This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between a rock and a hard place ....

For all you folks who still have to write apps with MSVS ....

Before I retired, over a year ago, I was using MS Visual Studio 2003 at work to compile apps built with Qt4. I heard that my replacement recently upgraded to version 2005. Now he is between a rock an a hard place.
    If he doesn't patch MSVS 2005 with the KB971090 security patch he risks malware exposure. If he does, client PCs won't be able to run his executable.

http://www.ives.fr/index.php/blog/post/19

Of the four solutions proposed it seems the only one that works is to remove KB971090.

To make matters worse:
    We also noticed that some client PCs running Windows Vista had updated build 3053 (not 4053) and when we tried to ship build 4053 as private assembly, Windows complained that the two assemblies were in conflict (although we were shipping the MFC and CRT as private assemblies). This conflict message was so undocumented that nobody seems to have encountered the situation. So the simplest solution was to remove this security fix.

I am not sure this is sustainable when Windows 7 will start to be around ...
    I'm wondering.... is it "security" or is Microsoft trying to force developers, and hence users, to "upgrade" to Win7?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Between a rock and a hard place ....

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    I'm wondering.... is it "security" or is Microsoft trying to force developers, and hence users, to "upgrade" to Win7?
    You have to even ask? Remember, it was the same M$ who argued that Internet Explorer "couldn't be separated" from Windoze, yet, they ultimately did.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The way I understand it, everything Microsoft "just works" so presumably this is just a little misunderstanding. Give em a call and I'm sure they'll fix ya right up - tell em Ole sent ya.

Comment

they'll fix ya right up
        in a month or two or three or......

just remember it's not broken till m$ says it's broken but they will fix it that afternoon. that is after they tell you it's broken

<br />[img width=200 height=120]http://photo.tazgeers.com/lMy_linux.png[/img]<br /> <br />Intel P4 @ 1.8GHZ<br />1 GB Ram | 2560x1024 Resolution on twinview<br />Nvidia Geforce4 mx440 agp8x Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10 w/KDE 4.3.1<br />

Comment

DaddyGeek,
          I LOVE that animation of Tux pounding away at the guts of a PC!! May I use it?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek
            May I use it?
            yes do what you will.
            <br />[img width=200 height=120]http://photo.tazgeers.com/lMy_linux.png[/img]<br /> <br />Intel P4 @ 1.8GHZ<br />1 GB Ram | 2560x1024 Resolution on twinview<br />Nvidia Geforce4 mx440 agp8x Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10 w/KDE 4.3.1<br />

Comment

Working...
            X