This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office 2007 on Windows XP

(puke) Does anyone else have to put up with the horrible lack of gui continuity that is Office 2007 on Windows XP If you find GTK apps on KDE a struggle to deal with visually, stay away from that Microsoft eyesore... I simply cannot believe it every day... what the heck were they thinking?!?

And Outlook 2007 looks like something they pieced together over a weekend. Geez that is an awful looking package.

(Functionality/freedom/etc. posts elsewhere please... that is a different subject - not that I really care if a rant/vent goes off-topic!) :P

Re: Office 2007 on Windows XP

I've seen Office 2007. What a DOG! It is so totally different from Office 2003, which is what I still use at work - that is, until we switch over to Vista next month! :P
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

until we switch over to Vista next month
      You are going to be VERY, VERY sorry!

Comment

You aren't telling me anything I don't know. I, and my boss, both have laptops - we both have 'custom' images, as we both have programs that everyone else does not have. I've suggested to him, that "Fine. We're going to get Vista. Tell them the ONLY way I or you get Vista, is with a second laptop. We will ensure that our other programs will work with it. If not, well, we keep our XP Pro laptops - period."
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"Ribbons" on AutoCAD is about the only thing sicker than Office 2007 on XP... seriously... what are they thinking

Comment

As a person that has several clients who use Vista, my most recent problems have been with them signing up for "Windows Live" even though they don't need it. If you want a real hassle, install "Windows Live". Personally, I use OO in Windows when I have to use Windows. Which is about once a month.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
              (puke) Does anyone else have to put up with the horrible lack of gui continuity that is Office 2007 on Windows XP If you find GTK apps on KDE a struggle to deal with visually, stay away from that Microsoft eyesore... I simply cannot believe it every day... what the heck were they thinking?!?

And Outlook 2007 looks like something they pieced together over a weekend. Geez that is an awful looking package.

(Functionality/freedom/etc. posts elsewhere please... that is a different subject - not that I really care if a rant/vent goes off-topic!) :P
              YES.

My employer who shall remain nameless is so far into Microsoft's pocket that you can't even log onto the corporate intranet without running a Microsoft OS (although some sneaky guys know how to do it with a Windows VM on a Linux box ). We got Office 2007 jammed down our throats about 3 months ago, and it is just a slow slog through the swamp. I demonstrated how it brought my old Dell computer to a crawl, and so they gave me a new Dell laptop. Hah -- think of that -- fixing Microsoft software by buying new computers to run it on.

Comment

Hah -- think of that -- fixing Microsoft software by buying new computers to run it on.
                And that is the business model that keeps the personal computer industry profitable.

Suppose, you had an operating system that provided more applications you can think of (including plenty of eye candy) and ran acceptably on "obsolete" hardware. Nobody could make a dime in that environment. You'd have to be a millionaire giving the software away for free, with software maintenance and tech support provided primarily by volunteers. That'll never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  You'd have to be a millionaire giving the software away for free, with software maintenance and tech support provided primarily by volunteers. That'll never happen.

Comment

If you really want a credible, experienced opinion on Office 2007, talk to any secretary or administrative assistant, the people on the front lines. The few I know say that 2007 is a complete and total train wreck that makes them dread their daily work.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The problem with Office 2007 is not that it is defective or particularly buggy, as far as I can tell. The problem is that it suffers from a raging case of "changed for the sake of making it different" (i.e. "job security for MS software developers"). But it is not obvious to me that the functionality is any better. The more proficient a person was with the prior version, the more their proficiency is destroyed by the new version. If you never used MS Office before, you'd probably say (about 2007) "it works". But if you were pretty good with Office 2003, you have just had your personal productivity reset to 2004. Not a pleasant experience for most people, who like to be productive in their work.

Comment

Does anyone else have to put up with the horrible lack of gui continuity
                        Not only CAD Autocad 2010 follows the leadership of Microsoft, but CAD Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5 and new version of CAD SolidEdge are the same. I think we are facing the new standard in GUI. OO will follow.
                        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
                          +1

I need my CAD buttons to ALWAYS just be there... I never really took to the keyboard shortcuts, and I am crazy fast with a mouse, so it was never a big deal... I can't imagine how difficult it will be constantly slowing down to switch tabs on the ribbon... it's bad enough with Office 2007...

Comment

Working...
                          X