so would make copyleft impossible. The “left” in “copyleft” is not a reference to the verb “to leave”—only to the direction which is the inverse of “right”.

Copyleft is a general concept, and you can't use a general concept directly; you can only use a specific implementation of the concept. In the GNU Project, the specific distribution terms that we use for most software are contained in the GNU General Public License (available in HTML, text, and Texinfo format). The GNU General Public License is often called the GNU GPL for short. There is also a Frequently Asked Questions page about the GNU GPL. You can also read about why the FSF gets copyright assignments from contributors.
    That last sentence states that the FSF holds the copyright assignments from the contributors of GNU (GPL) projects.

Why the FSF gets copyright assignments from contributors

by Professor Eben Moglen, Columbia University Law School

Under US copyright law, which is the law under which most free software programs have historically been first published, there are very substantial procedural advantages to registration of copyright. And despite the broad right of distribution conveyed by the GPL, enforcement of copyright is generally not possible for distributors: only the copyright holder or someone having assignment of the copyright can enforce the license. If there are multiple authors of a copyrighted work, successful enforcement depends on having the cooperation of all authors.

In order to make sure that all of our copyrights can meet the recordkeeping and other requirements of registration, and in order to be able to enforce the GPL most effectively, FSF requires that each author of code incorporated in FSF projects provide a copyright assignment, and, where appropriate, a disclaimer of any work-for-hire ownership claims by the programmer's employer. That way we can be sure that all the code in FSF projects is free code, whose freedom we can most effectively protect, and therefore on which other developers can completely rely.
    I don't know what influence developers of the various parts of GNOME who assigned copyrights to the FSF would have in getting all of those parts out of the GNU, or in keeping them IN the GNU. But, for what ever parts of GNOME than the GNOME foundation can vote to remove from the GNU one has to ask "Why would they do that?"

To ask to remove GNOME from the GNU is equal to asking that it be removed from under the GPL.

If that happens I believe it would spell the end to GNOME. No other license is as good for the user as the GPL, which is why proprietary software houses try to drown it in a flood of pseudo-open licenses at the OSI, designed to confuse people and detract from the GPL, for the same reason their acolytes attack the GNU and RMS. Without the GPL Linux WOULD NOT EXIST TODAY. Fortunately, there is an API and desktop which is completely GPL and will always be so.... Qt4 and the KDE desktop.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: GNOME dropping out of the GNU?

To ask to remove GNOME from the GNU is equal to asking that it be removed from under the GPL.
    Why? This doesn't sound very logical, GNU is a project, GPL is a license, there are many things that use GPL and are not part of GNU, why removing something from GNU would mean removing GPL?

Comment

It looks like the controversy is over. The individual who asked for a vote to remove GNOME from the GNU has recinded his request:

Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership

* To: Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>
      * Cc: foundation-list gnome org
      * Subject: Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership
      * Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:26:26 +0100
      I am 6 hours out of zulu. It is currently 17:48 GMT here. The msg was posted less than 30 minutes ago.

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 22:34 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
      > Le vendredi 11 décembre 2009, à 17:20 +0100, Philip Van Hoof a écrit :
      > > I propose to have a vote on GNOME's membership to the GNU project.
      >
      > So, as far as I can tell, nobody is collecting a list of members who
      > support such a vote proposal. I still wanted to reply there.

I'm not planning to collect these members because I fear that doing so
      at this time might hurt GNOME as a community.

I wont stop other people from doing so, and I'll support the vote too.

My personal point of view towards the illegitimacy of proprietary
      software (I think mine is clear, by now) has no higher priority than the
      community of GNOME as a whole.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian
        Why? This doesn't sound very logical, GNU is a project, GPL is a license, there are many things that use GPL and are not part of GNU, why removing something from GNU would mean removing GPL?
        You're right. A programmer can put his software his software under the GPL without putting it under the GNU. You don't even have to assign the copyrights to the FSF, but if you do the then the FSF will handle violations. But, for a program to be put under the GNU project it has to meet certain requirements:

