This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos on the Kubuntu

Not sure if I'm too late to be giving kudos for 9.04 but I thought I'd say it anyway. Fabulous OS! Really loving it. Even though I've had some grief with it, I'm incredibly happy with it.

Last linux based OS I installed was Debian (well... a HD install of Knoppix) quite a few years ago. Since then I've been forced to use Windows. I loved the KDE desktop so when the time came to add an OS to my new salvage PC, I picked Kubuntu (seeing as Ubuntu seems to be flavour of the month and an old friend Jono Bacon seemed to be involved in Ubuntu's development)

I dual booted with XP. And what took XP 7 hours to install and update took Kubuntu less than 1! It looks fantastic and is simple to use. I can't praise it enough.

Only had a couple of problems
    1) Pulseaudio didn't seem to start at bootup. I'm not even sure it was installed properly. Either way its fixed now
    2) I have a Radeon 9600 pro. Unfortunately it was after I bought it that I found out that there's no 3D support in the open source drivers. The ATI drivers seemed to make the screen freeze. So will have to buy Nvidia card some time in the future
    3) Although I have the option to upgrade to 9.1, it doesn't even get that far. It exits with code 147 (127? I forget). Its not really a biggie, as long as I got an OS that works everything is grand.

I've bought the pen, the lanyard, the stickers, anything I can do to promote *buntu I will Its the best computing experience I've had. Excellent stuff!

Re: Kudos on the Kubuntu

WELCOME to The GROUP 8)

Glad you liked it
    Jesus is Real &= GOD, unless you declare him an Integer.

Comment

Re: Kudos on the Kubuntu

Welcome to KFN. Glad that you find Kubuntu a pleasant experience. Always nice.

Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 is a solid platform. I'm using it myself. As I have a laptop with an Intel Integrated Graphics chip, I can't (yet) upgrade to Karmic Koala. But I'm perfectly happy with Jaunty. It does everything I need, and it 'just works.'
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X