This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool... Go Dell, Go!

Wish I had money at the moment. I'd like to try one of these babies!

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/N...nd-Vostro-V13/

Re: Cool... Go Dell, Go!

I would be VERY cautious abut buying anything from Dell. Their commitment to Linux and *buntu is purely a marketing ploy.

In my (unpleasant) experience, they were almost totally unable to provide any hardware support whatsoever to purchasers of Dell's Ubuntu machines. Their support call center "technicians" are not provided with the information they need to debug problems on machines that are not equipped with windoze. I had to translate their script into appropriate Linux equivalents (and I haven't used windoze in years).

I believe that it would be a serious mistake to encourage them in this phony marketing strategem. Try another manufacturer, and install Linux the old fashioned way.

Comment

Re: Cool... Go Dell, Go!

As I do understand that sentiment, all of the machines I deal with is Dell, so there is a bias there and I will admit that. However, I have yet to have such issues. Actually, I love me Acer laptop and have more issues with it. I also believe there has to be some starting point to help any Linux or any open source project in the market to lessen the over reach of other companies and to me it might as well be Dell (that bias view again ). Anyway, I do understand your point as well, so it will be interesting to see how any of the corporate ploys play out

Comment

Working...
      X