Making a program GNU software means that its developers and the GNU project agree that “This program is part of the GNU project, released under the aegis of GNU”—and say so in the program.
        This means that the official site for the program should be on www.gnu.org,
        It means that the developers agree to pay attention to making the program work well with the rest of the GNU system
        Another important GNU standard is that GNU programs should come with documentation in Texinfo format.
        If a GNU program wants to be extensible, it should use GUILE as the programming language for extensibility
        A GNU program should use the latest version of the license that the GNU Project recommends—not just any free software license. For most packages, this means using the GNU GPL.
        A GNU program should not recommend use of any non-free program, and it should not refer the user to any non-free documentation for free software.
        For a program to be GNU software does not require transferring copyright to the FSF; that is a separate question. If you transfer the copyright to the FSF, the FSF will enforce the GPL for the program if someone violates it; if you keep the copyright, enforcement will be up to you.
        As the GNU maintainer of the package, please make sure to stay in touch with the GNU Project.
        Finally, if you decide to step down as maintainer at any time, please inform us.
        I made the equation that removing GNOME from the GNU is equal to removing it from the GPL because "A GNU program should not recommend use of any non-free program, .....". Doing so violates the stipulations for being in the GNU project. To remove it because the GNOME Foundation is recommending, associating or integrating GNOME with proprietary software suggests that the GPL wouldn't fit in that climate, and perhaps not even the LGPL. Leaving the GNU project must be the first step in removing GNOME from the GPL and putting it under another license. MPL anyone?

de Icaza/Novell/Microsoft have the most influence on GNOME & MONO, and de Icaza recently drooled over Microsoft's recent announcement at the PDC of changes in SliverLight 4's capabilities allowing it to create desktop apps and communicate with the FS, network, display, etc... How de Icaza plans to get around Microsoft's COM technology so that MoonLight "4" implements it, if legally possible, remains to be seen.

Comment

Large chunk cut out
          Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I made the equation that removing GNOME from the GNU is equal to removing it from the GPL because "A GNU program should not recommend use of any non-free program, .....". Doing so violates the stipulations for being in the GNU project. To remove it because the GNOME Foundation is recommending, associating or integrating GNOME with proprietary software suggests that the GPL wouldn't fit in that climate, and perhaps not even the LGPL. Leaving the GNU project must be the first step in removing GNOME from the GPL and putting it under another license. MPL anyone?

de Icaza/Novell/Microsoft have the most influence on GNOME & MONO, and de Icaza recently drooled over Microsoft's recent announcement at the PDC of changes in SliverLight 4's capabilities allowing it to create desktop apps and communicate with the FS, network, display, etc... How de Icaza plans to get around Microsoft's COM technology so that MoonLight "4" implements it, if legally possible, remains to be seen.
          This is where it gets complicated. There's several things happening in the open, and there's several things I think are happening in the shadows.

1) Lefty told me that without the ability to install Linux, there wouldn't be inexpensive phones available in the third world, when we were having an argument about whether Linux should move to GPL V3. He said that GPL V3 would kill the Linux phone market, and didn't I care about all those poor people? My response was that I'd prefer to see Linux under GPL V3, and if it could no longer be used in the phone market, no big deal, use BSD like Apple did. He didn't like this idea

2) For this part, well, just say I have friends in low places who tell me things. De Icaza is a two edged sword. Microsoft is aware of this. Quite well aware. In fact, they are scared of him. What he has managed to accomplish with a small team, would have required a thousand 'Softies, and they probably wouldn't have managed a single release thus far. De Icaza has Mono working on Windows, Linux, the IPhone, and desktop OSX. He could add Solaris, Aix, HP-UX, Unixware, and BSD versions quite easily. It's good for Microsoft to have someone of his caliber helping spread .NET programming practices. It's not good having to rely on someone who is that good. What if De Icaza decided to start a new project that was capable of hurting Microsoft? How would they stop him, and could they stop him? Believe me. These guys are scared witless of him.

3) This part here is shear speculation. Someone proposed removing the 'GNU Network Object Model Environment' from GNU. Claims have been made that most of the Gnome people would prefer this based on Lefty's poll. But Lefty's poll was open. I voted, and I'm not a member of the Gnome team. Other arguments have been made that are 'Open Source' in origin. It almost seems like someone wants to re-license the project using something like the Apache license, which would imply that there's money involved.

What does it all mean? It means that people are being people. Unfortunately.

The Mad Hatter
          http://crankyoldnutcase.blogspot.com/

Comment

VERY interesting comments, MadHatter! Thanks!

Is Lefty saying that most inexpensive phones (I assume we're talking about cellphones) are running Linux as their mobile OS? Sounds like it. But, I am wondering how the GPL v2 would help anyone to start their own cellphone OS business? To pirates v2 or v3 makes little difference.

I've always recognized that de Icaza is EXTREMELY intelligent and that programming comes to him like breathing.

I hadn't heard that Microsoft was "scared witless" of him. I consider his productivity a direct result of cooperation and information transfers between him and Microsoft coders. Even de Icaza is not THAT good without inside help that he can develop MONO, MoonLight and now start drooling about a "MoonLight '4"" that would duplicate SilverLight '4''s coming ability to be a desktop with access to the FS, network, display, etc. To what you wrote I would add that Microsoft is the PRIMARY AND PRINCIPAL beneficiary of de Icaza's efforts to "spread MONO" by actually spreading Microsoft's API on the Linux and Apple desktops. I do not see how that would make them "scared" of him, especially since he's cooperating with Microsoft on their CodePlex Trojan horse.

