This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Karmic review

I have to say this is the best KDE so far.

My wireless broadcom 4328 card worked basically out of the box. I had to do the normal updates. Then install the provided broadcom hardware driver and plug in the wep. That was it and that is a first for me with Kubuntu.

No hang ups in the install. Basically everything works perfect except some Java but I am using 64bit and that is pretty much a Linux problem.

Air looks great. DVD play works out of the box. Music plays out of the box. Amarok recovers lyrics and album art out of the box. Flash works out of the box.

The only problem I seem to be having is for some reason extract here doesn't show it's progress and I can't see what is extracted without closing and then opening the folder, and for some reason ark opens empty on startup. I think it's a small bug.

All in all, I love it.

Re: My Karmic review

Originally posted by BigCityCat
    I have to say this is the best KDE so far.
    +1

In fact, with KDE 4.3.2, Kubuntu is the best distro/desktop I have ever used in 40 years of computing on all types of hardware using all kinds of operating systems.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Agreed. I am truly amazed about everything.

I have no machine faster than 1.6 GHz, but it is so light on its feet compared to even, dare I say, Arch Linux with KDEMod (Chakra Arch).

The beauty of Kubuntu over any other linux distro: everything just works, including cpu scaling, printer detection (without need to install), etc, without much work on my end.

I have it installed on 3 very different machines:

AMD based Acer aspire laptop (I think it is at least 5 years old) 1.8 Ghz with 2GB. Uses legacy broadcom fwcutter (it just worked with downloading one file!)

1.6 GHz Intel Ibm thinkpad with 2 GB. Only thing that I had to mess with is the Fn keys for Suspend and Hibernate. No swap and no big deal:-) Runs off of a CF card using the PCI express slot.

1.6 GHz Atom Asus EEE-Box with 2 GB - no swap and no big deal:-) Runs off of an SD card inserted into the SD slot. The SD card is a bit laggy but only when installing/upgrading.

Every machine configured properly, and I was NEVER crippled with an upgrade during the Alpha time.

Comment

Yep. So far on my Desktop it has been a real blast with it. Tomorrow after downloading the final release I'll be updating a JJ install on a 4 year old AMD. Does great with JJ, but with what I've seen with KK, that will be one smooth running AMD machine. I also plan on updating with a fresh install on my Acer Laptop (see sig below). Can't wait!

Comment

I kind of wish I had an old computer to revive with a Kubuntu install. I am currently using a 64bit laptop with AMD dual core processors and 4 gigs of ram. I guess the only challenge for Kubuntu here is that some of my hardware is too new.

I would love to revive an older model like you guys, but at least I know I don't have to chunk an old pc again.

Comment

Well...I got to thank the development Team here, they've done a magnificent job with Kubuntu and should be awarded with 10 brownie points or the equivalent in Coffee Beans since the whole system is bang up-to-date and really kool! Very happy Kubuntuite Terabyte
            Terabyte<br /><br />Non sibi sed omnibus (Not for oneself, but for all)

Comment

Working...
            X