This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better late than never

I debated - my Intrepid Ibex was working perfectly - about upgrading to Jaunty. I'm considering upgrading to Karmic when it goes 'official' in a few days, and know that if I decide to do so, doing it from Jaunty will be much smoother.

So today, I decided to make the move. Happy to say, it went flawlessly. Everything that worked in Intrepid is working in Jaunty. In fact, my desktop appearance is exactly as it was. That's very nice. If it wasn't for the fact that the grub menu entries reflected 9.04, I would not have known that I was now running on Jaunty. That's the ideal transition - one that you can't tell occurred.

Added: Well, appears that all is not well - yet. nspluginviewer (Konqueror) crashes:
    Attached Files
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Better late than never

Originally posted by Snowhog

Added: Well, appears that all is not well - yet. nspluginviewer (Konqueror) crashes:
    This must be the most crashing program in the history of KDE. Consistently, across releases, since ... KDE 2.* I think? Up until now. And really, one of the two main reasons Konqueror is hard to use as a main browser (the otehr being that a small percentage of webpages "don't work" in it.

Oh well, I am glad it generally went well, I am already running Karmic on my netbook and loving it. The desktop will wait because it still using the ATI binary driver (Catalyst). BTW, in 10.04 the desktop is going fully opensource with 3D support for all ATI chipsets. Gotta love how good things are getting!

Comment

I'm sure you've already researched this, but (for those who haven't). This problem with nspluginviewer seems to have been hanging around since people started trying to use Netscape plugins in Konq. The only solution seems to be to lower it's niceness value to where it's hogging the CPU. Most people seem to find that unacceptable. Why not just use Ff, if you want Ff plugins?

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
        The only solution seems to be to lower it's niceness value...
        I doubt that. It worked flawlessly in Intrepid without any tweaking. I have installed Firefox, but I really would like to have full use of Konqueror.

Comment

Well! I un-installed and then reinstalled konqueror-nsplugins. I no longer have the nspluginviewer crash. Hmm.

Comment

It worked flawlessly in Intrepid without any tweaking.
            Well then, it will certainly work properly in Jaunty.

I un-installed and then reinstalled konqueror-nsplugins. I no longer have the nspluginviewer crash.
            Have you run a memory check lately?

Comment

I un-installed and then reinstalled konqueror-nsplugins. I no longer have the nspluginviewer crash.
              You mean fsked with the disk?

Seriously, these sort of issues are more likely to be an inconsistency in the filesystem (because of being consistent, as opposed to random memory issues)

I know this is not scientific proof, but on my (pioneering) eeepc 701, which carries a very erarly type of ssd, I got rid of some weird behavior once I started running fsck on a 3 day schedule.

Comment

No, but I seriously doubt that it is a memory problem. Let me clarify that. I doubt it is a physical memory chip problem. It could have been a memory (RAM) (mis)allocation problem. I didn't 'write it down,' so can't now, say for certain that I retried Konqueror after installing FF. Therefore, I can't conclusively say that installing FF had anything to do with fixing nspluginviewer. No matter. I'm happy that Konqueror is once again fully functional for me.

Comment

I installed Amarok Neon today (Re: Amarok 2 and audio CDs) so I could play my music CDs - again. And I'm happy as a clam that using headphones still works as they should - plug them in and the speakers cut out. Unplug the headphones and the speakers resume. Sweet. 8)

Comment

I'll have to say "Better late than buggy". It may be better to keep KDE3 as default until 9.10 releases. since pre-KDE4.3 series are too buggy.

BTW: If you upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic, you may need to manually change your KDM login theme.

Try it, the new KDM login theme is way better than that from Intrepid and Jaunty.

Comment

keep KDE3 as default until 9.10 releases. since pre-KDE4.3 series are too buggy.
                      9.10 HAS released. KDE 4.3.2 is now the default, and it is not "buggy".
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just added the ppa repository and upgraded to KDE 4.3.2 (Jauntu 9.04). All is good - so far.

Reading from KDE 4.3.3 Release Announcement

"KDE 4.3.3 is a recommended update for everyone running KDE 4.3.2 or earlier versions."

Hmm. I've been running KDE 4.3.2 for ah, 10 minutes? Time to upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                          keep KDE3 as default until 9.10 releases. since pre-KDE4.3 series are too buggy.
                          Oh, KDE 4.3.2 not buggy, so why there is KDE 4.3.3? note that this is a bug fix version. ;-)

Anyway, I'm saying pre-KDE4.3 series are too buggy, not mentioning the KDE 4.3.2.

The new KDM screen in KDE4.3 is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
                            Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            Oh, KDE 4.3.2 not buggy, so why there is KDE 4.3.3? note that this is a bug fix version. ;-)

Anyway, I'm saying pre-KDE4.3 series are too buggy, not mentioning the KDE 4.3.2.

The new KDM screen in KDE4.3 is really good.
                            Panz, there is a world of difference between an application that has bugs, and one that is buggy. The only application that I know of that does not have any bugs is the Space Shuttle control program. In that code EVERY LINE is signed off and it is one of the most throughly checked application in software history.

It is prohibitively expensive for most developers to create an application that is bug free. So, the question is: "are the bugs few enough, or in areas of less importance, that they don't interfere with normal/common use of the application?" An application that has bugs is still useful. In fact, there are examples of applications that have been used for several years before an esoteric bug was encountered. Buggy applications, on the other hand, have so many bugs and in such critical places, that the application is, for all practical purposes, unusable in a "production" mode. Interestingly, even Alpha and Beta software can be very useful and appear to be bug free while it is being developed. Then, as more changes or features are added the application breaks, and becomes less reliable. Then those bugs are fixed and the application moves from Alpha 4 to Alpha 3, or to Beta, or to RC1, or wherever it is on the development schedule.

When an application is released for general use it does not mean that there are not any bugs in it. It does mean that for most people, using it for the general purpose to which it was intended, it will find it to be reliable and stable.

However, installing from a bad LiveCD can cause chaos in an installation, or it can introduce subtle problems in certain areas. So can making bad choices during an install, or installing into unusual circumstances. It all depends on what 0's & 1's were corrupted during the burn, which results in a bad app being installed. For example, when you get kernel msgs which says the kernel had serious problems during the boot up and you continue to use the installation, ANY and ALL reports of "bad applications" are worthless.

This is also why, when one encounters what they believe to be a a bug in an application the PROPER thing to do, rather than posts whines or rants in the forum or elsewhere, is to collect the appropriate information and file a bug report. This is helped along with a "Report a Bug" option on the Help menu of most Kubuntu KDE4 apps. Or, one can browse to the Kubuntu Launchpad and file a report manually. Either the Kubuntu Launchpad or bugs.kde.org have instructions on how to file a useful bug report.

Why do that? Because developers usually have full time jobs to support themselves and their families, and they VOLUNTEER to write this software in their spare time FOR FREE. They don't have time to browse this forum or any other Linux watering hole to look for useful information in rants or complaints. In fact, MOST rants, whines or complains usually contain NO useful information at all, or are full of disinformation. If people who can't even write a single application and have no clue about how bugs are found and fixed, especially in a project as large as Kubuntu, are constantly slapping developers in the face with fallacious criticism, questioning their intelligence (that's rich, coming from folks who can't code!), and God knows what else, what do they expect to gain? They would become enraged if such attacks were made on them, but they don't see any problem with "the beatings will continue until moral improves" being applied to developers. Strange indeed.

KDE 4.3.2 is the BEST desktop on this planet. It is the most powerful yet easy to use interface I have ever had the joy of using, and after 40 years of using computers I've used a lot of desktops.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                            X