X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.10 vs Ubuntu 9.10

Hi, everyone!
    I would like to ask to you a question: The newest kubuntu is still far away from Ubuntu stability?
    Canonical, show only Ubuntu, why? Which are the problems that affect kubuntu?

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 vs Ubuntu 9.10

Canonical, show only Ubuntu, why?
    No they don't. Go to, for example, http://www.canonical.com/projects and click the Kubuntu link.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Truthfully there are no stability problems that I can see in 9.10. So to answer your question, there are no problems that affect Kubuntu as compared to Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Luigi

Which are the problems that affect kubuntu?
        Make a Kubuntu 9.10 Live CD, and boot it on your computer. Check networking, audio, anything else that is important to you. If there is an issue with your hardware, post the problem here and probably it can be fixed. If Kubuntu 9.10 Live CD will run solid on your computer, then you will know there is not going to be a problem to install it. (If your hard disk drive is OK ...... )

Comment

I have both installed, and I see no difference in stability.

Comment

I have both installed as well, kubuntu is actually more stable for me and except for firefox loading the first time (to also load gtk libs) kubuntu is actually snappier and happier on my lappy.

Comment

I doubt that there would be any difference in stability between the various *buntu releases of the same version.

I am however experiencing terrible instability problems with 9.10. I'm running Kubuntu but that is not the problem.

The system frequently locks up, I've managed to get to a virtual terminal once, and ctrl alt res.... has worked twice for me.

The remainder of the time it's a hard reboot.

Much worse than the stability problems that I encountered with 9.04 also.

I'd like to add that *buntu has been rock solid for me until 9.04.

Further more it's not a hardware issue as Debian SID (dual boot), runs perfectly, on the same system.

I only decided on a test install as I'd heard good things about 9.10 but to date have been bitterly dissappointed, with the stability issue.

Shame really because other than that it's looking good.

No more shall I be running or testing *buntu, it's Debian proper from here on in, not too mention given my experience with 9.04 and now 9.10 I definitely will no longer be recommending *buntu to anyone.

Comment

I have used Linux/ ubuntu a long time, after upgrading to 9.10 I was disappointed. I switched to kubuntu and I am very impressed. Kubuntu is great. Thanks.

Comment

Hi, everyone!
                  I would like to ask to you a question: The newest kubuntu is still far away from Ubuntu stability?
                  I have both running concurrently on the same partition. Basically start with Ubuntu then add Kubuntu-desktop over it. You will have the choice of KDE or Gnome at login. No problems with stability in either one, get KDE 4.3.3, it fixed all the bugs.
                  Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Originally posted by bobcollard
                    Hi, everyone!
                    I have both running concurrently on the same partition. Basically start with Ubuntu then add Kubuntu-desktop over it. You will have the choice of KDE or Gnome at login. No problems with stability in either one, get KDE 4.3.3, it fixed all the bugs.
                    I did it the other way round, installed Kubuntu and added the Gnome desktop.
                    How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

Working...
                    X