Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE4 overtaking GNOME in terms of usability?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 overtaking GNOME in terms of usability?

http://www.nuxified.org/blog/kde4-ov...erms-usability

"In short, as KDE4.0 rapidly becomes more and more comfortable in its new skin, improving significantly with each release and unfolding it's potential like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly GNOME is facing a major shift with an interface change that seems to go beyond what KDE4 underwent."

"KDE is known to allow the user to adjust far more options than GNOME (which has been known to hide options for the sake of usability). KDE3 therefore often ended up seeming complex and overwhelming yet KDE4 appears to be succeeding in blending this flexibility with ease of use as is perhaps best testified by its new control panel, but also to some degree the various configuration dialog styles across the system."

"I only wish Kubuntu was given more attention in the Ubuntu development process. It still does to some extent feel like a second class citizen, yet I think it is more deserving of spotlight than ever before."
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Re: KDE4 overtaking GNOME in terms of usability?

Just to say that I totally agree with you, that in my honest opinion that KDE is a far more intuitiveness desktop that GNOME and just nicer all round.

All I can say is well done to the KDE team and Kubuntu to code/package and give it to us.
    codingfriends

Comment

My first attempt to jump ship to Linux was with a distro that used GNOME, but it never caught my attention enough to want to learn what I was doing. When I made my second attempt, it was purely by chance that the person who decided to help me was running a distro that KDE was the default desktop environment for. When that went better, I elected to stay with KDE over GNOME from then on out.

That said, I just installed Enlightenment on my laptop, to give that a go again. I'll probably stick with KDE on my desktop, just because it's comfortable and familiar, but having the option of the lighter weight E on the laptop may help my performance when running on battery. So we'll see if I can get it settled in like I want... or if I come running back to KDE full time with my tail tucked between my legs.

Comment

Have a look at this:

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...01502635OPKEOO

and this quote:
        # Jonathan Riddell on Thu, 15th Oct 2009 6:12 pm

The road to KDE 4 has been long and hard. Although it has given KDE the best platform available, the rewrite has ment gaps where tools were not re-written. Network management is the most prominant case there but there are several others (printer config, bluetooth etc).

Kubuntu is a KDE distribution, we use only KDE and are the only major distribution to do so. This means when KDE misses something we do too, we can only ship with what exists. Unforunately when Jaunty released there was no good KDE network manager. That hurts but there wasn’t any better KDE choice. Karmic is much improved.

I’m very glad we ship with the KDE artwork, I consider it the best out there and one of the strengths of KDE 4.

> If I was a developer, I would be thrilled to help out.

Cool, come join us in #kubuntu-devel, we need testers and community supporters and docs writers as much as anything else
        @DK: you might want to try this on your laptop, it worked wonders on mine:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106858.0

Either one works, lmilano's or mine.
        Enjoy
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
        X