This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tick, Tock, Tick Tock.... Can't wait!!!

Karmic 9.10. The one release that has me impatient for Final release. No other release has really come this close to being exiting I've been so impressed with my testing on my Desktop system that I really can't wait to see what it will do for my laptop. Yes, the DT is more powerful, but the performance improvements have been amazing. I really hope it translates downward to that laptop. To be able to keep it going this long with out issues is great!

Re: Tick, Tock, Tick Tock.... Can't wait!!!

While I can't even begin to imagine trying to troubleshoot this (maybe nvidia 185 )... but my mouse (maybe the entire screen) locks up every 30 seconds-ish for a very brief instant... I honestly don't know what I am going to do.

I just might regret this update more than any other update in the past... 4.3 from ppa on JJ was pretty darn solid. Now I have vertical panel bug regressions, a stutter in my screen, and oh yeah, the installer crashed during the update, so I'm also on a brand new partition... pretty disappointing.

I guess the only positive I have seen in the RC is that wireless worked out-of-the-box with absolutely no problem... no wicd or anything. It just worked. That and the QtCurve theme really does blend very well with Oxygen now... that is a welcome change to the defaults.

Nice new pic there MoonRise!

lol... it keeps getting weirder... firefox just freaked and sent my processor to 80C... and when I closed it System Monitor showed it with 106% of the CPU...

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
      While I can't even begin to imagine trying to troubleshoot this (maybe nvidia 185 )... but my mouse (maybe the entire screen) locks up every 30 seconds-ish for a very brief instant... I honestly don't know what I am going to do.

I just might regret this update more than any other update in the past... 4.3 from ppa on JJ was pretty darn solid. Now I have vertical panel bug regressions, a stutter in my screen, and oh yeah, the installer crashed during the update, so I'm also on a brand new partition... pretty disappointing.

I guess the only positive I have seen in the RC is that wireless worked out-of-the-box with absolutely no problem... no wicd or anything. It just worked. That and the QtCurve theme really does blend very well with Oxygen now... that is a welcome change to the defaults.

lol... it keeps getting weirder... firefox just freaked and sent my processor to 80C... and when I closed it System Monitor showed it with 106% of the CPU...
      Sounds like a bad Karmic reaction.
      ba dum dish! thank you, I'll be here all week! please don't forget to tip your waitress!

in all seriousness, I'm anxious too, but only because I'm going north for the weekend, and really don't want to rebuild while in the sticks.
      # make install --not-war

Comment

I guess the only positive I have seen in the RC is that wireless worked out-of-the-box with absolutely no problem... no wicd or anything. It just worked. That and the QtCurve theme really does blend very well with Oxygen now... that is a welcome change to the default
        ts

Well that's good to hear.
        But after a bad upgrade experience last time I'm more looking forward to the LTS version.

Comment

All I can say KK runs great on my little travelmate.

Kwin effects is fast, kde network manager works for wireless, but I had to install network-manager-gnome and the provider list to get my broadband mobile working with kde network manager.

Grub2 is behaving and everything else looks great.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hate to hear that. Hopefully it will straighten out. I really think you'll like it. I do like hearing about NM. That was my biggest concern. I'll find out today!

Snowhog suggested the change in my pic in a round about way on another subject. thanks for the positive feedback!

Comment

Just got this on the main site but still no download page yet
              Attached Files

Comment

This? ->
                http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/releases..../kubuntu/9.10/

I just got the alternate i386.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

more generally ->
                  https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KarmicKoala...buntu/Download
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                    Karmic 9.10. ...I really can't wait to see what it will do for my laptop...
                    I hope you noticed this in the release notes...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...to/+bug/345126

Hibernation may be unavailable with automatic partitioning

The default partitioning recipe in the installer will in some cases allocate a swap partition that is smaller than the physical memory in the system. This will prevent the use of hibernation (suspend-to-disk) because the system image will not fit in the swap partition. If you intend to use hibernation with your system, you should ensure that the swap partition's size is at least as large as the system's physical RAM.

Comment

Just got this on the main site but still no download page yet
                      Somebody misspelt Finally. :P

Thankfully they've since fixed it, lol.

Comment

Karmic 9.10. ...I really can't wait to see what it will do for my laptop...
                        I hope you noticed this in the release notes...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...to/+bug/345126

Hibernation may be unavailable with automatic partitioning

The default partitioning recipe in the installer will in some cases allocate a swap partition that is smaller than the physical memory in the system. This will prevent the use of hibernation (suspend-to-disk) because the system image will not fit in the swap partition. If you intend to use hibernation with your system, you should ensure that the swap partition's size is at least as large as the system's physical RAM.
                        Didn't see this until now but had some what of an issue. I did my own partitioning but still had the hibernation issue. Since fixed in another thread. Thanks for the link. At least I now know why it happened.

Comment

Working...
                        X