In reading the dust-up on GNOME mail list I saw the SuveyMonkey polls by Van Hoof and Lefty. Ninty two percent of Van Hoof's pole respondents were not syndicated with PGO but, apparently, pro-proprietary, and that tended to slant his results. Dave Neary responded to Lefty's poll with comments I would have made. His questions were more along the line of "Have you stopped beating your mother?"

Anyway, interesting comments about Microsoft's "fear" of de Icaza.

Comment

Hello,

It seems some troll is lobbying at lkml.org against mono and python and tells people they should move away from C++:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/28/158

And to the outside community:
              * Garbage collection is necessary but insufficient for reliable code.
              We should move away from C/C++ for user-mode code. For new efforts, I
              recommend Mono or Python. Moving to fewer languages and runtimes will
              increase the amount of code sharing and increase the pace of progress.
              There is a large bias against Python in the free software community
              because of performance, but it is overblown because it has multiple
              workarounds. There is a large bias against Mono that is also
              overblown.
              It seems he's an ex-microsoft employer:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/155845.asp

Comment

Your second link seemed more GPL/FOSS favorable than the first, which starts out:
                but there are some pages on how to have Linux succeed faster I thought I would summarize
                here.
                and continues:
                Software incompatibilities will be better solved as soon as the hardware incompatibilities become better solved. The only problem you can’t work around is a hardware problem.
                That's a good point. He goes on:
                Fixing kernel bugs faster will increase the pace of Linux desktop adoption, as each bug is a potential barrier.
                I think bug count goals of some kind would be good.
                I don't know of any FOSS projects, including the kernel or Ubuntu, that don't have bug count features. BUT, bug counts don't define usability. Not every posting claiming to be a bug is a bug.

He then talks about PC OEMs:
                Free software is better for hardware companies because it allow for more money to go into their pocket. Are they waiting for it to hit 10% marketshare first? I was told by an Intel engineer that his company invests 1% of the resources into Linux as it does to Windows. It is only because writing Linux drivers is so much easier that Intel is seen as a quite credible supporter of it. The few laptops by Dell that even ship with Linux still contain proprietary drivers, drivers that aren’t in the kernel, and so forth. ...
                Apparently Keith is not aware that even Ballmer himself states that the Linux desktop market share is 12% or more. He also seems oblivious as to WHY the OEMs do not support Linux any better than they do: they are dependent on Microsoft's ad rebates because the profit margins in PCs are so thin that without the ad rebates the OEMs would be in financial trouble, and they wouldn't get the $10+ per machine they enjoy from Microsoft if they put Linux on instead. So, DELL offers Ubuntu on THREE boxes, and only the third box has any significant peripheral offerings, like web camers, etc. This causes most Linux users to choose the hardware they want from the list of PCs offered with Windows pre-installed. Windows gets the channel count but Linux replaces Windows, so the Linux desktop market share isn't fairly counted. Effectively, all DELL is doing is giving Microsoft the window dressing to claim that it has competition on the OEM desktop market place when, in fact, it does not. This must make Microsoft terrified of Linux because they realize that Linux has achieved 12%+ market share because USERS are replacing Windows with Linux after downloading an ISO, burning it, and installing it themselves. Fortunately for Microsoft, this is a limiting factor in the rise of Linux on the desktop because, IMO, the majority of Windows users in the USA are NOT knowledgeable enough to install Linux OR Windows by themselves and without help, so Linux may not rise above 20%. Other countries ALREADY have Linux desktop market shares of over 25%.

Then he states your quotation, but he is utterly wrong. "Fewer languages and runtimes" cannot be increased by adding C#/MONO to the mix. GNOME is based on C & the GTK+ (at least for now, but for how long who knows?) and KDE4 is based on C++ & Qt4.x. Besides increasing complexity to the development environment, the BIGGEST problem with adding C#/MONO/MoonLight to Linux is the desire of de Icaza (and Microsoft) that its API become the default API on the Linux desktop. Check out my sig below to see what is wrong with that.

* The idea of Google dominating search and strong AI is scarier than Microsoft’s dominance with Windows and Office. It might be true that Microsoft doesn’t get free software, but neither does Google, and Apple and many others. Hadoop is good evidence of this.
                This is definately a pro-MS comment. However, not scarier, but equally as scary. It's a corporate problem. It seems that ANY corporate "GPL vision" goes only so far before they revert back to their DNA of artificial scarcity maintained by restrictive licenses, IP and DRM. Corporations are proving to be as harmful to the software environment as they are to Democracy, in that the "corpus" now has MORE rights than a real, live, breathing person. Such should not be. It puts TOO MUCH power into the hands of corporate owners and managers and destroys representative government because of lobbyists, bribes and political corruption.

