X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu "in a downward spiral" acording to DistroWatch

Originally posted by claydoh
    I have to say it, but the jaunty wireless problems and kpackagekit borkage was a very bad thing for Kubuntu. Karmic fixes all that as far as I have seen, but the damage has been done to our reputation.
    I agree. I thought of proposing a blueprint for Kubuntu, in terms of QA, so that something like this doesn't happen again. If a native KDE package is not working by the beta stage, let's just use the default Ubuntu one. In this case, shipping with Synaptic would have been a million times better in Jaunty than shipping with KPackageKit, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul

The thing about Kubuntu, and others, is that no one said I had to use it, and I didn't pay for it. The coders have absolutely no obligation to me beyond what they personally choose.
      Very well said, Ole!

We may be users, but we are not customers. Customers have paid for their product, and have some entitlement to support. Linux users are merely non-paying beneficiaries of the work of the developers. All the yammering about "how it should be" does not change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
        I've searched Distrowatch and Google for the article and finally gave up.
        It is here: http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1032
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post the link Telengard. I was looking for Laidslaw.

@dibl
          We may be users, but we are not customers.
          You say it even better!

Comment

For a "downward spiral" I am really enjoying the ride!

If this is a downward spiral then VISTA must have been in a power dive with their wing sheered off.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
              Originally posted by Telengard
              • Kubuntu releases don't sync with KDE releases
              This one I don't really get. After all, kubuntu releases with the latest kde (no more than a month old)...and I've always thought it's better to release with a bug-fix point release than a fresh point zero release.

And I'm pretty sure having different release dates for ubuntu and kubuntu would cause more problems that it could possibly solve.

Of course criticism is just that, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even bloggers :P
              Agree to the whole thing here. But it goes back to what I've always said. "Nothing is perfect and never will be. One can't expect objects created by humans to be perfect when humans are not perfect. Period."

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                "Nothing is perfect and never will be. One can't expect objects created by humans to be perfect when humans are not perfect. Period."
                I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

See what I mean!

Same thing happened to me once too.

Comment

I must say, if Intrepid (KDE 4.0) didn't kill Kubuntu, nothing will.

KDE 4.4 is very stable, thank you very much. (haven't tried 4.5 yet).

Kubuntu Karmic Koala was pretty pleasurable and was one of my favorites. Lucid Lynx is faster except for bootup, due to the ill-conceived Plymouth splash manager (a Red Hat product for Gnome) and, for some wirless cards, Network manager (another buggy Red Hat product).

Apart from these niggles (I use Wicd instead of network manager), Lucid is far nicer than Intrepid ever was, and I see Kubuntu is now gaining ground on Distrowatch.

With a new version of Gnome coming up (the equivalent of KDE 4.0), it will be interesting to see what happens to Ubuntu in distrowatch.

If KDE solidifies its groupware platform (using Kolab with Koffice, for example), it will secure a business-oriented berth that will be difficult to unseat.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
                      I must say, if Intrepid (KDE 4.0) didn't kill Kubuntu, nothing will.
                      Intrepid came with KDE 4.1.2...Rougher ride for sure, but still not 4.0

Comment

Working...
                      X