This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matthias Ettrich Receives German Federal Cross of Merit

KDE was started in 1996. It's nice to see that the German Government recognizes contributions to free software. Check out this article at KDE dot org: http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/06/matthi...al-cross-merit

Re: Matthias Ettrich Receives German Federal Cross of Merit

AWESOME!

Well deserved!

IMO, Linus and Matthias are the two greatest names in FOSS.

It is also interesting to see a link to his original post asking for programmers to help. In that post he refers to a "Kool Desktop Environment", now abbreviated KDE. I've seen lots of arugments about what the letters "KDE" mean. This apparently settles that.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, going back to 1996. (versus CDE = Common Desktop Environment). Now the K doesn't mean anything. But it is the source for why we have K's everywhere now, KMail, KOffice, etc.

Another is K3b. The developer Sebastien Trueg wanted to call it "Burn, baby, burn," but there was already a CD burner by that name, so instead he used the "K" and called it K3b.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ya, I read that about K3b when I wondered why he wasn't calling the KDE4 version K4b.

I'd still name it K4b and say it meant K - Burn, Baby, Burn, Burn...
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X