* I don’t think IBM would have contributed back all of its enhancements to the kernel if it weren’t also a legal requirement. This is a good argument for GPL over BSD.
                Not pro-MS but definitely anti-IBM. IBM donated $40M worth of Eclipse code to FOSS. They paid for some of the best TV commercials about Linux shown to date. In fact, the only ones. They have already paid millions defending themselves and Linux against a Microsoft surrogate, SCO. Disparaging IBM is to overlook their continuing contributions to Linux and FOSS, but never forget they are corporate, and the accumulation of wealth overrides any commitment to Linux. MS, on the other hand, strives continually to defeat Linux by ANY means, legal or otherwise, which I've documented in other places. MONO isn't something I'd call a valuable contribution to Linux because of ECMA 335 & 335. MONO has to abide by that "standard" and Microsoft, at its discretion, controls and determines what abides and what does not.

* OpenOffice is underfunded. You wonder whether Sun ever thought they could beat Microsoft if they only put 20 developers on it.
                Sun, like Novell, could never make up its mind about Linux. MOST of the time, both were anti-Linux. Sun even helped Microsoft fund the SCO attack against Linux. Novell has entered into an "agreement" with Microsoft in which they "confessed" that Linux contains MS IP and now pay Microsoft a royalty for each copy of SLES that they sell, in exchange for immunity from legal action. They stand to benefit, in the short term, if Microsoft actually sues any Linux companies or distros. But, eventually, their alliance with the "dark side" will destroy them in the end. See the parable of the Frog and the Scorpion.

The comment that "Bill Gates has said some nice things about Linux as well" is referenced only by a joke posting on BBspot, while Ballmer's reference to Linux being a "cancer" is all over the Internet, and Gates called for a "Jihad" against Linux in a 2002 internal MS email, which is attached.

Attached Files

Comment

Is it unrealistic to hope that GNOME will fork? I don't want to see it become Mono-dependant. Instead I'd like to have a 100% Free Software DE based on the GNOME we all know without any of the Mono stuff, even if we have to change the name. de Icaza can take his GNOME and make it Mono-dependant all he wants, and I won't have to worry so much about it.

As GG has already pointed out countless times, KDE4 is best especially in this community. I just don't want to lose all the apps I've grown to love from GNOME.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

If someone wants to fork GIMP and keep a copy of it faithful to the GTK+ there is no way anyone else can stop it. Existing copies still under the GPL exist in the wild.

Comment

@GreyGeek

Thank you very much for such comprehensive response. What I think MS people are aware Windows will loose sooner or later, so they're changing tactics and are concentrating at promoting MS technologies like C#, Silverlight etc. rather then Windows.

@Telengard

There's some project which probably will allow people to port Gtk apps to QT some day:

http://www.thelins.se/johan/2010/01/gtk-made-qt.html

Comment

Originally posted by pawel_sch
                        @GreyGeek
                        What I think MS people are aware Windows will loose sooner or later, so they're changing tactics and are concentrating at promoting MS technologies like C#, Silverlight etc. rather then Windows.
                        I first expressed that idea in a comment on LT a couple years ago, right after the Novell/MS agreement. Microsoft is "working with" (employing?) de Icaza to write .NET applications and de Icaza recently indicated that his goal is using SilverLight is to create an API that talks directly to the hardware via libc6, bypassing standard interface utilities and GPL API's like GTK or Qt. Microsoft has, for all practical purposes, hijacked Ubuntu (and those other distros that have signed agreements with them), with the help of Novell, de Icaza, and Ubuntu Board members which are 3rd party software houses that focus on .NET applications, indicated by the June 29th annnouncement that future Ubuntu desktop remixes will be dependent on MONO.

@Telengard

There's some project which probably will allow people to port Gtk apps to QT some day:

http://www.thelins.se/johan/2010/01/gtk-made-qt.html
                        Interesting. Using QtCreator, Qt4 (and C++) to create a "GTK" API so that apps built with GTK can be rebuilt using the aforementioned tools. Even thought the resulting executable is a Linux ELF binary, I believe it will suffer from speed problems, and bugs related to complexity of meshing two entirely different APIs, to say nothing of the fact that C is not OOP and C++ is. Subclassing QDialog is a LOT easier that C's method of cutting and pasting, which is what Microsoft called "OOP" in VB.

Take GTK's callback function, which is classic C methodology, rather ancient, and doesn't lend itself to the kinds of manipulations that Qt's Signals & Slots does. S&S's are so elegant and easy to use, and connections between signals and slots can be turned on and off at will with a single line of code. It's too much to explain here but the Qt4 documentation on Signals and Slots is worth the effort to read.

Comment

Working...
                        X