This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dibl's Desktop image he posted

It's not as cool as I imagined -- here's what I came up with (before I noticed Snowhog had a jpeg):

[img width=400 height=300]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2825/win7bsod2.png[/img]
    By dibl

Comment

What does it look like if you set the Desktop to "Folder View"? Might look a little better.

Comment

Hmmm. Well, that shadow in the upper left is the "Folder view" of my "Desktop". If I change it to "/home/dibl" then it becomes a cluttered mess of all the junk in my home folder.

What are you thinking Moon? I don't think I'm understanding you. :P

Comment

Right Click on the DT and select Desktop Settings. Just below the text "Desktop Activity" change it to "Folder View" That makes the DT similar to old school DT.

Comment

:P Yeah, that's what it already is

I think this is as good as it gets. I can make the folder go away, but it still looks like MS giving bad news.

Comment

I've been reconstructing what I did at work when I did my "Win 7 Beta Test". Hope to have a screen shot of it soon. It really was a riot!

Comment

Two things.

(1) Maybe you can have it go to screen saver after a minute. Do your "visual" show of the new "Windows 7". Stop and talk to them about what they saw. After a minute of idle that BSOD appears with no other DT objects in the way. That should make it appear more real.

(2) While fixing up the system I had before tagged as Win7, somebody walk in and saw it and said "Oh, we have Windows 7 now". Of course I lead them on a while before letting them know the truth, but that is how easy that joke is. They believe it too.

Comment

I'm back to the "aurora green" wallpaper that you linked me to, Moon. That just reeks of Win 7, so I'll use it for my little demo.

FYI, another funny-looking thing happens when I run my Beta Win 7 VM on top of that green Win 7 wallpaper. I have the Win 7 Beta in its default "Kubuntu blue" background, so it gets real green-'n-blue nauseous when I spin the Compiz cube. Should be fun!

Comment

OK. Upgraded that AMD system to KK. Lost my Desktop effects, but was able to reproduce what I had "designed" as my Win7 Beta test Machine. As I said, I had them convienced. Notice the IE icon and Trash icons. Both functional and convincing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now all you need to do, is get the Cylindar desktop effect set up, get it going, and make a video capture (Fintan or GreyGeek has a recent post on doing that I believe) and show that to your Windows 7 friends, and say, "Hey, I just might switch back to Windows. This cool desktop feature is way cool!" How many of them do you think, will try desperately to find the settings in their copy that does what you show them you got yours to do!!

Can you just image the phone calls to Tech Support at M$?
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Having trouble with the OpenChrome driver at the moment. When logging in it looks as though it will go to the DT, but then exits immediately to the Login screen again. Change the driver to vesa and all is well. Haven't dealt with VIA/Openchrome graphics before. Once I get it, I'll show a desktop effects sequence sure enough.

Comment

Working...
                        X