This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredibly dissapointed with Kubuntu Karmic - so far

Yes, I have to say it: I'm dissapointed with Kubuntu Karmic. I recently upgraded from Intrepid to Jaunty so I could then upgrade to Karmic. Jaunty was okay. Everything worked. And important to me, I had working compositing, allowing me to use the Advanced Desktop effects. But after upgrading to Karmic, I lost that. A definite step backwards. Yes, I have an intel Integrated Graphics Controller, and yes, I've heard/seen posts here and there, that Karmic has 'issues' with the intel Integrated Graphics Controller(s). But, previous versions of Kubuntu (and Ubuntu - one of my three installed OSs) worked just fine with it. Because compositing isn't working, moving around in the Desktop and applications (except for consoles - 2D, not 3D) is very sluggish. I can't operate that way.

Had a large update tonight, but nothing upgraded resulted in compositing being re-enabled. I'll keep Karmic and upgrade through the final release and hope that compositing gets resolved. If it doesn't, I'll seriously have to consider removing it completely from my system.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Incredibly dissapointed with Kubuntu Karmic - so far

That's weird I had the exact opposite experience. I run Kubuntu on a T61 with an Intel GM965. Prior to Karmic I couldn't get compositing to run with out everything slowing to a crawl. On Karmic now, everything runs great.

Comment

That's weird I had the exact opposite experience. I run Kubuntu on a T61 with an Intel GM965. Prior to Karmic I couldn't get compositing to run with out everything slowing to a crawl. On Karmic now, everything runs great.
      I concur.

Hmmm.....
      Did you upgrade to KK from your intrepid->Jaunty?

I did a clean alpha 5 install and kept on upgrading from there on my travelmate and desktop effects work just fine.
      Almost no slowdown compared to 2D.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Snowhog there have been large changes going on in several *buntu domains, that may have conspired to cause an unhappy "planetary alignment" for some Intel GPUs:

- HAL instead of /etc/X11/xorg.conf for handling video
        - new X.org video display system (I think that came in Jaunty)
        - Intel drivers in various stages of not keeping up

Did you look into this thread over at Ubuntu Forum?:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Here, I just installed the new 190.42 RC Nvidia driver (manual install, not "Hardware Drivers") on Kubuntu, and I must say I have only found one very minor bug, which may be due to running Compiz instead of kwin. When I click the network icon on my panel, and it pops open, the lowest menu item which I think is "configure settings" is actually completely hidden behind the panel. Happily I don't need it, I only discovered it while helping someone else. Also, the greeting tune is a little bit "foreshortened" I guess you'd say - kind jumps in at the third stanza or something. But I was using it to scan a document this morning, and sound and video and everything is looking just great here.

Comment

I found a post last night (Ubuntuforums?) that talked about the issue with the intel driver and the *new* drm2* libraries being used in Karmic (Jaunty and earlier used drm*). drm2* isn't compatible with the intel drivers. I guess I can hope that this will be rectified.

Fintan@
          I did an upgrade from Jaunty. I tested the idea that upgrading from an existing Jaunty might somehow be at fault, so I downloaded the RC .iso for Karmic and tried it in LiveCD mode. No go. Still no compositing.

Comment

xserver-common xserver-xorg-core updated tonight, but still no joy in compositing-ville with my Intel GPU. Still two day until final. One can still hope.

Comment

Working...
            X