This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes - it's happened again!

Well I only upgraded a few weeks ago to 'Jaunty' but took the plunge today to try out 'Karmic'.

On-line download and install in just under an hour and everything is GREAT.

Well done to the Kubuntu team, another top-ten hit.

Thanks.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Yes - it's happened again!

Consider yourself to be a lucky man and think for a while about those, who were not so lucky with the hardware as you were.
    I upgraded on-line from Jaunty today in less than an hour and everything seemed GREAT, but after restart I stuck with the extreme slow unusable system. After an hour I happily got my Jaunty speed back, but now I understand how some unlucky guys feel.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Everything worked fine here too, but hey I do know how to follow instructions...

Comment

Yesterday I updated KDE from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 on my 64b KK.

Went smooth as silk.

Runs smooth as silk.

Superb job, KDE developers!

Later today I am going to update my two Januty installations to 4.3.3.

EDIT:
        Realized that 4.3.3 isn't out for Jaunty, yet. And, one of my ACERs was Karmic. (I thought I had put Jaunty on both )
        Today I upgraded IT to KDE 4.3.3.
        The results: PERFECT.

1) Add the PPA backport repository to /etc/apt/sources.list
        2) Add the two keys to the gpg keyring
        3) In a Konsole issue "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

Done.
        So easy a caveman could do it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Everything worked fine here too, but hey I do know how to follow instructions...
          I thought the same until five crashes first day of Jaunty due to later well known problem with Intel onboard video. Today with Karmic is my first day with Desktop effects again. Nice job developers!

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
            due to later well known problem with Intel onboard video. Today with Karmic is my first day with Desktop effects again. Nice job developers!
            What Intel GPU do you have? I'm waiting for the Intel driver to 'catch up' with Karmic so I can 'possibly' give it another try.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog@
              My GPU is this:
              Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
              Before you give it another try you should read my post in this topic, as you could face another surprise
              Somewhat Slow

Comment

I wonder what the hell is going on with microsoft... $400 for an operating system (win 7 ultimate) that takes over an hour and a half to install because you HAVE to use a dvd, only to find you have to download another 200 mb of drivers just to make everything work vs. an OS that's free, can be installed from a usb drive in 20 minutes, and everything works perfectly right away? Wish I had tried ubuntu a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by madtownidiot
                  I wonder what the hell is going on with microsoft... $400 for an operating system ....
                  They call it "maximizing shareholder's earnings. In Microsoft's case that can even include moral, ethical and legal violations when necessary.

They can charge that much, which is even MORE than the cost of a new netbook computer, BECAUSE they still CONTROL the OEMs. Specifically, they dictate to the OEMs how they can offer Linux, and on what hardware. DELL, HP, SONY, TOSHIBA, etc.., are all wholly pwned subsidiaries of Microsoft.

The REAL question is WHY does the FTC feels it necessary to investigate a competitor to Microsoft (Google) BUT HAS, over the last 10 YEARS, turned a blind eye to Microsoft's business practices. The answer is obvious: Congress has been bribed (a.k.a "campaign contributions") and they oversee and control the FTC. BOTH political parties are guilty of accepting those bribes. I read a couple days ago that there are now 13,842 lobbyists registered in Washington DC, and they spent 2.5 Billion this year thwarting the votes of the REAL citizens so that UNREAL citizens, a.k.a. corporations, have more rights than flesh and blood tax payers.

Microsoft can do what they do because we cannot find enough people to run for Office and cause ALL the laws to be enforced equitably. They say one thing to get elected and then do what is necessary to continue to get elected so they can live the "good life" for the rest of their lives, the country be damned.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Originally posted by josefko
                    due to later well known problem with Intel onboard video. Today with Karmic is my first day with Desktop effects again. Nice job developers!
                    What Intel GPU do you have? I'm waiting for the Intel driver to 'catch up' with Karmic so I can 'possibly' give it another try.
                    Even though I have mine somewhat working there are still issues. One is the Log Out screen goes completely black instead of fading the desktop. With Compositing Off it works. With Compositing on and the Log Out effect disabled it gives the complete Desktop without being faded. I can only assume it is a Driver issue. >

Comment

Working...
                    X