This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUI x SHELL for not often used options

During thinking of my topic Change Computer Name I tried to write down all necessary steps to get to the shell solution in that case:

1. To sniffle around System Settings for GUI solution
    2. To learn English
    3. To learn to set keyword combination in English to find something relevant on Google
    4. To read in English outdated or irrelevant articles before finding the solution
    5. To learn to change a system file with root access
    6. To do it

Points 3. and 4. can be changed for
    - To search for some solution in old topics on KubuntuForums
    - To learn to register on Kubuntuforums and to do it
    - To learn to start a topic and write it in English
    - To check the topic and to wait for responses

I understand, that some shell commands for everyday use are useful to learn for everybody, but that was not the case.

It was written for those who might think that it doesn't matter that GUI solution doesn't exist in this and in some other cases and for those who might think that shell solutions are easy for everybody.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Re: GUI x SHELL for not often used options

I appreciate your difficulties with having to learn English to use this site. I'm almost speechless in French, Spanish, German, and Russian, (the languages, I've tried, but failed to learn). I can only suggest that you get involved with the appropriate LoCoTeam and see if there is a mechanism to get answers without learning English.

However, you're probably going to be stuck with the command line in any language. The reason is twofold: (1) It is easier to describe a solution with a single command e.g. "start a konsole and enter the command ...", then it is to describe a series of mouse clicks. (2) The command line interface changes much less rapidly than the graphical user interface. Look at the difference between the graphical interface in Hardy and in Jaunty. There is (almost) no difference in the command line interface.

Comment

Re: GUI x SHELL for not often used options

After more than thirty years dealing with computer and common English I have no problems with it nor I have problems with command line as I worked on computers even before MS-DOS.

I thought that I would change computer name in a minute after my ten years experience as a design office domain administrator and it took me quarter of an hour. I know to change computer name is not a big deal, but there are worse, for example network connection, which can discourage people from using Kubuntu.

I only tried to imagine and write down problems of common users even from other countries than English speaking. I think Kubuntu needs them too to solve well known bug No 1.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
      X